for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: FineTunedMac Downtime
grelber #44088 03/21/17 11:35 PM

At 8:32 PM EDT, "Current server time is: 03/21/17 04:32 PM" per my prefs.

Something's wacky, because the only place I can think of where it's 4:32 PM at the moment is Gilligan's Island.

It seems like the new server is in Los Angeles, and something somewhere hasn't compensated for daylight savings time (which I suggested in my OP).

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #44090 03/22/17 12:40 AM

....not sure where your time offset issue came from, as my previous offset of +1 remains correct for both the old server and the new.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #44091 03/22/17 12:51 AM

My recollection is that the old server was in Mountain Time hence my +2 (now +4) in NYC, so shouldn't you, in Pacific Time, have been -1?

And if the server moved to Los Angeles, then you'd be even +1 for the apparent daylight time screw up.

Edit: If everything's working correctly, you're not +1 from anywhere in the US in Pacific Time.

Last edited by artie505; 03/22/17 01:32 AM. Reason: More

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44092 03/22/17 01:36 AM

Maybe my original setting was wrong and through a fortuitous turn of mis-settings, it is now able to correct for the server being on Pacific Standard incorrectly while the rest of the US (save Arizona of course) has sprung forward.....

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #44095 03/22/17 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
Maybe my original setting was wrong and through a fortuitous turn of mis-settings, it is now able to correct for the server being on Pacific Standard incorrectly while the rest of the US (save Arizona of course) has sprung forward.....
I figured either the server was on PST not PDT or located somewhere in Alaska.

Personally I think Arizona is right in eschewing Daylight Savings Time.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44096 03/22/17 03:40 PM

Thanks for clarifying Alaska Time; it appeared to be 2 hours earlier than Pacific Time on the first map I looked at.

grelber #44097 03/22/17 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Originally Posted By: tacit
Yep, the new server is in LA.

Is that LA as in Los Angeles (PDT) or LA as in Louisiana (CDT)?

Either way that's weird, given that my time zone is always CST (which is now equivalent to MDT) and therefore ostensibly only a 1-hour offset (+ or –) from the server. And yet, as noted earlier, I now require a +2-hour offset to make it jibe with local time.

And still no answer to this query and observation. confused

Thanks, all, for repeatedly ignoring my queries (while answering everyone else's). mad Glad to know where I stand.

grelber #44098 03/22/17 04:21 PM

Yep, the new server is in LA.

Is that LA as in Los Angeles (PDT) or LA as in Louisiana (CDT)?

Either way that's weird, given that my time zone is always CST (which is now equivalent to MDT) and therefore ostensibly only a 1-hour offset (+ or –) from the server. And yet, as noted earlier, I now require a +2-hour offset to make it jibe with local time.

And still no answer to this query and observation. confused

Thanks, all, for repeatedly ignoring my queries (while answering everyone else's). mad Glad to know where I stand.

No need to get snippy! tacit's the only one who can answer your questions authoritatively, and he hasn't weighed in yet.

But I think it's cystal clear that his LA meant Los Angeles, not Louisiana, and that the server isn't set to daylight savings time.

grelber #44102 03/23/17 04:17 AM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

The new server is in Los Angeles, not Louisiana. (I realize that was totally unclear of me.)

It seems like what one hand giveth, the other taketh away as far as speed goes. The new server has a much faster database behind it, but the SSL encryption does seem to slow things down. (SSL adds overhead to the Web page requests. Usually it's not a big deal, but since FTM's pages are dynamically generated, they have to be re-encrypted each time, and I think that's why it's slower.)

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #44104 03/23/17 05:40 AM

The new server is in Los Angeles, not Louisiana. (I realize that was totally unclear of me.)

I dunno; Louisiana never even crossed my mind until grelber mentioned it. I mean, when's the last time you heard somebody say "LA" without meaning "Los Angeles"...even in Louisiana? tongue

I assume that your confirmation that the new server's located in LA answers the daylight savings time question, too.

I think FTM is now slightly slower to respond, but it's in my face only under the circumstances I mentioned in post #44071; in general, even as it's a bit slower it seems a bit "snappier" at the same time. crazy

artie505 #44107 03/23/17 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I dunno; Louisiana never even crossed my mind until grelber mentioned it. I mean, when's the last time you heard somebody say "LA" without meaning "Los Angeles"...even in Louisiana? tongue

Say "el-a"; write L.A., something native Californians are taught at an early age. wink

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
artie505 #46402 09/21/17 07:20 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
The persistent screen anomaly has reappeared for the second time since the server move, but the temporary ones are still MIA. (Both reared their ugly heads numerous times every day prior to the move.)

I can't imagine why this would have anything to do with the move, but...

Updating, the temporary anomalies eventually reappeared, but (and I hope I'm not jumping the gun here) I've seen no anomalies, persistent or temporary, during the 24 hours since I upgraded to Safari 11.

This was a strange issue, because I never noticed any anomalies on any other site during the six months I saw them here.

artie505 #46477 09/29/17 06:23 AM

Well, I spoke a bit too soon. frown

I haven't seen this persistent screen anomaly in Safari 11, but these have begun appearing; they're mostly transient, but sometimes they're persistent.

artie505 #46874 11/17/17 05:15 PM

And now for something brand new and completely different.

Wow! That's bizarre.

And I'm still seeing both of the other anomalies.

artie505 #46878 11/17/17 05:38 PM

That's gotta be some sort of incompatibility associated with Safari 11. I've never come across any of those anomalies using Firefox.

By the bye, your 'sleep cycle' must have gone off-kilter. Not used to seeing your contributions outside of late-night.

grelber #46879 11/17/17 05:50 PM

I think I've been seeing those anomalies in Safari since v 10, and I seem to be the only one here seeing them. (It's not important enough to search for others.)

Nor do I ever see anything unusual at ANY website other than FTM. crazy

Yeah, I quit trying to fight my body and now wake up sometime between 10-12 for a coupl'a hours and a bite to eat, and then go back to sleep.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard