FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How do I restore Calendar data?
#59660 10/18/21 10:54 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

My Calendar data has disappeared, with the exception of dates tied to birthdays. I tried using iCloud but it simply restored the same empty Calendars. Also, I could not go back more than a couple of days so, if the disappearance happened within the last couple of days, iCloud was useless.

How can I do it using either Time Machine or Carbon Copy Clone? I found a couple of guides on the web but they went back to 2014 and OS10.

Thanks

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: How do I restore Calendar data?
ryck #59661 10/18/21 11:17 PM

You could try restoring from Time Machine by restoring ~/Library/Calendars if you go back to a time before the data disappeared.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #59662 10/19/21 12:50 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by jchuzi
You could try restoring from Time Machine by restoring ~/Library/Calendars....
It's not working. I pressCommand-Shift-Period to show invisibles. Go to Users and select my name. Navigate to the Calendars folder and then open Time Machine. However, when I start to select a date & time, Time Machine moves from the Calendars folder to a list of its contents....which is a pile more folders and other stuff.

Any idea how I instruct TM to replace the entire folder called Calendars?

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #59663 10/19/21 11:32 AM

Can you select the Calendars folder in the TM window just by clicking it? Or, can you select all the individual files by clicking the top one and then Shift-clicking the bottom one?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #59664 10/19/21 02:04 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Can you select the Calendars folder in the TM window just by clicking it?
Yes. But as soon as I try to choose a recovery date, that window disappears and is replaced by one that shows the folder contents

Or, can you select all the individual files by clicking the top one and then Shift-clicking the bottom one?
Yes...and it appears we may be getting closer, although there is a change when I try to select a recovery date. Many folders (with lengthy numerical names) ending in .calendar are no longer highlighted.

What remains highlighted are:

Some folders whose name ends in .calendar
Many folders whose name ends in .group
Folders with backup of migrated Calendar attachments
Folders named Calendar Cache ending in -shm
Folders named Calendar Cache ending in -wal
Folders named Calendar Cache ending in ~
Folders with these names:
• Calendar sync changes
• Calendar sync Client ID conflicts.tmp
• Calendars and remakes(with dates and times).icbu
• Incoming
• Pending events

I am assuming that restoring these highlighted folders may be what is needed but, before I press go......best to check.

Last edited by ryck; 10/19/21 02:04 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #59666 10/19/21 02:40 PM

I don't feel competent to go further in advising you, so let's wait for someone who is more knowledgeable to respond.

Jon

jchuzi #59667 10/19/21 04:20 PM

1. Press ⇧⌘G and enter ~/Library/Calendars (be sure to include the tilde (~) character.)
  2. On the Menu Bar select the Time Machine icon and from the drop down menu select Enter Time Machine and a Time Machine frame will appear around the ~/Library/Calendars window.
  3. Using the Time scale on the right side of the Time Machine frame scroll back in time to a point where the calendars were known good
  4. Select any file or folder in the ~/Library/Calendars window and press ⌘A to choose all of the files and folders in the window
  5. Click on the Restore Tab
  6. Choose the option to Replace the existing files

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59668 10/19/21 05:36 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Whew!! Lifesaver....that did it. Along with a big thank-you, I'd add a couple of points.

• when you click on Restore, TM requests a Restore/Replace instruction for each folder
• the restoration didn't get done until I did a restart, at which point it was only a couple of minutes
• if you have to re-enter events that occur after the TM Restore date, it helps to have a wife who dutifully writes all appointments into her paper calendar in the kitchen

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #59669 10/19/21 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
• if you have to re-enter events that occur after the TM Restore date, it helps to have a wife who dutifully writes all appointments into her paper calendar in the kitchen

…and if yours is like mine, you are expected to be fully cognizant of every change in her paper calendar whether or not they ever make it onto the electronic calendar you share. 😵‍💫

Glad Time Machine was able to help. I have found that once you have use it a time or two, it is pretty intuitive.

— Albert Einstein
ryck #59672 10/20/21 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
Whew!! Lifesaver....that did it. Along with a big thank-you, I'd add a couple of points.

• when you click on Restore, TM requests a Restore/Replace instruction for each folder
• the restoration didn't get done until I did a restart, at which point it was only a couple of minutes
I just re-read this and realized adding an extra step would have prevented the necessity of a restart.
Originally Posted by Improved Process
  1. Quit Calendar and any other app that uses Calendar
  2. Press ⇧⌘G and enter ~/Library/Calendars (be sure to include the tilde (~) character.)
  3. On the Menu Bar select the Time Machine icon and from the drop down menu select Enter Time Machine and a Time Machine frame will appear around the ~/Library/Calendars window.
  4. Using the Time scale on the right side of the Time Machine frame scroll back in time to a point where the calendars were known good
  5. Select any file or folder in the ~/Library/Calendars window and press ⌘A to choose all of the files and folders in the window
  6. Click on the Restore Tab
  7. Choose the option to Replace the existing files
The update could not be completed because the files were open and in use.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard