BACKGROUND

Type C connectors are touted as the one connector to rule them all[/]*¹ for all devices external. But as I look around my desktop I see USB Type A, mini Type A, micro Type A, Lightning, Thunderbolt 2, and HDMI connectors in addition to Type C connectors carrying an amazing variety of data transmission protocols including Thunderbolt 2, 3, and 4; USB 3.0, 3.1, and 3.1 gen 2; and carrying anywhere between 5 and 100 amps of power to various devices. To cobble all of this together I have a drawer full of an amazing variety of connection adapters and adapter cables, particularly type A Mail to type c female and type C female to Lightning.

OBSERVATIONS

In the process of getting everything on my M1 Mac mini up and running to my satisfaction, I have been doing a LOT of re-configuring device connections, re-connecting devices, and performance testing. Along the way, I have noted several major differences in device throughput and even functionality which set me to digging even deeper into connections (type A, B, C); data transfer protocols USB 3.0, 3.1, 3.1 gen 2, full speed, high speed, Thunderbolt, [i]etc
., and adapters. In the process I discovered I had unwittingly wasted a lot of money on adapters that were not designed to do the job they appeared to be created for.
  • Certified Thunderbolt 4 cables can be used for any Thunderbolt 2, 3, or 4 device with the proper connector adapter
  • Certified Thunderbolt 4 cables can be used with any USB 2 through 4 device with the proper connection adapters
  • Certified Thunderbolt 3 cables are not the same as Thunderbolt 4 cables
  • Most type A male to type C female adapters are limited to USB 3.0 protocol (≤ 5Gbps) and 5 Amps power
  • Many type A male to type C Female adaptors are not fully compatible with the USB 3.0 protocol and may not support certain devices
  • Many type C to lightning adapters are power only and do not support data transfer.

THE TAKEAWAY

Don't assume that just because a device or cable has a Type C connector that it will work anywhere with the proper connector adapter (the exception to that might be a certified Thunderbolt 4 cable)
Read the details of any cable or adapter very carefully before you buy and if in doubt buy another brand. caveat emptor!
Amazon's product listings have recently improved greatly in this. 👍

FOOTNOTE
*¹With apologies to J. R. R. Tolkien.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein