An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#55396 - 07/25/20 06:44 AM First Look At Big Sur
joemikeb Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
OWC's Rocket Yard Blog takes their first look at Big Sur. Now when will the public beta finally be available so I can look too?

I am already running the Big Sur version of Safari, and that is NOT Safari Technology Preview, but the real deal which Apple has released independently of Big Sur for beta testing. Except for an annoying habit of the cursor disappearing when switching between tabs or windows, I like it. There are some significant and I believe useful new features. Nothing dramatic, but certainly evolutionary. In terms of performance, it is, If anything, faster than the Catalina version, but it would take more sensitive instrumentation, and patience, than I have to put an actual performance value on it. In case you are wondering, I can't tell if this version has both Apple SoC and Intel code or not. 🤷‍♂️

#55401 - 07/25/20 07:58 AM Re: First Look At Big Sur [Re: joemikeb]
Ira L Offline

Loc: California
Take a look at ArchiChect to check applications for Apple Silicon on Chip, 64-bit Intel (and Intel-32, PowerPC code 32 or 64).

For a visual comparison of Catalina and Big Sur (the OSes, not the places grin), this is well done.

#55408 - 07/25/20 09:12 AM Re: First Look At Big Sur [Re: Ira L]
joemikeb Offline

Thanks, Ira that is a great site, and the Catalina configuration chart is very informative.

Unfortunately, the Catalina version of ArchiChect only looks for Intel or PPC (Power PC) code and not Apple SoC, but I suspect that will change sooner rather than later.

#55453 - 07/27/20 09:56 AM Re: First Look At Big Sur [Re: joemikeb]
Ira L Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Thanks, Ira that is a great site, and the Catalina configuration chart is very informative.

Unfortunately, the Catalina version of ArchiChect only looks for Intel or PPC (Power PC) code and not Apple SoC, but I suspect that will change sooner rather than later.

I don't read their description the same way as you do. I took it to mean there are currently no Apple SoC apps to check, so ArchiChect won't show anything in that respect, independent of Catalina. But you were wondering if your review version of Safari had SoC capabilities, so check it with ArchiChect and if it does it should show that, no?

#55455 - 07/27/20 01:40 PM Re: First Look At Big Sur [Re: Ira L]
joemikeb Offline

#55456 - 07/27/20 03:10 PM Re: First Look At Big Sur [Re: joemikeb]
MacManiac Online

Loc: Paradise....on the central Ore...
"Format=App bundle with Mach-O thin (x86_64)"

So this doesn't sing to me of SoC just yet......looks like Intel rather than ARM.

#55464 - 07/28/20 09:16 AM Re: First Look At Big Sur [Re: joemikeb]
Ira L Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

Interesting. Your post does not even show the Apple SoC check box option or include the warning "this app has no support for Apple Silicon" as shown in my screenshot of the current Safari in ArchiChect 2.4. So something is different in your Safari developer build, understandably. But where is the denial of Apple SoC? tongue

Moderator:  alternaut, cyn