for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Migrate from Mojave to ?
#62376 08/23/22 07:19 PM
OP Offline

Hi. I've been running the latest version of Mojave happily for a couple years now, but I notice that security updates and the latest Safari are not available for 10.14 so it might be time for an upgrade.

Software Update wants to take me to Monterey, but it's fairly recent, I think. Would I be better off/safer to upgrade to Big Sur? Only one app that I rely upon requires Mojave, so I'll have to launch my Mac Pro to use that, but I'm pretty sure all my other apps will run in Big Sur or Monterey.

Should I stick to the tried and tested (Big Sur) or go straight to Monterey?

Thanks.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
Re: Migrate from Mojave to ?
freelance #62377 08/23/22 07:45 PM

I had a problem with Music.app in Big Sur that forced me to revert to Catalina, but I've been happily running Monterey since shortly after it was released.

With Ventura due out in just a couple of months, Monterey is old hat already...tried and true on its own at this point, so I say "go for it."

Bear in mind that since Apple has been releasing public betas, new macOS versions are, to a large degree, tried and true at their release date.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
1 member likes this: joemikeb
artie505 #62380 08/23/22 10:15 PM
OP Offline

Thanks. I guess I'll just let Software Update take me there. Sounds like a plan for tomorrow.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #62383 08/24/22 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by freelance
Thanks. I guess I'll just let Software Update take me there. Sounds like a plan for tomorrow.

I hope that part of the plan is to make sure everything you want to preserve is backed up. I learned the hard way that an OS upgrade, skipping several iterations, can cause an old Mac to give up the ghost, and I lost a few things that were not in the previous backup. Lesson learned: backup immediately before upgrading the OS!

Gregg #62385 08/24/22 02:45 PM
OP Offline

I've not had much luck today...

I repurposed an old SSD, installed a APFS partition, downloaded Monterey and tried to install on the external drive. No good. Cloned my start up drive to the SSD, booted from the SSD and ran the Monterey installer again. I kept getting kernel panic and an endless cycle of rebooting.

Now I'm downloading Big Sur to see if I have any luck with that.

The only thing I could do that I am not doing is to install from Software Update directly to my start up drive and I'm not willing to do that.

Any advice? Thanks.

freelance #62389 08/24/22 06:28 PM
OP Offline

Well, downloading and installing Big Sur went well. I guess as Gregg suggested, I was trying to make too many leaps at once.

I spent hours getting everything to work (I will miss Quicktime 7 and DVD2oneX) then wondered if the migration to Monterey might be possible now. Hmmm...

So, I'm currently installing from a previously downloaded Monterey installer, only 20 minutes to go...

My question is: assuming it goes well, what is my next step? Do I simply copy the newly upgraded OS to my startup drive, or do I repeat the entire sequence on the original startup drive?

Thanks,
Jerry

freelance #62390 08/24/22 07:02 PM
OP Offline

Well, the migration from Big Sur to Monterey failed. I've had a Buffalo Trace (or two - I know it's early where you are) so I'm probably finished for the night, but I'm tempted just to go for the Big Sur update on the main startup drive. I know that works.

I don't know if the Monterey update is failing because I'm upgrading an external drive, or it's failing because of other reasons...

I want to know: can I completely recover from a messed up startup drive from a clone of my OS from a bootable external drive? Does it have to be APFS or just Mac journaled?

Thanks,
Jerry

freelance #62392 08/24/22 10:21 PM

1. There are multiple hidden partitions and volumes in Catalina, Monterey, and Ventura that are required to boot the system. One of these partitions must be on the internal drive because, among other things, it is necessary for the system to "see" the external volumes. Even Mike Bombich, the developer of Carbon Copy Cloner, no longer recommends external boot volumes. The Data volume on a clone, can be used as an alternative to Time Machine backup to recover that part of a system.
  2. Catalina, Monterey, and Ventura can ONLY be installed on a drive formatted APFS.
  3. An alternative to the Recovery Drive Install is to create a bootable thumb drive installer especially if your internet connection is slow. (It is the same as the Recovery Drive installer, but does not require an Internet connection for the actual installation.)
  4. Be aware that some Microsoft and Adobe products may require being uninstalled on your old system a reinstalled on the upgraded system.
  5. 32 bit applications will not run in Monterey

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
freelance #62393 08/24/22 10:50 PM

Maybe try this: Create a new volume - NOT container - on your internal drive and try to install Monterey on it.

If you're successful, you can then use migration assistant to migrate data from your Mojave installation.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62398 08/25/22 05:07 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, all. I backed up to within an inch of my life and bit the bullet: ran the Monterey installer on my main iMac hard drive. Install went smoothly and I am now sorting through the teething problems. Had to update CCC and Little Snitch right away.

Now I'm trying to get to grips with the loss of iTunes. Two apps where I used to use one. Getting Apple TV to play my video clips is proving to be a slog. I suppose I'll have to read some instructions, dammit. Anyway, seems pretty snappy. Loads of new noises and notifications to get used to.

I used to use Quicktime 7 for video editing. I'm trying to work out if the new Quicktime is as useful? Again, instruction manual...

Cheers for now,
Jerry

freelance #62401 08/25/22 09:06 PM

Now I'm trying to get to grips with the loss of iTunes.

I used to use Quicktime 7 for video editing. I'm trying to work out if the new Quicktime is as useful? Again, instruction manual...

iTunes is not lost, it has just taken on a new name, “Music” and its iPhone synch functions moved to Finder where they belonged in the first place. For video editing, try iMovie.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62429 08/28/22 05:32 PM
OP Offline

I am managing to get to grips with Monterey.

I reset my library in Music (iTunes), but lost all my Playlists and can't seem to find even the ones that came as standard. Also forgot to uncheck the "add to drive" box and filled up my 256Gb SSD before I realised. That's sorted now.

And I've figured out TV.app, I think. I don't know why there are two apps called TV, but the logo helps keep them separated. Also, I watched a few YouTube videos to find out how to use Quicktime to do the same edits as I used to do in Quicktime 7, so I'm getting more and more settled.

Still have to find a substitute for DVD2one. I could just boot up Mojave from an external drive (holding the alt key makes it easy to switch between the two OS's) but...

First learning curve I've been on for four years.

freelance #62439 08/29/22 04:56 PM

Still have to find a substitute for DVD2one. I could just boot up Mojave from an external drive (holding the alt key makes it easy to switch between the two OS's) but...

First learning curve I've been on for four years.

I briefly looked at the old DVD2one website to see what it does. I don't know which features from it you use, but check out Handbrake. It's free (but still very good quality software). It might be able to do what you need.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #62446 08/29/22 11:11 PM
OP Offline

I used DVD2one to archive films, two to a disc. It would compress the video, if necessary. Frankly, since I started using Plex and streaming, I am less reliant on DVDs. I use Handbrake all the time.

Also, thank you artie505 and joemikeb for the tip on using the legacy clone tool in Carbon Copy Cloner. I've managed to make a clone of Monterey to a USB drive that Startup Disk can see, though I haven't actually tried it out yet.

freelance #62488 09/03/22 01:24 PM
OP Offline

Update: Attempting to boot from a Carbon Copy clone has failed. Using the "legacy" tool, Startup Disk sees a drive to select, but I get an endless cycle of kernel panics. So, I've resorted to using the "standard" clone and will hope that I never need it.

I am keeping my Mojave drive up-to-date and have already used it to run DVD2oneX2 to burn a DVD.

Other than the learning curve, I am liking Monterey a lot – very quick. However, Affinity Publisher hangs every time the first time I go to print and try to select a destination to send a PDF. Works okay on a relaunch of the app. Hmmmm....

freelance #62495 09/04/22 10:10 AM

Update: Attempting to boot from a Carbon Copy clone has failed. Using the "legacy" tool, Startup Disk sees a drive to select, but I get an endless cycle of kernel panics. So, I've resorted to using the "standard" clone and will hope that I never need it.
That got me wondering, so I tried to boot into each of my 3 CCC clones - 2 on my internal drive and 1 on my external - and found that my external clone - although like yours, it shows in Startup Disk - has become unbootable. It hangs and eventually just reverts to my startup disk. (I know it was bootable up to some point in Monterey, but I've got no recollection of the last version I booted into.)

Phooey! Reality has finally caught up to me. frown

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard