FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Removing data from iCloud
#62409 08/27/22 04:28 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.....

We have purchased new iPads and probably will get a new iMac later this year. Before getting the iPads going (and starting with I want to sort out iCloud. The first step in that will be to clear out the existing data so that everything I will want to do can be within the basic iCloud capacity of 5GB. Presently I get messages about "iCloud is full, buy more capacity".

The biggest chunk of data is photo storage. When I indicate I want to stop storing photos on iCloud I get this message:

"Your photos and videos are using 4.4 GB.

If you want to stop using iCloud Photos and recover your iCloud storage, you can disable it on all your devices. You then have 30 days to download your photos and videos."

Why would I need to download from iCloud when I have all the photos on my iMac?

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Removing data from iCloud
ryck #62411 08/27/22 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
Why would I need to download from iCloud when I have all the photos on my iMac?

1. Apple doesn't "know" you have all your photos replicated on your iMac
  2. If you have System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > Optimize storage turned ON, the full resolution images are on iCloud and the images on your iMac have been optimized (reduced in size and resolution) for display on your Mac. That is also true of the images on your iPad and iPhone. The images on both are optimized for display on that paticular device.

Given the size of your photo Library, I strongly urge you to re-think your decision and pay for the extra iCloud capacity. It will save money on the long run and give you full access to your entire photo Library on both your iMac and iPad. NOTE: Any edits applied to the optimized image on any device will be applied to the full resolution image on iCloud and thereafter will appear in the appropriately optimized image on each of your other devices.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62420 08/28/22 01:31 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Given the size of your photo Library, I strongly urge you to re-think your decision and pay for the extra iCloud capacity.
I've done that (50GB) but now have two new issues as I thought, given all that capacity, I should link my iPhone and my iPad to iCloud.

First the iPad. I tried to turn on iCloud Photo Library and got a dialogue box that cautions:

"Photos synced from iTunes will be removed. Syncing photos via iTunes is not supported when iCloud Photo Library is turned on. 203 photos will be removed."

Synched from iTunes? I haven't a clue what that means. I don't even know which the 203 photos would be.

Last edited by ryck; 08/28/22 01:32 AM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #62423 08/28/22 01:55 AM

Given the size of your photo Library, I strongly urge you to re-think your decision and pay for the extra iCloud capacity.
I've done that (50GB) but now have two new issues as I thought, given all that capacity, I should link my iPhone and my iPad to iCloud.

First the iPad. I tried to turn on iCloud Photo Library and got a dialogue box that cautions:

“Photos synced from iTunes will be removed. Syncing photos via iTunes is not supported when iCloud Photo Library is turned on. 203 photos will be removed.”

Synched from iTunes? I haven't a clue what that means. I don't even know which the 203 photos would be.

Plug your iPhone into your Mac, and assuming you are on a recent version of macOS and iOS the iPad will appear in the Finder sidebar under “Locations”. Select the phone and follow the on-screen instructions to sync your iPad. This will result in the 203 photos being added to the Photos library on your Mac and from there on iCloud. Repeat this with your iPhone. Note you may see extra battery drain for a day or two while the images are appropriately optimized for each device. At the end of this process, all of your devices will automatically share the same Photo Library.

As a "belt and suspenders" step, be sure and backup each of the devices once you have them all synchronized. FWIW I backup my iPhone and iPad to iCloud almost every night.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
ryck #62426 08/28/22 11:47 AM

There is unlimited capacity for photos in an Amazon Photos account. I don't know if there are any downsides to using it, but you wouldn't need to keep them on your hard drive. As a backup, you could burn them to CDs and then delete them, after putting them in Amazon, of course. There is a limit for video storage.

joemikeb #62436 08/29/22 02:48 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

FWIW I backup my iPhone and iPad to iCloud almost every night.
I upgraded to 50GB of iCloud storage and the first thing I get is a message that says my iPhone can't be backed becaue I don't have sufficient iCloud storage and should buy more.

I have never liked iCloud as it has never seemed to work correctly and am thinking I need to revamp my approach. Will start a different thread.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Gregg #62437 08/29/22 03:42 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by Gregg
....but you wouldn't need to keep them on your hard drive.
Thanks for the thought. I'm not sure that would be an issue as my iMac drive is a 1TB with more than 650GB still available. That being said, I think I first need to do what I've been doing with boxes and boxes of old prints - toss out the ones that cause me to say "Why would I keep that?"

The problem with digital photography is that it is so prolific. Everyone with an iPhone now fancy themselves as photographers, and are distributing masses of not-very-good stuff. It's too easy to flip it into Photos, thinking "I'll get to those later". It seems later is now.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #62443 08/29/22 09:03 PM

The problem with digital photography is that it is so prolific. Everyone with an iPhone now fancy themselves as photographers, and are distributing masses of not-very-good stuff.
That's actually been the case since the advent of computerized cameras...predating iPhones by many years.

I'm something of a Coney Island "character," so people occasionally ask me to pose for them, and when their response to "What kind of film are you running?" is a confused look I decline.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #62483 09/03/22 08:24 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I will be starting a new thread about minimizing reliance on iCloud for storage as I find it’s more of a pain than it’s worth. But first I need some clarification, so, backing up a bit in the thread dialogue…..

[quote=joemikeb]Given the size of your photo Library, I strongly urge you to re-think your decision and pay for the extra iCloud capacity.

“Photos synced from iTunes will be removed. Syncing photos via iTunes is not supported when iCloud Photo Library is turned on. 203 photos will be removed.”
When it says: ”Photos synced from iTunes will be removed”, what exactly does it mean? Removed from where? Does it mean it will remove them from the iPad only, or does it mean they will also be removed from the main Photos library, which resides on my iMac? i.e. I won’t have them anywhere.

As a "belt and suspenders" step, be sure and backup each of the devices once you have them all synchronized. FWIW I backup my iPhone and iPad to iCloud almost every night.
I don’t store anything critical on either device so, if I lost everything on both of them it would not be the end of the world. However, the idea of backing up the iPhone pointed out an issue that I don’t like - getting into a cycle of always buying more space - the iPhone backup failed and I was asked to buy even more iCloud space.

And now, one of the few things I would use iCloud for, has failed. All of the mail that was on the iPhone is now gone.

Last edited by ryck; 09/03/22 08:28 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard