FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: iPad
tacit #9581 04/20/10 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
The cynical explanation is that the Israeli government monitors wireless devices of all types very closely, looking for both illicit communications from potential terrorists and for wireless signals that could be used to remote-trigger bombs--and that the lower power output from the iPad makes it more difficult to monitor.

A new wrinkle perhaps...

iPad/iPhone OS 3.2 Stops Renewing DHCP Lease, Keeps Using IP Address

[i haven't read it yet]

Hal Itosis #9598 04/20/10 11:48 PM

Played a little with iPad in BestBuy. It looks nice and has many useful features but the browser is slow and the unit is kind of big. Gizmodo, in its analysis of the lost/stolen iPhone 4G, mentions that the aluminum back of iPad reduces the reception strength. This has been apparently changed in the new iPhone prototype.
http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

Last edited by macnerd10; 04/20/10 11:49 PM.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
macnerd10 #9605 04/21/10 06:38 AM

Well... i must strongly disagree with both of those assessments. This iPad's browsing speed absolutely spanks my PowerBook G4. The feel is more reminiscent of a MacBook Pro (browser-wise). Maybe the store unit you tried had bloated cache & history files, which i usually clear daily (on any machine). Or, maybe the store's network was also simultaneously serving 60 other machines besides yours.

WiFi? Works great here. I think some units may have gotten shortchanged in that department... but the ones that work (made with a different part, or in a different factory?) have as good WiFi performance as any other device.

Maybe i (and most others i believe) just lucked out... and perhaps there are a few lemons out there, idunno.

Not here though. Truly satisfied impressed on both those scores.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/21/10 06:50 AM.
Hal Itosis #9616 04/21/10 05:40 PM

alternaut moderator
mneptok #9640 04/22/10 10:43 PM

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and buy an ipad today. I have a friend that had a brain tumor removed, had a stroke, and can't seem to make his fingers work well enough to work the keys on his iPhone. I thought the iPad would be the answer to allow him to surf the web and view his email while in the hospital. I went into the Apple store, looked/played with one and decided to buy the 16 gb model. They didn't have it, so I was upped to the 64 gb model. I specifically told the salesman that I was running 10.4.11, and that I had upgraded to iTunes 9.0.3 about 6 weeks ago when I got my iPhone 3Gs. He said it should work fine.
The first thing I found when I got it home (I live about 1 hour away from the Apple store) is that it won't even turn on without being connected to iTunes. Right out of the box you have to connect it to iTunes. Not a problem, got out the cable and plugged it into my USB hub. Then I find out iTunes 9.0.3 isn't good enough, I need to upgrade to 9.1. 20 minutes later I hook it up to 9.1 then is says The iPad cannot be used because it requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later.
I can't believe you can't even turn the thing on without hooking it up to a computer...it's supposed to be a stand alone device. Only Apple could get away with selling a device that requires you to upgrade your hardware, and your software in order to use it. I'm still trying to decide whether to return it, or let the Apple store get it up and running for my for my friend to use.

...JER (-: >
...JER #9644 04/23/10 12:42 AM

In BestBuy I was in, all iPads were standalone. Something is definitely wrong...

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
...JER #9645 04/23/10 06:01 AM

Originally Posted By: ...JER
I specifically told the salesman that I was running 10.4.11, and that I had upgraded to iTunes 9.0.3 about 6 weeks ago when I got my iPhone 3Gs. He said it should work fine.

That's a fascinating story... considering this is what it says right on the box:

Mac system requirements
  1. Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
  2. Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later
  3. iTunes 9.1 or later
  4. iTunes Store account
  5. Internet access

The first thing I found when I got it home (I live about 1 hour away from the Apple store) is that it won't even turn on without being connected to iTunes. Right out of the box you have to connect it to iTunes.

<snip>

or let the Apple store get it up and running for my for my friend to use.

Yes, if the required system, etc., is not available... then the Apple Store will set it up for you.

I can't believe you can't even turn the thing on without hooking it up to a computer...it's supposed to be a stand alone device.
Originally Posted By: macnerd10
In BestBuy I was in, all iPads were standalone. Something is definitely wrong...

Once it's been set up, it works as a standalone. But surely you (as an iPhone owner) realize that the iPad is no stereotypical computing device. Any programs you add to it (and the programs are what define its capabilities) will need to [i.e., must] be purchased (or obtained free of charge) from the iTunes Store... which means that getting an account there is almost a necessity as well (unless Safari and Mail are enough to amuse one).

Only Apple could get away with selling a device that requires you to upgrade your hardware, and your software in order to use it.

How old is Tiger... 6+ years? Leopard came out in 2007. Anyway, if your hardware can't run Leopard, then we're talking old (on the scale that computer ages get measured by).

As is typical for iPods and iPhones, an iTunes update is required. [e.g., iTunes 7 didn't know the iPod touch was going to arrive in 2008... so iTunes 8 was required. Similarly, iTunes 9.0.x wasn't fully up to speed for the iPad's arrival either.] I'd be amazed if other newly released mobile devices made by other manufacturers somehow worked their magic without an accompanying software update to the 'base' machine.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/23/10 06:47 AM.
Hal Itosis #9647 04/23/10 12:51 PM

Hal,
Your link to what is on the box is totally inaccurate. on a 1-3/4 x 4-1/8 label on the back of the box printed in 6 pt gray type, it does say 10.5.8 on the second line after the windows OS requirements. and on the 3rd line it does say iTunes 9.1.

My iPhone was functional when I left the ATT store. And Yes, my computer is old...G4 that was originally 466 Mhz upgraded to 1 Ghz, 199? vintage. Suits my needs just fine. Several times a year I need to run some old programs under classic, so I haven't upgraded my system beyond 10.4.11. I no longer feel the need to stay on the bleeding edge of technology like I did in the 80's.

My rant was not that of the old technology not supporting the iPad so much as the iPad not being wifi capable and operational right out of the box. Apple's assumption that I need to sync up with iTunes is incorrect in my case. All I want at this juncture is for my friend to be able to surf the web and check his email. Had the salesman known his product, that could have been handled without a second trip to the Apple store.

I don't know what the iPad does when you first hook it up to iTunes, but it shouldn't be required for web surfing.

End of rant

...JER #9650 04/23/10 03:53 PM

Had the salesman known his product, that could have been handled without a second trip to the Apple store.

I must admit, i would like to have heard his response to: “ hey... you told me this would work with Tiger.”

Hal Itosis #9653 04/23/10 09:29 PM

Different salesman. Plugged it into an imac (I think), a couple of seconds the home screen came up and that was it. No input on my part, nothing, Looked to me to be a totally useless step.

...JER #9654 04/23/10 10:36 PM

Plugged it into an imac (I think), a couple of seconds the home screen came up and that was it. No input on my part, nothing, Looked to me to be a totally useless step.

A number of thing were possible at that time... iTunes probably launched (and if connected to the Internet, the iPad would have been "registered" to your account). I believe hooking up to a Mac also provides an opportunity to copy our already-purchased iPhone/iPod apps over to the iPad (i.e., every app for those devices in our library can be transferred to and then run on our new iPad). It's also an opportunity to transfer some music over... as well as bookmarks, Address Book contacts, iCal events and Mail accounts (thereby making setting up the iPad for that user a piece of cake).

I think if the salesman had been aware that you were buying this iPad for someone else who doesn't have any computer, perhaps he may have suggested they activate it (on behalf of your friend) in the store at purchase time.

Even with the iPhone i believe, there must be some step which ties the device to a specific person (and most likely some credit-card account as well). Better check up on that... before your friend starts downloading $tuff like mad.

wink

Hal Itosis #9678 04/25/10 10:35 AM

A mixed travel bag —

Testing the iPad’s Trip-Worthiness by Bob Tedeschi in today's New York Times Travel section.

That must be wonderful; I have no idea what it means.
— Molière
grelber #9685 04/26/10 04:12 AM

Hal Itosis #9690 04/26/10 04:42 PM

I was just chatting with an old friend yesterday, he tends to buy new shiney things as much as I do. He's had a Kindle for quite some time, (he does a lot of long flights in his work) and loves it. He just bought an ipad, and loves it also, but says that there's definitely an eyestrain difference between it and the Kindle. After an hour of reading on the ipad, something about the backlight has the eyes aching much moreso than the kindle. Just something to consider. I was at first expecting him to ditch the kindle entirely, but he's keeping it for when he wants to read.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #9705 04/28/10 08:53 PM

laugh heh... i'm not even sure where to post this one:

[only Windblows users need worry (so far).]

--

Ever wonder what Steve Jobs really thinks about Flash? Well, wonder no more:

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/29/10 04:17 PM. Reason: moved Gizmo link to new thread
Hal Itosis #9965 05/17/10 03:41 AM

Apparently, this Danish guy is a GUI guru (and he contends that the iPad's interface still needs some work):

Hal Itosis #10136 05/25/10 05:48 PM

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 05/26/10 12:27 AM.
Hal Itosis #10172 05/26/10 05:43 PM

Apple Selling More iPads Than Macs (and approaching iPhone sales).

alternaut moderator
alternaut #10243 05/30/10 06:09 AM

Aye Laddie, ewe dew av a wee bit of an accent... but we get the picture, thanks mate:

iPad as an External Display for your Mac

Air Display

cool

Hal Itosis #10271 05/31/10 06:42 AM

Okay, so i bit.

Air Display does work... even functions within the "Spaces" context. Right now i have a terminal window (via space 1) on my iPad's screen [a dream come true... almost wink ], and i switched to space 5 and slid the Activity Monitor window over there. I can interact a bit with stuff in those windows by clicking on (beg pardon) by touching them on my iPad. E.g., *buttons* (or panels) behave well, such as those in Activity Monitor's main display. It's pretty strange, as soon as i touch something on the iPad, my mouse cursor flies off the MBP screen and becomes a cursor over on the iPad. shocked Blasphemy!

But i guess that's expected multi-screen behavior. However, the "interface" isn't all there (nor is it intended to be *yet* i'd imagine): single clicks err, touches work fine, and it seems i can move the windows with two fingers as well... but other stuff (selecting text for example) is simply too awkward. [and once selected, i'd need to do the copy part on the Mac, as there is simply no facility (that i can see anyway) within Air Display's uh... display. So hence the name "display" i guess (as opposed to 'screen share' or whatever).] Of course —from my MBP's trackpad and keyboard, i can manipulate everything (on the iPad's screen) as usual with multi-screen setups.

It's not without its quirks, but i haven't spotted anything to call a bug yet. It pretty much works as described, and fairly fast too. I had to back off my firewall settings a bit to allow its "ScreenCapture app" (inside an installed "Air Display" prefPane on the MBP) to permit communication to pass, and sometimes it still takes two or three tries for the connection to get properly initiated. But it performs well from that point on.

I'll have to find some truly "magical" purpose to put this to. But for right now, having a terminal window to glance over at (and type into from my MBP) is a pretty cool start.

Hal Itosis #10273 05/31/10 11:26 AM

& I guess the iPad display can be in another room? Does it work just over Wi-Fi, or 3G too?

...JER #10279 05/31/10 04:50 PM

From the looks of it they need to be on the same local subnet, where multicast and UDP work locally. It's almost certainly using UDP for speed's sake.

So for example, the ipad could be on your home airport, and your mac pro could be on the cat5 of that same network, and it would be fine.

Actually it probably works BETTER if your screen mac is on ethernet, because otherwise the two machines are both competing for traffic space on the wireless. In the demo we saw, I bet that alone would have almost eliminated the jitter he was getting.

But since 3G is not on your LAN, I doubt it will work anywhere. It'd probably also be much too slow.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #10290 06/01/10 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Actually it probably works BETTER if your screen mac is on ethernet, because otherwise the two machines are both competing for traffic space on the wireless. In the demo we saw, I bet that alone would have almost eliminated the jitter he was getting.

Yes, for the tests i posted it was dueling WiFi (with the Time Capsule base about 30 feet away at the time), which might account for those "connection" initiation quirks i encountered.

Hal Itosis #10418 06/06/10 01:21 PM

In case anyone was not already aware: both Kindle and now Stanza are (freely) available for the iPad.

Hmm, there is no iPad-specific info at Lexcycle.com yet... so here's a CNet link:
Comics, PDFs, and more: Stanza for iPad is a universal (and free) killer e-reader

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 06/06/10 01:27 PM.
Hal Itosis #10468 06/09/10 11:10 PM

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard