An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: USB-C Adapter
joemikeb #63139 01/20/23 11:03 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 7
Online

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 7
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower
Consider the source!

And why should you be any less confused than probably ninety percent of the computer using public?
We can thank USB C for compounding the problem.


The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: USB-C Adapter
artie505 #63142 01/21/23 02:26 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
Right. I wish they would leave well enough alone.


Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower
Consider the source!

And why should you be any less confused than probably ninety percent of the computer using public?
We can thank USB C for compounding the problem.


MacBook Pro - (Early 2015) Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 109.0.1
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: USB-C Adapter
plantsower #63150 01/21/23 06:43 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 8
Moderator
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 8
Originally Posted by artie505
We can thank USB C for compounding the problem.

Make that Intel and their marketing department's attempts at making a sow's ear appear to an uninformed public to be a silk purse. (USB is an Intel technology.)

Originally Posted by plantsower
Right. I wish they would leave well enough alone.

They won't and you don't really want them to. Like death and taxes, change is inevitable. The problem is not everyone agrees on what changes are progress.


"Sacred cows make the best hamburger"

- Mark Twain
Re: USB-C Adapter
joemikeb #63153 01/21/23 07:10 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
I just think we should have a choice. Not everyone wants to upgrade and then have to pay for dongles because they decide to remove certain things like ethernet ports, ear phone ports for those that aren't into bluetooth (I am). They could have all the fancy stuff for people who want it and have some basic products for those who like things the way they are. Maybe not the best business model but more ethical and client friendly. Whatever happened to those values?

They won't and you don't really want them to. Like death and taxes, change is inevitable. The problem is not everyone agrees on what changes are progress. [/quote]


MacBook Pro - (Early 2015) Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 109.0.1
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: USB-C Adapter
plantsower #63159 01/21/23 09:01 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 8
Moderator
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 8
Originally Posted by plantsower
I just think we should have a choice. Not everyone wants to upgrade and then have to pay for dongles because they decide to remove certain things like ethernet ports, ear phone ports for those that aren't into bluetooth (I am). They could have all the fancy stuff for people who want it and have some basic products for those who like things the way they are. Maybe not the best business model but more ethical and client friendly. Whatever happened to those values?

Apple does offer a choice, the iPad and iPad Pro. They are lighter, less expensive, have longer battery life, are simpler to use, arguably more secure, and offer features not available on the Mac such as forward and backward facing cameras, Apple Pencil compatibility, and cellular networking.


"Sacred cows make the best hamburger"

- Mark Twain
Re: USB-C Adapter
joemikeb #63161 01/21/23 09:50 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
Maybe I will think about that the next time one of my Macs goes south. I guess I could get used to their smaller size. I remember when I went to a friend's house and she had an iPad. I thought I could easily work it without instructions because I had a Mac. Couldn't be that different, right? But all the swiping caught me off guard, and I couldn't figure it out. Also, I type a lot with my Mac in my lap. I'm not sure that would work with an iPad with a built in digital keypad. Or if I could attach one it wouldn't sit solidly on my lap. So, there's that.

With that being said, I do have a choice to get an iPad, but it doesn't have any of those things that Apple removed from the MacBook, does it? If that's the case, I can't see the point of me getting one. Cheaper is fine, but more inconvenient is not.



Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower
I just think we should have a choice. Not everyone wants to upgrade and then have to pay for dongles because they decide to remove certain things like ethernet ports, ear phone ports for those that aren't into bluetooth (I am). They could have all the fancy stuff for people who want it and have some basic products for those who like things the way they are. Maybe not the best business model but more ethical and client friendly. Whatever happened to those values?

Apple does offer a choice, the iPad and iPad Pro. They are lighter, less expensive, have longer battery life, are simpler to use, arguably more secure, and offer features not available on the Mac such as forward and backward facing cameras, Apple Pencil compatibility, and cellular networking.


MacBook Pro - (Early 2015) Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 109.0.1
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: USB-C Adapter
plantsower #63167 01/22/23 11:10 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 8
Moderator
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 8
I have no idea what any all
Originally Posted by plantsower
of those things that Apple removed from the MacBook.
are, but the iPad doesn't have an optical disk drive, hard drive, touchbar, or Thunderbolt port, It does have a USB Type C connector for power and external USB device connectivity, but there is only one. Data entry is via your choice of a mechanical keyboard with a MacBook-like trackpad, voice dictation, handwriting recognition and drawing using an Apple Pencil. Control can be your choice of fingertip gestures, Apple Pencil gestures, or trackpad gestures, and connectivity via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB, or cellular connections. It also has an excellent camera (albeit not up to the resolution available on the iPhone 14 Pro). Personally, I don't know which is more frustrating, trying to use finger gestures on my Studio's monitor (I am always having to clean off the fingerprints) or forgetting that I can use the trackpad on the iPad's keyboard, and it always takes a few minutes to re-calibrate my brain to the device. Fortunately, I have a trackpad on my Studio so the gestures are just about the same between the two devices.) When I am relaxing in my chair, I find I often remove the mechanical keyboard, cradel th iPad in my arms (that sounds weird, but it is accurate) and use the Apple Pencil and Script for input. IPadOS's simplicity does require some re-thinking to perform familiar tasks, but there are any number of routine macOS tasks that are superfluous and quickly forgotten.

Obviously I am a fan of the iPad, but it is not for everyone. However, based on your questions and issues over the years, I suspect you would quickly be better served with an iPad.


"Sacred cows make the best hamburger"

- Mark Twain
Re: USB-C Adapter
joemikeb #63168 01/22/23 11:50 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
Thanks Joe for all that information. It certainly gives me food for thought.



Originally Posted by joemikeb
I have no idea what any all
Originally Posted by plantsower
of those things that Apple removed from the MacBook.
are, but the iPad doesn't have an optical disk drive, hard drive, touchbar, or Thunderbolt port, It does have a USB Type C connector for power and external USB device connectivity, but there is only one. Data entry is via your choice of a mechanical keyboard with a MacBook-like trackpad, voice dictation, handwriting recognition and drawing using an Apple Pencil. Control can be your choice of fingertip gestures, Apple Pencil gestures, or trackpad gestures, and connectivity via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB, or cellular connections. It also has an excellent camera (albeit not up to the resolution available on the iPhone 14 Pro). Personally, I don't know which is more frustrating, trying to use finger gestures on my Studio's monitor (I am always having to clean off the fingerprints) or forgetting that I can use the trackpad on the iPad's keyboard, and it always takes a few minutes to re-calibrate my brain to the device. Fortunately, I have a trackpad on my Studio so the gestures are just about the same between the two devices.) When I am relaxing in my chair, I find I often remove the mechanical keyboard, cradel th iPad in my arms (that sounds weird, but it is accurate) and use the Apple Pencil and Script for input. IPadOS's simplicity does require some re-thinking to perform familiar tasks, but there are any number of routine macOS tasks that are superfluous and quickly forgotten.

Obviously I am a fan of the iPad, but it is not for everyone. However, based on your questions and issues over the years, I suspect you would quickly be better served with an iPad.


MacBook Pro - (Early 2015) Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 109.0.1
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4
(Release build 20200307)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.25 Page Time: 0.048s Queries: 32 (0.037s) Memory: 0.6193 MB (Peak: 0.7193 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2023-02-07 08:58:05 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS