for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Apple Techs on Phone
#63310 02/05/23 09:47 PM
OP Offline

You guys were saying awhile back that I can call Apple for technical advice indefinitely, right? Remember, I thought I had to have Apple Care to do so? On the Apple Website they make a point of saying there is free tech available for 3 months. So why do they say that when it's practically forever?

AppleCare+ for Mac
Every Mac comes with a one-year limited warranty
and up to 90 days of complimentary technical support AppleCare+ for Mac extends your coverage from your AppleCare+ purchase date and adds unlimited incidents of accidental damage protection, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other accidental damage, plus applicable tax. In addition, you’ll get 24/7 priority access to Apple experts via chat or phone. For complete details, see the terms(opens in a new window).

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Apple Techs on Phone
plantsower #63311 02/05/23 10:12 PM

AppleCare+ covers your physical machine...your hardware.

Operating system - software - problems are covered indefinitely.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #63312 02/05/23 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
You guys were saying awhile back that I can call Apple for technical advice indefinitely, right? Remember, I thought I had to have Apple Care to do so? On the Apple Website they make a point of saying there is free tech available for 3 months. So why do they say that when it's practically forever?

All I can tell you is, the only time Apple has ever questioned my support status, online on the discussion boards, chatting online, on the phone, or in person at the Genius Bar has been when the solution to the problem required hardware replacement or repair. Since I assume this involves your battery situation, you can find more information on Apple battery service here as well as free replacement cost estimates.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63313 02/05/23 10:23 PM
OP Offline

No, it doesn't apply to my battery situation. I had another question to ask them and was hesitant to call because of the quote I showed you above. It mentions tech support, not hardware support.

Since I assume this involves your battery situation, you can find more information on Apple battery service here as well as free replacement cost estimates. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #63314 02/05/23 10:24 PM
OP Offline

But it says tech support not hardware support. To me tech support means questions I have about how to do something on my Mac, not hardware problems.

Originally Posted by artie505

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63315 02/05/23 10:39 PM

But it says tech support not hardware support. To me tech support means questions I have about how to do something on my Mac, not hardware problems.

All support as respects a computer is "tech support."

The problem here is that Apple is remiss in using "technical" to cover two entirely different support categories without clarification.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63316 02/05/23 10:42 PM
OP Offline

OK, so I won't worry about it. Thanks.

The problem here is that Apple is remiss in using "technical" to cover two entirely different support categories without clarification.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63317 02/05/23 11:54 PM

If you're still even the least bit concerned, just explain your problem and ask if the support will cost you as soon as the tech gets on the phone.

artie505 #63318 02/06/23 12:09 AM
OP Offline

Used to do that but I don't remember what they said. Obviously I wasn't charged though. I decided not to do it this time even though the recording mentioned something about charges which concerned me a bit. I don't think I'm going to be charged. They weren't any help anyway. frown

If you're still even the least bit concerned, just explain your problem and ask if the support will cost you as soon as the tech gets on the phone.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63319 02/06/23 12:12 AM

I don't think I'm going to be charged.
The tech would have said something...asked you for a card number...

I'm sure you won't be charged.

artie505 #63320 02/06/23 12:14 AM
OP Offline

Right. I was only a little worried. smile I'm gonna post about my problem in another thread. It's about my calendar.

I don't think I'm going to be charged.
The tech would have said something...asked you for a card number...

I'm sure you won't be charged.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #63326 02/06/23 05:26 PM

Another way of looking is Apple sells only hardware and services, THEY DO NOT SELL SOFTWARE, so how could they charge you for supporting something they gave you?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63327 02/06/23 05:48 PM
OP Offline

Well, it's the wording. It's deceiving. I was looking up info about buying a Mac and AppleCare, etc. Lot of people are under the impression they cannot use the phone tech support after a certain time.

Originally Posted by joemikeb

Another way of looking is Apple sells only hardware and services, THEY DO NOT SELL SOFTWARE, so how could they charge you for supporting something they gave you?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63330 02/06/23 06:20 PM

Well, it's the wording. It's deceiving. I was looking up info about buying a Mac and AppleCare, etc. Lot of people are under the impression they cannot use the phone tech support after a certain time.

One thing is certain, the wording has been carefully vetted by Apple's attorneys. In retrospect, I suspect the wording may be an artifact from the days when Apple did charge for their software and upgrades. It would have allowed some legal wiggle room during the transition period. (He said with a shrug of his shoulders.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63332 02/06/23 06:33 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by joemikeb

One thing is certain, the wording has been carefully vetted by Apple's attorneys. In retrospect, I suspect the wording may be an artifact from the days when Apple did charge for their software and upgrades. It would have allowed some legal wiggle room during the transition period. (He said with a shrug of his shoulders.)

Right, or they are counting on people interpreting it the way I did, and that way there are less calls. Also people are under the impression that they have to have AppleCare to extend the 90 day deadline during which they think they can call tech support. Another sales pitch. That's my take because that's what I always thought along with others. So glad I know better now. They really should change their pre-recorded message to take away that charge message. It would be different if they said there could be extra charges even with AppleCare for damaged equipment, but that's not mentioned. I know this sounds negative, but with what companies are doing these days with built in obsolescence and smaller containers of food for the same or more money is disgusting. I have started looking at all this with a jaundiced eye.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard