for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ran First Aid
#56094 09/08/20 01:04 AM
OP Offline

I just ran First Aid on my SSD and my SSD - data. When running it on the data I got errors. I want to know if this is anything to be concerned about.

Running First Aid on “Apple SSD - Data” (disk1s1)

Verifying the startup volume will cause this computer to stop responding.

Verifying file system.
Volume could not be unmounted.
Using live mode.
Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s1
Checking the container superblock.
Checking the EFI jumpstart record.
Checking the space manager.
Checking the space manager free queue trees.
Checking the object map.
Checking volume.
Checking the APFS volume superblock.
The volume Apple SSD - Data was formatted by hfs_convert (1412.141.1) and last modified by apfs_kext (1412.141.1).
Checking the object map.
Checking the snapshot metadata tree.
Checking the snapshot metadata.
Checking the extent ref tree.
Checking the fsroot tree.
error: directory valence check: directory (oid 0x70050): nchildren (1) does not match drec count (0)
Verifying allocated space.
Performing deferred repairs.
error: Unable to perform deferred repairs without full space verification
error: Try running fsck against the entire APFS container instead of a volume
The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be verified completely.
File system check exit code is 0.
Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Ran First Aid
plantsower #56095 09/08/20 01:20 AM

You're supposed to NOT be messing around under the hood! grin

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56097 09/08/20 03:50 AM
OP Offline

I know, I know. But this seemed safe. I still need to know if I need to worry about the errors! 😇 Weird things are happening like I have to turn my wi-fi off and then on again every time I try to use the Mac after I leave it for awhile. And I got this message when I ran Network Diagnostics: DNS failure

I did send the DNS message to my ISP though.

Originally Posted by artie505
You're supposed to NOT be messing around under the hood! grin

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56098 09/08/20 04:18 AM

I don't know the significance of your directory valence check error, but the report says you should run First Aid on the entire container, NOT just the data volume, to repair it

Did you do that, and if so, what did it report?

And did you run it on the data volume again afterwards, and what did it report the second time?

Didn't you go through a DNS thing a while back?

If you want to try Open DNS, the numbers are 208.67.220.220 on one line and 208.67.222.222 on a second line in System Prefs > Network > Advanced > DNS, but maybe you ought to wait until you hear from your ISP first.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #56101 09/08/20 02:46 PM

I am not sure what your valence check error means, but some research indicates repairs have to be made while booted from the Recovery drive.
  1. Print these instructions.
  2. Power your computer down completely.
  3. Start your computer while pressing Command+R until you see the Apple logo.
  4. From the Recovery drive launch Disk Utility.
  5. Select your drive and click First-Aid
  6. Note the results.
  7. If errors are reported as not repaired, run First-Aid again.
  8. quit Disk Utility.
  9. quit Recovery Drive

If the DNS server is not working, you would not be able to use the internet. So whatever the error was, it was momentary. There are any number of open source DNS servers, Open DNS (the one Artie suggested) is among the very best and most reliable.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #56107 09/08/20 06:09 PM
OP Offline

I don't know the significance of your directory valence check error, but the report says you should run First Aid on the entire container, NOT just the data volume, to repair it.

Did you do that, and if so, what did it report?

That's what I did first and there was nothing wrong. So then I did the ssd data and got the errors. I redid the ssd data just now because you mentioned it and got the same exact errors.

And did you run it on the data volume again afterwards, and what did it report the second time? See above.

Didn't you go through a DNS thing a while back? Not sure, probably. I think it had to do with my new router but didn't seem to be a problem.

If you want to try Open DNS, the numbers are 208.67.220.220 on one line and 208.67.222.222 on a second line in System Prefs > Network > Advanced > DNS, but maybe you ought to wait until you hear from your ISP first.

I can try your DNS numbers, but I thought the open DNS numbers were 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4. or is the just Google DNS numbers? And if I put in yours plus the ones that are already there, how does the Mac know which ones to use? Should I delete all those in there and just put in your numbers? I guess I can write down the existing DNS numbers and keep them for the future if yours make a difference. Still haven't heard from my ISP guy. I told him no rush but maybe I shouldn't have said that. frown

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56108 09/08/20 06:16 PM

The "8" numbers are Google's numbers. OpenDNS's numbers are the ones I posted.

I believe macOS uses the top number by default and uses any others in order if it doesn't work, which, I guess, is why they come in pairs.

Are you still getting the error?

I think you ought to follow joemike's suggestion and boot into recovery and run First Aid from there.

joemikeb #56109 09/08/20 06:43 PM
OP Offline

OK, here is what happened.

I went into recovery mode and ran the SSD, the SSD data, and the Mac OS base system which showed up under recovery in D/U. All was well.

I went out of D/U and out of Recovery and booted up into my regular SSD.

I ran the SSD and it was fine again.

I ran the SSD data and got the exact same errors I got the first two times I ran them not in recovery. What does that tell you, if anything?

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I am not sure what your valence check error means, but some research indicates repairs have to be made while booted from the Recovery drive.
  1. Print these instructions.
  2. Power your computer down completely.
  3. Start your computer while pressing Command+R until you see the Apple logo.
  4. From the Recovery drive launch Disk Utility.
  5. Select your drive and click First-Aid
  6. Note the results.
  7. If errors are reported as not repaired, run First-Aid again.
  8. quit Disk Utility.
  9. quit Recovery Drive

If the DNS server is not working, you would not be able to use the internet. So whatever the error was, it was momentary. There are any number of open source DNS servers, Open DNS (the one Artie suggested) is among the very best and most reliable.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #56110 09/08/20 06:45 PM
OP Offline

See my response to JoeMike. I did run it under recovery.

The "8" numbers are Google's numbers. OpenDNS's numbers are the ones I posted.

I believe macOS uses the top number by default and uses any others in order if it doesn't work, which, I guess, is why they come in pairs.

Are you still getting the error?

I think you ought to follow joemike's suggestion and boot into recovery and run First Aid from there.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56113 09/08/20 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower

I went into recovery mode and ran the SSD, the SSD data, and the Mac OS base system which showed up under recovery in D/U. All was well.

I ran the SSD data and got the exact same errors I got the first two times I ran them not in recovery. What does that tell you, if anything?

I tells me soemthing that is published in Apple documents and has been true since Mac OS X 10.0 Public Beta is still valid. Running Disk Utility > First Aid against the current boot drive is prone to false error reports. No errors were found when you were booted from the Recovery Drive so your volumes are fine.

NOTE: the same tendency to false error reporting when checking the current boot drive is true of all volume repair utilities.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56114 09/08/20 07:25 PM
OP Offline

You think Steve would have been happy with that? Good to know though. Now when I get an error, I will take it to Recovery. Thanks again for valuable info.

I tells me soemthing that is published in Apple documents and has been true since Mac OS X 10.0 Public Beta is still valid. Running Disk Utility > First Aid against the current boot drive is prone to false error reports. No errors were found when you were booted from the Recovery Drive so your volumes are fine.

NOTE: the same tendency to false error reporting when checking the current boot drive is true of all volume repair utilities.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56116 09/08/20 07:40 PM

You think Steve would have been happy with that? Good to know though. Now when I get an error, I will take it to Recovery. Thanks again for valuable info.
Mac OS X 10.0 was Steve's baby so he was happy with it. The problem running against the boot drive is due to the fact things are constantly changing as the test is being run so it is inevitable that some data may change while it is being tested so instead of comparing A to itself it ends up comparing A to A' or even B thereby creating a false failure. Sometimes the test will be successful but there is an unavoidable finite probability of error. You cannot repair a mounted volume so you will have to boot from the Recovery Drive or another boot drive to make repairs if an error is found so why not do that in the first place and save steps and time?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56120 09/08/20 09:04 PM
OP Offline

Right, had I only known. I doubt the average person knows this. Thanks again.

You cannot repair a mounted volume so you will have to boot from the Recovery Drive or another boot drive to make repairs if an error is found so why not do that in the first place and save steps and time? [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56121 09/08/20 10:21 PM

That is exactly the reason Micromat created the eDrive (a dynamically installable and removable bootable partition) and ProToGo (a minimal repair drive to go on a thumb drive) and Prosoft Engineering created Bootwell (their version of a bootable repair volume on a thumb drive). While Apple's Disk Utility has never been as robust a volume test and repair utility as TechTool Pro or Drive Genius, it has gotten better over the years, and having it on the Repair Drive that is part and parcel of the more recent versions of MacOS makes it my first choice for volume testing and repair.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56122 09/08/20 10:38 PM
OP Offline

.... and having it on the Repair Drive that is part and parcel of the more recent versions of MacOS makes it my first choice for volume testing and repair. [/quote] Is the Repair Drive same as the Recovery Drive?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56123 09/08/20 11:45 PM

Yes, of course, it is the RECOVERY DRIVE. blush Please just put that down to a senior moment. blush

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56124 09/08/20 11:51 PM
OP Offline

Alrighty. I thought maybe I was having one. 😇

Yes, of course, it is the RECOVERY DRIVE. blush Please just put that down to a senior moment. blush

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard