for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Recent Attacks on Asians/Asian-Americans
#58044 02/22/21 10:14 PM
OP Offline

Before I make some remarks about this, need to state some things very clearly.

First of all, even though I am of Italian/German descent, I have just about a direct connection with Asians. I spent almost 3 1/2 years in South Korea (more than 3 working there as a meteorologist as an Air Force Officer). My wife is originally from South Korea, and we have been married for over 48 years. I have also visited Japan and China (and also a number of places in Europe).

Secondly, I am around a lot of Asians, especially up here in the Pacific Northwest.

Third, I also get "sick" of all the abusive incidents that have occurred (and keep occurring) with Black folks. It just makes me sick. One of most ironic historical things I find is that back in the 1960's, Federal legislation was enacted to guarantee and protect the rights of Black Americans. How can that be, when the US is supposed to be a melting pot for all ethnicities? Yet, no American (including myself) is a "pure", authentic American, and Black people born hear of course need to guaranteed the same rights and protections as any American.

OK, now back to this current situation. It seems like everyday, I am reading about the unacceptable abuse of Asians/Asian-Americans, especially older ones. Most of it seems to be happening in New York City and California, but I suspect there is more. (Have not read about any such incidents in other countries, but again, would not be surprised if it is going on elsewhere). It just makes me sick to my stomach, and when it involves a male doing the abuse, I for one would like to see such an individual "hung by their b*lls" (excuse the crudity). This video shows some of what I am talking about:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...4151cec2e86dcc3800c9d93&action=click

(BTW, KOMO-TV is here in the area I live in, and I have watched reports before from Suzanne Phan). The one that really gets to me is this one:

https://news.yahoo.com/man-shoved-elderly-asian-woman-231932573.html

As one can see, that SOB is clearly shown shoving that woman to the ground, yet they let him go! Again, just makes me sick!

OK, for now, am done. I welcome any comments, discussions, etc.

Re: Recent Attacks on Asians/Asian-Americans
MartyByrde #58049 02/23/21 12:09 AM

Well I am of Scotch-English descent, a son of Texas (albeit 180° out of step with the current political majority), a former Air Force communications officer, and married to a Presbyterian minister. In the last several years I have been shocked and saddened by racial incidents I had thought were in the past and unconscionable in the present.

Professionals can posit many reasons for hate, but the reason incidents like the ones you show continue to occur is because they are tolerated and even encouraged by elements in our culture. It would be easy to lay the blame at Donald Trump's feet, but he merely hijacked an existing social trend. Incidents like these will continue as long as that kind of behavior is tolerated by the general public. In either incident if others in the crowd had intervened the incident could likely have been averted and the aggressor would have gotten a clear message his behavior was unacceptable. It wouldn't take vigilante tactics, just one or two stepping between the aggressor and his victim.

I have seen and participated in that scenario where an LGBTQ woman was being verbally assaulted by a loudmouthed provocateur, and intervention worked to defuse what was threatening to become a violent incident. The aggressor's support from some in the crowd quickly melted away once it became clear their actions and words were unacceptable to the majority. It did not change the aggressors belief, but it most definitely moderated his behavior. At least it was the first step toward tolerance.

I have no idea why the attacker in New York was released, or what the terms of his observation were, but I suspect the release was expedient and had as more to do with the prosecutor's and court case load than justice. But that is the practical reality in a city of the size of New York. There again had one or two or more on-lookers intervened the outcome could have been very different and likely no one hurt. It isn't enough to observe and report, we must get involved.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58050 02/23/21 12:58 AM
OP Offline

Well stated, joe. What is so ironic is that when I was in Korea, I was not mis-treated at all. In fact, folks were pleasant to me.

What you say about the "toleration" of such events is also very, very accurate. But it sure pisses me off when it happens. And the release of that a**hole in New York is definitely disappointing, to say the least! I suspect that your characterization of the release being "I suspect the release was expedient and had as more to do with the prosecutor's and court case load than justice" is also right on the money. Yet the evidence was CLEAR!

I was a Weather Officer in the Air Force, and after my wife and I got married and left Korea, I was assigned to Offutt AFB, Nebraska (just south of Omaha). My wife attended a wives function, and when each woman was asked what department their husband worked in, my wife (her English at that time was limited) said "GF", which was correct. But another woman kind of mocked her and repeated "GF". Fortunately, the wife of my boss, a Major, was so good to my wife, and basically told her to ignore that woman. But to say I was shocked and disappointed would be an understatement! My wife of course was disappointed also. I did resign about 10 months later, as I was not going to have my wife endure such crap, especially in the mid US. That is also one of the main reasons why we settled near Seattle, as I was well aware of the large amount Asians out this way, from San Diego, through Los Angels, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle, up to Vancouver, British Columbia.

As for "I have been shocked and saddened by racial incidents I had thought were in the past and unconscionable in the present", not sure why you would expect that. Such unacceptable incidents have been happening all the time, including in other countries. I have certainly been well aware of it, including now.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 02/23/21 01:00 AM.
MartyByrde #58052 02/23/21 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by MartyByrde
Most of it seems to be happening in New York City and California, but I suspect there is more. (Have not read about any such incidents in other countries, but again, would not be surprised if it is going on elsewhere).
It is happening everywhere. Our local TV station has broadcast many items about events, not only in my Canadian province, but across the country. It doesn't matter whether it is a large metropolitan area or a small city like ours, the reports are from all parts of the country. It is growing like the cancer it is.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #58053 02/23/21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
It would be easy to lay the blame at Donald Trump's feet, but he merely hijacked an existing social trend.
Perhaps Trump hijacked an existing trend but, in my opinion, he is the accelerant that has caused the trend the explode....and it was deliberate. His ineptitude is directly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans but he decided to blame their deaths on anyone Chinese, with his constant statements about people dying from the "Kung Flu".

Last edited by ryck; 02/23/21 03:50 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #58055 02/23/21 06:37 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by ryck
Most of it seems to be happening in New York City and California, but I suspect there is more. (Have not read about any such incidents in other countries, but again, would not be surprised if it is going on elsewhere).
It is happening everywhere. Our local TV station has broadcast many items about events, not only in my Canadian province, but across the country. It doesn't matter whether it is a large metropolitan area or a small city like ours, the reports are from all parts of the country. It is growing like the cancer it is.

Yeah, not surprising. So far in the Seattle area, an incident happened the other day involving an Asian-American (woman called him a "chink", but don't know which Asian descent he was), but that's all (at least what has been observed/reported). Ironically many folks are narrow minded and can't tell one Asian ethnicity from another. One example: about 2 or 3 months ago, a Korean-American and her sister were at a restaurant somewhere in California, and a financial adviser with Prudential went up to them and said, "You need to go back to Wuhan". What an a-hole! First off, no excuse for saying that to anyone. Secondly, the women are Korean, not Chinese. Fortunately (and he definitely deserved it) Prudential fired him.

I am certain there are many, many more occurrences like that. I of course just cringe when I read about stuff like that. Fortunately, my wife (and her sister, and all of her friends) have not been subjected to such abuse.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 02/23/21 08:27 PM.
ryck #58056 02/23/21 06:39 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by ryck
It would be easy to lay the blame at Donald Trump's feet, but he merely hijacked an existing social trend.
Perhaps Trump hijacked an existing trend but, in my opinion, he is the accelerant that has caused the trend the explode....and it was deliberate. His ineptitude is directly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans but he decided to blame their deaths on anyone Chinese, with his constant statements about people dying from the "Kung Flu".

That's a very good observation, but even before Trump, there were incidents of such attacks. But this year, just seems to be more prevalent now, no thanks to him. And of course unacceptable incidents happening with Black individuals.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 02/23/21 07:48 PM.
MartyByrde #58059 02/23/21 09:00 PM

As for "I have been shocked and saddened by racial incidents I had thought were in the past and unconscionable in the present", not sure why you would expect that. Such unacceptable incidents have been happening all the time, including in other countries. I have certainly been well aware of it, including now.
Having lived in the South most of my life. Even while in the service I was stationed in places like my home state of Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, even Southern Thailand (😁), in a era of great racial turmoil. But when I checked into a motel while traveling through Alabama and the attractive black woman manager of the motel was sitting at her desk companionably sharing a cup of coffee and conversation with an older white man I knew to be a retired police officer, I said to my wife, "the civil war is finally over". It was a scene that would have been unthinkable even a few years earlier. Yes there were still occasional clashes, but they were primarily cultural not racial. Obviously I was wrong.

If there is a single entity to blame for the resurgence of intolerance I think it would be social media. It is where groups of like-minded individuals can congregate and effectively shut out or shout down any opposing voices and convince themselves they are the great majority because theirs is the only opinion they hear. As a champion of free speech and a dues paying member of the Electronic Frontiers Foundation, I believe that even racists and misogynists have a right to be heard, but their right to free speech does not give them the right to shout FIRE in a crowded theater or openly plot an insurrection. We need to convince them their hateful actions WILL NOT DO.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58062 02/23/21 11:38 PM
OP Offline

Having lived in the South most of my life. Even while in the service I was stationed in places like my home state of Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, even Southern Thailand (😁), in a era of great racial turmoil. But when I checked into a motel while traveling through Alabama and the attractive black woman manager of the motel was sitting at her desk companionably sharing a cup of coffee and conversation with an older white man I knew to be a retired police officer, I said to my wife, "the civil war is finally over". It was a scene that would have been unthinkable even a few years earlier. Yes there were still occasional clashes, but they were primarily cultural not racial. Obviously I was wrong.

If there is a single entity to blame for the resurgence of intolerance I think it would be social media. It is where groups of like-minded individuals can congregate and effectively shut out or shout down any opposing voices and convince themselves they are the great majority because theirs is the only opinion they hear. As a champion of free speech and a dues paying member of the Electronic Frontiers Foundation, I believe that even racists and misogynists have a right to be heard, but their right to free speech does not give them the right to shout FIRE in a crowded theater or openly plot an insurrection. We need to convince them their hateful actions WILL NOT DO.

So, you finally see what is going on! Myself I have seen and read (and been part of (example of my wife)) about such occurrences for so, so long, it seems to be an almost everyday event. And while social media might be one of the contributing factors (at least these days), the most obvious factor is the lack of common sense by so many folks, along with having tunnel vision. That is definitely abundantly clear. In some instances, such narrow minded folks come from an environment that invites such behavior.

I distinctly remember when I was younger as an "initial" illustration of this. I was born in Brooklyn, New York, and lived there my first 6 years. After that, we moved out to Long Island. Most folks there thought that was all there was to the world, and thus would develop a truly narrow view of reality. But I left when I was 21, and it gave me the opportunity to see and experience the true world. It got enhanced even better when I went over to Korea (did 2 tours there, and almost went back for a third). Talk about becoming so, so open minded! It was a definite wake up call, after being "brain washed" while growing up.

I suspect a number of folks have been caught in the same "trap", and need a way to get out. The current situation with attacks on Asians/Asian-Americans (and mainly of Chinese descent) is due to the COVID situation. I'll bet there are enough "pissed off" folks out there who think that ANY individual os Asian descent is responsible for this. That is so far away from the truth, and definitely narrow minded.

MartyByrde #58063 02/24/21 12:39 AM

I suspect a number of folks have been caught in the same "trap", and need a way to get out. The current situation with attacks on Asians/Asian-Americans (and mainly of Chinese descent) is due to the COVID situation. I'll bet there are enough "pissed off" folks out there who think that ANY individual os Asian descent is responsible for this. That is so far away from the truth, and definitely narrow minded.

I understand how you would justifiably be aware of animosity toward persons of Asian descent, but I believe the animosity is toward anyone who is not like "ME" especially if "THEY" are encountered in groups. Admittedly as an anglo I am less aware of prejudice than I would be if I were in the target population, but I hear and see prejudice most often directed at any groups that are easily identifiable by some characteristic such as skin color, language, dress, religion, cultural practices, anything that is different than "US". And the more of "THEM" there are the greater the animosity. A Trump supporter famously asked an Native American Indian "Why don't you go back where you came from?"

If you think about it, the animosity is rather pitiful as it arises out of a fear of losing control or power. A feeling "I am unable to compete without some edge to make me preferable to THEM in the marketplace for a job — or a mate." They would be pitiful if it weren't for their potential for harm.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58064 02/24/21 12:53 AM
OP Offline

I understand how you would justifiably be aware of animosity toward persons of Asian descent, but I believe the animosity is toward anyone who is not like "ME" especially if "THEY" are encountered in groups. Admittedly as an anglo I am less aware of prejudice than I would be if I were in the target population, but I hear and see prejudice most often directed at any groups that are easily identifiable by some characteristic such as skin color, language, dress, religion, cultural practices, anything that is different than "US". And the more of "THEM" there are the greater the animosity. A Trump supporter famously asked an Native American Indian "Why don't you go back where you came from?"

If you think about it, the animosity is rather pitiful as it arises out of a fear of losing control or power. A feeling "I am unable to compete without some edge to make me preferable to THEM in the marketplace for a job — or a mate." They would be pitiful if it weren't for their potential for harm.

I have been, and will always be, well, well aware of such narrow minded behavior towad any ethnicity, nationality, skin color, etc. I thought I made that clear above. Yes, I am of course distinctly aware of the recent attacks on Asians, given 1) my wife is Korean, 2) I am around plenty of Asians, and 3) I am completely open minded. But current situation or not, I have always been aware of such events, and that of course comes from me not living inside a tunnel, figuratively speaking. Your Trump example about the Native American Indian is proof enough.

Again, I state the main point: folks have no common sense, along with being narrow minded. And there are folks who currently live in such an environment, or who grew up in such an environment but have never seen or experienced the real world. To quote what Sidney Poitier said in the movie The Jackal: Go along, and we'll get along. So, so appropriate!

Last edited by MartyByrde; 02/24/21 01:36 AM.
joemikeb #58470 03/30/21 07:13 PM

If you think about it, the animosity is rather pitiful as it arises out of a fear of losing control or power
What is even more pitiful is the fact that attackers are all craven cowards. Once more there is an attack, this time in NYC, and the victim is a 65 year old woman. The common thread in all the attacks seems to be a woman, sometimes young but more often old, or an old man. And the attacks always start with a sucker punch.

We are never going to see one of these slimeballs attack a fit young man coming out of a martial arts school.

Last edited by ryck; 03/30/21 07:15 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #58472 03/31/21 03:12 PM

The cowardly attacks on elderly persons of Asian descent is reprehensible, but the failure of on-lookers to even speak up is equally despicable. Sadly there is a significant number of people in this country willing, even eager, to victimize any sub-group that "isn't our kind." The current wave of legislation seeking to fence the ballot box, punish persons of uncertain gender, and control women's bodies are manifestations of the same kind of thinking. Unless and until we, the people, become intolerant of intolerance AND put our own skin in the game, this kind of thing will continue, even at the highest levels.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard