FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: M1 Big Sur Status Update
artie505 #58843 06/08/21 02:57 PM
OP Online

I am not sure I am following your logic. confused The Fallback Recovery Drive is a volume group on the internal drive and can be booted directly. Another Mac is required only when the internal drive is somehow totally wiped and given it is on the same fabric as the cpu and memory there is a substantial risk the entire SoC might also be trashed and have to be replaced so a second Mac could not help. The window of events that might require a second Mac for recovery is quite small.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #58847 06/10/21 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by artie505
The inclusion of a Fallback Recovery mode
Originally Posted by
THE ECLECTIC LIGHT COMPANY
When you update macOS on an M1 Mac, the previous recoveryOS is kept in reserve as Fallback Recovery, to provide a safeguard in the event that anything goes wrong installing the new recoveryOS.
is thought provoking...if not downright ominous, particularly because if something goes too wrong you can't recover without a second M1 Mac close at hand.
Sorry for confusing my issue by mentioning the potential need for a second M1.

My real point is that this is APPLE, and "IT JUST WORKS," so the fact that they felt the need to build a recovery mechanism into macOS in case it DOESN'T just work, is, as I said, thought provoking...if not downright ominous.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #58852 06/10/21 05:45 PM
OP Online

There are still immutable truths that are likely to remain as long as humans are involved:
  1. If anything can go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment.
  2. There aint [sic.] no free lunch

Rather than ominous I see the multi-layer recovery options as a realistic assessment of how Macs often get used with lots of hardware devices, kernel extensions, and software over which Apple has very little to no control. My M1 Mac mini being a classic example. Accidents, incompatibilities, and/or outright screwups are possible. Who would want a Mac with no other recovery options other than a trip to the Genius Desk or purchasing a new Mac? The Fallback Recovery Drive strikes me as a reasonable way to encourage reluctant adopters to upgrade as it offers a quick, straightforward way to fall back to the previous release not to mention making it unnecessary for me to keep bootable clones around in case of a serious issue in a beta. 🤓

Even iOS and iPadOS with their significantly more limited options and control have a Recovery Drive type option, but where no other device is needed to recover a Mac, Recovering an iPhone or iPad requires the use of a Mac and Finder (or iTunes or Music in earlier versions of MacOS).

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard