Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
WWDC 2021 Comments/Observations
#58837 06/07/21 08:53 PM
OP Offline

iOS 15
  • Lots of cool new apps and features with long term significance
  • nothing to make me want to run out and buy a new iPhone.

IPadOS 15
  • I cannot deny I have long predicted a merger of iOS/iPadOS and macOS or putting macOS on the iPad Pro, but after watching today's keynote I realized why Apple has been so adamantly opposed to that. (My crystal ball was cloudy and theirs crystal clear)
  • While I know that Spotlight is anathema to some FTM followers, it undergirds a lot of useful smart features in the OS and multiple Apple and third party apps, such as Smart folders, Smart playlists, etc. and would appear to be essential to a lot of the new features and apps in iOS/IpadOS 15 and Monterey. Potentially it could be used to enable a cross app search capability or even a default app functionality that currently does not exist other than in macOS.
  • App Library as implemented in iOS is long overdue on iPadOS as are the Widget enhancements and Shortcuts.
  • The enhancements to the multi-tasking features or iPadOS appears to be more appropriate to the iPad's form factor and "touch-centric" control than that used in macOS. I never thought I would say this, but all things considered this new iteration of iPadOS may well be superior to macOS in the IPad context.
  • Equally important, the idea of being able to simply place my iPad next to my Mac and have the ability for control and data to automatically flow and moved between them is already available in SideCar but what was shown during the WWDC seems a significant improvement I look forward to trying out.
  • iPadOS 14 feels like an afterthought to adapt to the different form factor, iPadOS 15 feels more like one of the family

Monterey
  • I will upgrade when it is available, but I didn't see or hear anything to grab my attention

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/07/21 08:53 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: WWDC 2021 Comments/Observations
joemikeb #58841 06/08/21 11:54 AM

The translation app looks like it would be useful. The bad news is that my late 2014 iMac will not support Monterey. mad I'm a bit miffed at Apple's planned obsolescence, but I'll have to consider waiting for a 27" (or similar size) M1 iMac instead of upgrading to an Intel iMac. In any event, I won't do anything until well after Monterey has gone through a few updates.

Last edited by jchuzi; 06/08/21 01:48 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: WWDC 2021 Comments/Observations
jchuzi #58844 06/08/21 03:19 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by jchuzi
I won't do anything until well after Monterey has gone through a few updates.
On the other hand I hope to celebrate the fourth of July by installing macOS 12, iOS 15, IPadOS 15, WatchOS 8, TVOS 8, and macOS 12. 🧨 There all sorts of really cool and potentially very powerful features like the aforementioned Translation and the enhancements to Notes I want to try out and most of them are multi-platform. One observation, I have is the amount of voice recognition, translation, AI, etc. that is migrating from online to on-device execution will be a significant incentive to upgrade to newer faster devices — thus has it ever been.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard