Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: First Look At Big Sur
MartyByrde #56671 10/28/20 09:23 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by MartyByrde
I just hope Apple gets off their a** and does not disable excellent products like SD or CCC.
I don't think that is even on their radar at the moment.

joemikeb • moderator
joemikeb #56672 10/28/20 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
I just hope Apple gets off their a** and does not disable excellent products like SD or CCC.
I don't think that is even on their radar at the moment.

According to Dave Nanian at Shirt Pocket Software, they have been asking (?pestering?) Apple about this all summer. I suspect Bombich software has done the same.

I don't know if I can download this new beta version, but even if I could, not sure if SD would work with it. Even if Apple corrected the issue that Dave (and possibly Bombich) are struggling with, there is, not yet, a beta version of SD, and thus I could not do any effective testing.

What a mess!

MartyByrde #56673 10/28/20 10:41 PM

Regarding my disdain with the Cloud, I just went through an ordeal with one of my credit cards being compromised. And it all started, of all places, with the Apple Store. Someone today, at a location about 150 miles east of me, ordered some kind of camera, and used one of my credit cards to pay for the item. Well, I called the Apple store, and thankfully nothing has, per se, happened. That is, the item has not been shipped. I also called Capitol One and had my current card canceled, and a new one is on its way. The only ting I did "connected" with the card is that earlier today, I went to Bill Pay at Wells Fargo and generated a payment to that card. Maybe the "thief" captured the card information from there. It's never happened before.

Both the Apple Store and Capitol One are looking into it further.

So, I really don't think the Cloud is that safe. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but don't want to take any chances.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 10/29/20 09:27 PM.
MartyByrde #56688 10/29/20 09:21 PM
OP Online

Having gone through a number of credit card numbers as a result of suspected fraud over the years, I empathize with your caution. That is exactly why I use Apple Pay or PayPal whenever possible for credit card transactions. Either dramatically reduces the exposure of my credit card numbers either in storage and especially during transmission. But realistically there is no way to keep credit card information off of the internet. Even if you never buy anything on the internet the information is in the bank's records and therefore vulnerable. In the end all anyone can do is take reasonable precautions and do business with financial institutions that have aggressive and vigilant fraud protection programs.

A piece of advice learned the hard way: Credit Card losses due to fraud are limited to $50 by federal statute. Debit card losses have no loss limit protection and can potentially exceed the balance of your account, even your net worth. (FTC article 0213) Don't risk using your Debit card on the internet, and don't have debit card on any account that has overdraft protection.

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/29/20 09:25 PM. Reason: overdraft note

joemikeb • moderator
joemikeb #56689 10/29/20 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Having gone through a number of credit card numbers as a result of suspected fraud over the years, I empathize with your caution. That is exactly why I use Apple Pay or PayPal whenever possible for credit card transactions. Either dramatically reduces the exposure of my credit card numbers either in storage and especially during transmission. But realistically there is no way to keep credit card information off of the internet. Even if you never buy anything on the internet the information is in the bank's records and therefore vulnerable. In the end all anyone can do is take reasonable precautions and do business with financial institutions that have aggressive and vigilant fraud protection programs.

A piece of advice learned the hard way: Credit Card losses due to fraud are limited to $50 by federal statute. Debit card losses have no loss limit protection and can potentially exceed the balance of your account, even your net worth. (FTC article 0213) Don't risk using your Debit card on the internet.

Well stated! And I never use either of my debit cards for such transactions. I only use them at the appropriate ATMs. I will say, though, that back in the early 90's, I did have an issue with using my Debit Card at an appropriate ATM. All got resolved in my favor, but it sure was bizarre!

Last edited by MartyByrde; 10/29/20 09:30 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard