for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Firefox Safe Mode"
#9553 04/19/10 06:36 AM
OP Online

Firefox 3.6.3, reverted to 3.5.5...same issue.

Almost every time I launch either version I get this pop-up. (First launch after restarting or [I think] waking from long sleep goes OK, but subsequent launches generate the pop-up.)

I've done no customizing of Firefox other than setting my prefs to my liking.

Has anybody else run into this, and is there a fix?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: "Firefox Safe Mode"
artie505 #9554 04/19/10 09:09 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Are you using a key combo that includes the Option key to launch Firefox?

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #9555 04/19/10 09:32 AM
OP Online

Not any more.

Thanks, cyn. smile

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
cyn #9577 04/20/10 03:31 PM

Are you using a key combo that includes the Option key

I would NOT have considered that. Noted. smile

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
artie505 #9579 04/20/10 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Not any more.

Thanks, cyn. smile

I should link to our previous discussion about this keyboard shortcut business [i may still do so when i get time] --- but (just for the record): i told you so. cool

[must include either ctrl or ⌘ to avoid hassles]

Hal Itosis #9584 04/20/10 06:07 PM

Quote:
I should link to our previous discussion...

Hal gives artie a talking to. laugh

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Hal Itosis #9587 04/20/10 08:24 PM
OP Online

Actually, I should have figured this out on my own either by Googleing or remembering that I ran into a similar issue with both Audio Hijck Pro and Fission. blush

(Just my luck to get backed into using my option key to launch all the wrong apps. [No problem with iPhoto, though, as long as I just give it a quick tap, rather than hold it.])

What the hey... Just another small bump in the road to computing nirvana! grin

dkmarsh #9588 04/20/10 08:30 PM
OP Online

The fascinating part of your linked discussion, though, is that Terminal seems to have a built-in "safety-valve," because in addition to control-C, control-option-C and control-shift-C will kill a process.

Has anybody noticed similar behavior as respects any other key combo?

artie505 #9595 04/20/10 11:19 PM

Quote:
...Terminal seems to have a built-in "safety-valve," because in addition to control-C, control-option-C and control-shift-C will kill a process.

I don't think so. I think that the extraneous keystroke had the effect of suppressing the launching of Calq (since neither Control-Option-C nor Control-Shift-C were the key combo to which you assigned that function); Terminal regarded both Control-Option-C and Control-Shift-C as Control-C with an extraneous keystroke—just as it does for me.

dkmarsh #9631 04/22/10 06:45 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Quote:
...Terminal seems to have a built-in "safety-valve," because in addition to control-C, control-option-C and control-shift-C will kill a process.

I don't think so. I think that the extraneous keystroke had the effect of suppressing the launching of Calq (since neither Control-Option-C nor Control-Shift-C were the key combo to which you assigned that function); Terminal regarded both Control-Option-C and Control-Shift-C as Control-C with an extraneous keystroke—just as it does for me.

Isn't it curious that an extraneous keystroke can put the kibosh on one process but not affect another one?

artie505 #9632 04/22/10 07:40 AM

Isn't it curious that an extraneous keystroke can out the kibosh on one process but not affect another one?

I thought that was odd, too.

In this case, it turns out that control-C is being recognized by the terminal emulation itself, at a level even below readline. The output from:

stty -a

contains, among other things: intr = ^C , binding the ETX character (^C) to an interrupt request.

This is old unix code, configuring how to interpret the raw ASCII codes that are the ONLY input from a teletype-like device. It predates such new-fangled nuances as Command keys. (Control and Option would have been applied by the teletype to modify the ASCII code generated by the keystroke, but Command is just a flag that the terminal emulation layer never sees.)

ganbustein #9634 04/22/10 07:59 AM
OP Online

Thanks for that; I think I actually got it. grin

ganbustein #9655 04/24/10 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: ganbustein
Isn't it curious that an extraneous keystroke can out the kibosh on one process but not affect another one?

I thought that was odd, too.

I've noticed over the years that some key combos are unaffected by the addition of some modifier keys, but there doesn't seem to be any immediately obvious rhyme or reason to it.

For example, hit the Tab key in a TextEdit document. Now hit Option-Tab, or Control-Option-Tab. Same behavior as the plain Tab key, right? But Control-Tab does nothing. crazy

dkmarsh #9658 04/24/10 07:30 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
For example, hit the Tab key in a TextEdit document. Now hit Option-Tab, or Control-Option-Tab. Same behavior as the plain Tab key, right? But Control-Tab does nothing. crazy

That's not the way it works in TextEdit 1.5 on my deuced Mac(hina) running 10.5.8...

When I hit option-tab the first time it inserts a dash (Well, it looks like a dash, but it's shorter, not on my keyboard, and not displayed when I hit "option" with Keyboard Viewer open.) within the space demarcated by the stop.

When I hit it again...same line, it inserts an (multiple) un-dashed stop(s) before the initial stop (whereas hitting tab inserts un-dashed stops after the initial stop).

If I've already inserted a coupl'a un-dashed stops and hit it...same line, it deletes the last stop I've entered and replaces the first one with a dashed stop.

If I've got a dashed stop in a line and I hit "return," the next line replicates the preceding line up to the dash, and hitting return again (multiple times) clears the dash (and preceding stops) and leaves my cursor at the start of the line, after which "return" acts as expected.

Also, if I delete a line with a dashed stop and hit option-tab, the line is recreated up to the dashed stop.

Those are all the combos I've thought to try. confused crazy

artie505 #9663 04/24/10 10:44 AM

Well, clearly TextEdit was an unfortunate example for me to choose. I use it in Plain Text mode, and you're referring to Rich Text mode (as I discovered when I set out to make hide or hair of your reply).

I didn't follow all the convolutions of your report, but that's okay; the TextEdit reference was simply the first example that came to mind of the phenomenon under discussion—the effect, or lack thereof, of extraneous modifier keys on key combo behavior. Turns out that there is an explanation in this case...as, indeed, there likely are in most, if not all, cases (such as the one provided earlier by ganbustein). (Note that I said, " there doesn't seem to be any immediately obvious rhyme or reason to it.")

dkmarsh #9664 04/24/10 11:55 AM
OP Online

Yep...Rich Text mode.

Your point is well-taken, though.

(But what's the little dash all about, and why doesn't Keyboard Viewer show it?)

artie505 #9687 04/26/10 11:06 AM

(But what's the little dash all about, and why doesn't Keyboard Viewer show it?)

If you watch what's happening in the ruler, you'll get a huge clue.

What's happening is that you're invoking outline mode. Option-tab gets you into outline mode; within outline mode, option tab (or plain tab at the beginning of a line) indents the current line, moving it one level more subordinate in the outline. Shift-tab (or return at the beginning of a line) does the reverse, moving the line one level less subordinate. Move out enough times, and you get out of outline mode.

The formatting is controlled by the "Lists" popup menu (or by the Format->List... menu item), which lets you specify independently for each level how list items at that level are formatted. Items at each level can be labelled by consecutive letters (A, B, C, ...) of various types (uppercase, lowercase, greek, arabic) or numbers (1, 2, 3, ...) of various types (decimal, roman, japanese, arabic). Labels can be surrounded (or replaced by) arbitrary punctuation (leading/trailing parentheses, periods, quotes, angle brackets, whatever). The default is to label each line of the outline with a single hyphen.

The reason you can't see the hyphen used for formatting in Keyboard Viewer is that it's just formatting; it's not coming from the keyboard.

ganbustein #9692 04/26/10 10:40 PM
OP Online

Thanks...useful info! cool

Who'da' thunk to look at the ruler? (And even if I had I'd never have thought of outline mode, because I've never either heard of or thought it would be nice to have such a critter.)

As dk said, "there doesn't seem to be any immediately obvious rhyme or reason to it."

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard