FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Calendar not alerting anymore
joemikeb #63358 02/07/23 10:33 PM
OP Offline

Yes I'm always amazed at the inaccuracy of it. I wonder if they can't get it right, why put a time on it at all? I now have to wait about 55 more minutes for Monterey to download. From the way it's been going, that seems about right for now.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower
I went back into the apple logo and about then software updates. I clicked on it and Monterey started downloading again but this time it looked like it had been partially downloaded already and within 60 seconds said I had a two day wait for it to finish and now it says 2 hours. I think that's normal as it never gets it right. Hopefully, things will work out this time as long as my Mac doesn't suddenly close down like it did a few hours ago for no apparent reason.

Those time estimates are a joke! Last night I was updating my AppleTV (the device, not the app) and the time estimate went from 3 minutes to 58 minutes and then 3+ hours and the entire process completed in a little moree than 7 minutes with a normal install.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #63359 02/07/23 11:41 PM
OP Offline

I finished downloading Monterey. When trying to install I keep getting the message I don't have enough space on my SSD. And now Safari Tech won't open. Luckily Firefox will. This is a pic of my Disk Utility I don't know why so many things are on there, but I would like to get rid of some if possible. Not sure why Catalina is on there twice. I named my thumb drive Catalina which will be changed to Monterey if I ever get it installed. Any ideas?

I went back into the apple logo and about then software updates. I clicked on it and Monterey started downloading again but this time it looked like it had been partially downloaded already and within 60 seconds said I had a two day wait for it to finish and now it says 2 hours. I think that's normal as it never gets it right. Hopefully, things will work out this time as long as my Mac doesn't suddenly close down like it did a few hours ago for no apparent reason.

Those time estimates are a joke! Last night I was updating my AppleTV (the device, not the app) and the time estimate went from 3 minutes to 58 minutes and then 3+ hours and the entire process completed in a little moree than 7 minutes with a normal install.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63360 02/08/23 02:31 AM

I had already upgraded Firefox but didn't think to update it in my profile. I don't see a way to upgrade Safari Tech Preview for Catalina. I also don't see where I can update my OS. Usually it has an update link in my Mac but I don't see one.

Software Technology Preview updates are handled through the same update mechanism as the OS. In Ventura, you will find macOS and STP updates under System Settings > General > Software update just like in iOS and iPadOS. Prior to that it was found in System Preferences > Software Update, but I don't remember if that goes all the way back to Catalina. FWIW the current version of Software Technology Preview in Ventura is Release 162 (Safari 16.4, WebKit 18615.1.18.2).

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63361 02/08/23 02:45 AM
OP Offline

See my post above this that has a picture of my disk utility. I need to pare it down or I cannot install Monterey it seems.

I had already upgraded Firefox but didn't think to update it in my profile. I don't see a way to upgrade Safari Tech Preview for Catalina. I also don't see where I can update my OS. Usually it has an update link in my Mac but I don't see one.

Software Technology Preview updates are handled through the same update mechanism as the OS. In Ventura, you will find macOS and STP updates under System Settings > General > Software update just like in iOS and iPadOS. Prior to that it was found in System Preferences > Software Update, but I don't remember if that goes all the way back to Catalina. FWIW the current version of Software Technology Preview in Ventura is Release 162 (Safari 16.4, WebKit 18615.1.18.2).

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63363 02/08/23 11:32 AM

Your "Get Info" screenshot <https://imgur.com/4bXvk0Z> shows that you've got only 17.5 GB of free space on your SSD, which is not enough to allow for an upgrade + headroom.

If you want to upgrade to Monterey, you'll have to clear space by either trashing or offloading data.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63364 02/08/23 05:03 PM
OP Offline

Yes, but I sent a picture of my Disk Utility above and asked what I could get rid of there. I never used to have so much stuff show up there. I don't know what the top one means either which includes the word media.. The Catalina one is my flash drive backup but one says Catalina data. I never used to have containers either. I just want to simplify it. I'm afraid to get rid of any of that and mess up my Mac. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by artie505
Your "Get Info" screenshot <https://imgur.com/4bXvk0Z> shows that you've got only 17.5 GB of free space on your SSD, which is not enough to allow for an upgrade + headroom.

If you want to upgrade to Monterey, you'll have to clear space by either trashing or offloading data.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63366 02/08/23 06:06 PM

Here's what happened twice. While d/l ing Monterey it got interrupted. But then I saw the Monterey icon on the dock. I clicked on it and it said to install. I tried that each time and that's when I got the message that I didn't have enough room. I knew it wasn't ready to install because it had only half downloaded. When my Mac shut down and came back up, I couldn't find the window that showed it was still downloading, just the icon on the dock. When I clicked on the software update, nothing happened like last time when it was actually downloading.

https://imgur.com/4bXvk0Z]SSD info

Monterey message

I don't know what to go from here as the software update button isn't working. Is there a way to see if it's downloading in the background?

[color:#3366FF]I went to install Monterey and it said I didn't have enough room on my SSD. I did have enough room on my Catalina Disk which I think is my thumb Drive that I use for SuperDuper which I named Catalina. I thought when we upgraded we just incorporated the new OS into our old one so it didn't take that much space. So, I guess I don't do it. Because if I do, I will have to constantly use my SD to use Monterey, right? Argh!
I dunno... That doesn't sound right, but maybe it is.

Please do a Get Info (command-I) on the icon for your internal drive on your desktop and post it.

Your first imgur.com link above is bad. It contains some of the coding from your color choices.

I suspect that most System upgrades retain the old System in place until the completely new one is verified; hence, the need for extra space. Your internal drive almost has enough available space. Can you do some house cleaning or temporary off-loading of items to make enough space?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #63367 02/08/23 08:41 PM
OP Offline

I want to clean house but I don't know what I can get rid of that is showing on my
https://imgur.com/a/AgWTgNJ. Maybe they will help. I didn't used to have so much stuff on my disk utility that I didn't understand. Believe or not I named the link Disk Utility Pics but it just shows the url for some reason.

I suspect that most System upgrades retain the old System in place until the completely new one is verified; hence, the need for extra space. Your internal drive almost has enough available space. Can you do some house cleaning or temporary off-loading of items to make enough space? [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63368 02/08/23 10:13 PM

Apple's new APFS file system splits your drive into two parts, one of which is labeled "Data." That part, Container disk1/Apple SSD - Data, which contains 84 GB of "something" is what you need to concern yourself with. (The other part is untouchable.)

Under ordinary circumstances, pretty much all of the 84 GB in question will be the contents of your home folder.

You need to go through your folder and delete or offload as much as you can. (I've found Users/Rita/Downloads to be a prime repository for useless data.)

As Ira said, your SSD looks like it's got enough free space to accommodate the upgrade, but the problem may be that after you upgrade you won't have enough free space for Monterey to run "comfortably."

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63369 02/08/23 11:14 PM
OP Offline

Apple's new APFS file system splits your drive into two parts, one of which is labeled "Data." That part, Container disk1/Apple SSD - Data, which contains 84 GB of "something" is what you need to concern yourself with. (The other part is untouchable.) The Library has 84 folders which all look official. Nothing I put there. I've been tediously getting rid of a lot of downloads and a few documents. I also got rid of some music. It still says I have to get rid of 7+ more gigabytes. I really don't know where that would be. That's why I put up the pic of my Disk Utility to see if there is anything there that I could safely delete. I've been reading that I could get rid of user caches but I looked and there isn't that much. I don't think even a gigabyte. I already get rid of browser cache on a regular basis. I'll keep trying but it seems futile unless there is something big I'm not seeing that I can toss. I wish I I could toss apps I never use but Apple put there. They are untossable like "chess."
Under ordinary circumstances, pretty much all of the 84 GB in question will be the contents of your home folder.

You need to go through your folder and delete or offload as much as you can. (I've found Users/Rita/Downloads to be a prime repository for useless data.) I see things there but there are pics and other things I don't want to get rid of.

As Ira said, your SSD looks like it's got enough free space to accommodate the upgrade, but the problem may be that after you upgrade you won't have enough free space for Monterey to run "comfortably."

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63370 02/08/23 11:40 PM

The Library has 84 folders which all look official. Nothing I put there. I've been tediously getting rid of a lot of downloads and a few documents. I also got rid of some music. It still says I have to get rid of 7+ more gigabytes. I really don't know where that would be. That's why I put up the pic of my Disk Utility to see if there is anything there that I could safely delete. I've been reading that I could get rid of user caches but I looked and there isn't that much. I don't think even a gigabyte. I already get rid of browser cache on a regular basis. I'll keep trying but it seems futile unless there is something big I'm not seeing that I can toss. I wish I I could toss apps I never use but Apple put there. They are untossable like "chess."
/Users/Rita/Library may have some trashable contents, but not enough to make it worth your while to go looking. (Hmmm... Take a look at /Users/Rita/Library/Mail Downloads)

Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, and Pictures are where you're going to find your excess baggage.

I'd love to get rid of most of my Apple installed apps, but as you said, Apple doesn't allow it. I've tried every way know to man with no success. No I take that back: I did it once, but the process took so long, was so cumbersome, and needed to be redone with every macOS update, so I just bit the bullet.

artie505 #63371 02/09/23 12:10 AM
OP Offline

The Library has 84 folders which all look official. Nothing I put there. I've been tediously getting rid of a lot of downloads and a few documents. I also got rid of some music. It still says I have to get rid of 7+ more gigabytes. I really don't know where that would be. That's why I put up the pic of my Disk Utility to see if there is anything there that I could safely delete. I've been reading that I could get rid of user caches but I looked and there isn't that much. I don't think even a gigabyte. I already get rid of browser cache on a regular basis. I'll keep trying but it seems futile unless there is something big I'm not seeing that I can toss. I wish I I could toss apps I never use but Apple put there. They are untossable like "chess."
/Users/Rita/Library may have some trashable contents, but not enough to make it worth your while to go looking. (Hmmm... Take a look at /Users/Rita/Library/Mail Downloads)

Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, and Pictures are where you're going to find your excess baggage.

The only things I can get rid of (or that I want to get rid of) are some of the documents and downloads. I finished the music. There are no movies. Just a few family and pet pics. Some are easy, but some have to be clicked on to even know what they are. That's what's tiresome and boring. It took awhile then I stopped at the "e's". I'll pick up again tomorrow. Thanks, Artie. I guess there's nothing that shows up in my Disk Utility that I can ditch, right?

I'd love to get rid of most of my Apple installed apps, but as you said, Apple doesn't allow it. I've tried every way know to man with no success. No I take that back: I did it once, but the process took so long, was so cumbersome, and needed to be redone with every macOS update, so I just bit the bullet.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63372 02/09/23 12:32 AM

The only things I can get rid of (or that I want to get rid of) are some of the documents and downloads. I finished the music. There are no movies. Just a few family and pet pics. Some are easy, but some have to be clicked on to even know what they are. That's what's tiresome and boring. It took awhile then I stopped at the "e's". I'll pick up again tomorrow. Thanks, Artie. I guess there's nothing that shows up in my Disk Utility that I can ditch, right?
Disk Utility shows you your OS structure, not its contents. There's nothing you can see there that's a part of your problem.

I'm pretty sure you've got an external drive, so if you can't trash enough data to complete your Monterey upgrade, you'll have to park some stuff on it at least until you're done.

Hmmm... Take a look in your applications folder and see if you've got a Monterey installer (maybe "Install macOS Monterey"). If so, it's around 12 GB of your problem that can be overcome by moving it to your external, deleting it from your internal, and booting into and doing the installation from the clone on your external.

It would be ironic if the installer, itself, is preventing you from installing.

artie505 #63373 02/09/23 02:46 AM
OP Offline

That would be ironic. I have enough room on my external, I just didn't want to do it that way. I may have to. But if that doesn't fix my calendar alert problem, I'll just go back to my internal drive.

It would be ironic if the installer, itself, is preventing you from installing. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63374 02/09/23 03:36 AM

That would be ironic. I have enough room on my external, I just didn't want to do it that way. I may have to. But if that doesn't fix my calendar alert problem, I'll just go back to my internal drive.

You misunderstood me.

I wasn't suggesting that you upgrade your external clone to Monterey, rather I was suggesting that you boot from your clone, install "Install macOS Monterey," and use it to upgrade your internal SSD. (Be sure to delete "Install macOS Monterey" from your internal if it's there and to update your clone before you upgrade your internal.)

artie505 #63375 02/09/23 03:43 AM
OP Offline

Oh!!! I'm not sure how to do that but I could try. I just opened my SSD icon and some stuff is grayed out and other stuff isn't. Anyway, I pulled up the desk top and found the Monterey install icon, but it said the same thing when I clicked on it. No room.

You misunderstood me.

I wasn't suggesting that you upgrade your external clone to Monterey, rather I was suggesting that you boot from your clone, install "Install macOS Monterey," and use it to upgrade your internal SSD. (Be sure to delete "Install macOS Monterey" from your internal if it's there and to update your clone before you upgrade your internal.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63376 02/09/23 11:27 AM

Oh!!! I'm not sure how to do that but I could try. I just opened my SSD icon and some stuff is grayed out and other stuff isn't. Anyway, I pulled up the desk top and found the Monterey install icon, but it said the same thing when I clicked on it. No room.
Before we go any further...
1. I assume that "no room" pop-up was after you deleted whatever you could?
2. I'd like to see a pic of Disk Utility after you did your pruning. (Container disk1)
3. I'd like to see a pic of your open SSD icon with "some stuff greyed out...some not."

artie505 #63377 02/09/23 05:58 PM
OP Offline

1. I assume that "no room" pop-up was after you deleted whatever you could?

Nope. I'm not done pruning.

2. I'd like to see a pic of Disk Utility after you did your pruning. (Container disk1)

[b]If I remember. It will be awhile.[/b]

3. I'd like to see a pic of your open SSD icon with "some stuff greyed out...some not." [/quote]
It wasn't the original SSD. It was the clone that showed some of the my home page grayed out. Clone Home Page Also, Catalina thumb drive clone

Wow, I've ever had so much trouble putting colors or boldness to letters here. I tried 3 times again.

Also, my Mac went out twice while typing this. I am going to check Costco to see if they have what I want in stock. 14" M2, low end. If so, I will drive there and get it. It's $50.00 cheaper than Apple.com and also gives a 2 free parts & labor and tech warranty. I can always call Apple tech anyway and come here for help. I have gotten Apple care with every Mac purchased and never needed it except for Tech support which I know now I can get anyway.

Last edited by dkmarsh; 02/10/23 06:58 PM. Reason: fixed link

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63385 02/10/23 09:24 AM

It wasn't the original SSD. It was the clone that showed some of the my home page grayed out. Clone Home Page Also, ]Catalina thumb drive clone[url=https://imgur.com/KikWJi9]
The file names of all those greyed out items are preceded by a "." (dot), which means that they're normally invisible but have somehow been made visible. Nothing to worry about.

...my Mac went out twice while typing this.
That changes things. I'll address it in your Migration Assistant thread.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard