An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Erased my laptop to sell, now folder with ?
artie505 #58220 03/07/21 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
I can tell you for a fact that having much more control over the process [with a bootable thumb drive] is certainly the way to go. Again, besides the local control, it is much, much faster than doing it over the internet, via Recovery. (Emphasis added)
You're of course correct that having the installer in hand makes the installation process considerably faster than waiting for it to d/l via Recovery, but please explain precisely what "much more control over the [installation] process" having the installer in advance gives you over d/l'ing it on demand?

OK, maybe some explanation/assistance here. If one decides to do the installation via Recovery, does that process first download the full installer to one's Mac? Or is that installation process running "through" the internet? If the former, then if one quits that Recovery, is that full installation file in the Applications folder? If the latter, then that process would definitely be slower than downloading the full installer file, then launching it when one wants to, and proceed with the installation. Doing it that way is not automated, of course, but it gives one more control over the installation process. And of course, after downloading the full installer file and copying it to another location, one has that file, and if a re-installation is needed, makes it easier.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 03/07/21 06:31 PM.
MartyByrde #58224 03/07/21 11:37 PM

OK, maybe some explanation/assistance here. If one decides to do the installation via Recovery, does that process first download the full installer to one's Mac? Or is that installation process running "through" the internet? If the former, then if one quits that Recovery, is that full installation file in the Applications folder? If the latter, then that process would definitely be slower than downloading the full installer file, then launching it when one wants to, and proceed with the installation. Doing it that way is not automated, of course, but it gives one more control over the installation process. And of course, after downloading the full installer file and copying it to another location, one has that file, and if a re-installation is needed, makes it easier.
Yes the process first downloads the full installer. If you quite the installation the installer file is NOT in the Applications Folder.

The Recovery Assistant downloads the full installer to a "virtual volume" and runs it from there. If you unplug the computer or otherwise interrupt the installation in progress, the installer is not available to be captured and essentially evaporates. Depending on where in the process the interruption occurs there is a finite possibility the only remaining bootable volume would be the Recovery Drive where you can reinitiate the installation and start over with another download. If you want a copy of the installer you need to go to the App Store and download it from there. It will be a full installer.

The reasoning behind my thumb drive installers stems from making multiple installs while performing various tests and the download takes approximately 9½ minutes of the total Recovery Assistant reinstall time of around 22 minutes. Thumb Drives are also a convenient way to keep previous macOS installers (just in case).

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney
joemikeb #58229 03/08/21 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Yes the process first downloads the full installer. If you quite the installation the installer file is NOT in the Applications Folder.

The Recovery Assistant downloads the full installer to a "virtual volume" and runs it from there. If you unplug the computer or otherwise interrupt the installation in progress, the installer is not available to be captured and essentially evaporates. Depending on where in the process the interruption occurs there is a finite possibility the only remaining bootable volume would be the Recovery Drive where you can reinitiate the installation and start over with another download. If you want a copy of the installer you need to go to the App Store and download it from there. It will be a full installer.

The reasoning behind my thumb drive installers stems from making multiple installs while performing various tests and the download takes approximately 9½ minutes of the total Recovery Assistant reinstall time of around 22 minutes. Thumb Drives are also a convenient way to keep previous macOS installers (just in case).

OK, thanks.

So, it seems that as long as one does not do anything, the installer runs automatically from that "virtual volume", and thus is not dependent on the internet, correct?

Still, though, I'd rather download the full installer myself and make a copy of it in another location on my Mac. As it is, I typically do not do the installation right away, and thus can do it when I want, ie, more control. In fact, if say OS 11.3 is released tomorrow, I would download the full installer, and make a copy of it. Then, assuming V11.3 is fine (will depend on Tech Tool Pro), on Saturday, when I run my normal maintenance (Onyx and Tech Tool Pro) and backup (SuperDuper!) tasks, that is when I would proceed with "moving" from Catalina to Big Sur (of course, I will first test V11.3 on my test Big Sur partition (now running V11.2.2) on my external 1 TB Samsung T7 SSD). Unfortunately, due to not being able to re-size partitions with APFS, I have some additional tasks to perform (I mentioned them in another post).

So, definitely more work to do with this (hopefully) upcoming move from Catalina to Big Sur.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard