Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Changing airport address name
#9565 04/20/10 01:33 AM
mseik Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all,

I have linksys and it has its own address name. When I turn Airport on to connect a laptop wirelessly, it shows the address as my full name and then iMac (mseik's iMac but my full first and last name). I didn't name my computer with my full name, so I have no idea where it's coming from, and I can't find out where to edit it. The network name dropdown in the airport config panel doesn't offer a place to edit the name.

I went over to my landlady's to try to fix her laptop, and in her wireless network listing was my full first and last name and iMac! Totally freaked me out. So now I'm keeping airport off, but would like to configure this to something more cryptic and more secure.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks.

Re: Changing airport address name
mseik #9566 04/20/10 02:19 AM

We can set the computer's network name in the Sharing panel of System Preferences.

Fwiw, that default name was supplied by the OS. It's best to avoid punctuation and other non-alphanumeric characters (someone should tell Apple that).

Hal Itosis #9567 04/20/10 02:46 AM
mseik Offline OP
OP Offline

That's the strange thing about it. I already changed the name in sharing, but that's not the name that's coming up. Vewwy stwange mistew wabbit.

mseik #9570 04/20/10 05:35 AM

I've never worked with a linksys, so please forgive me if this is totally off the mark...

I use an AirPort Express Base Station, and its network name that I see in the drop-down that, well. drops down when I click on my menu bar icon is set in /Apps/Utilities/AirPort Utility>Wireless>Wireless Network Name. (Edit: Sorry... That's after clicking on "Manual Setup.")

Hope this helps.

Last edited by artie505; 04/20/10 05:37 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #9576 04/20/10 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I use an AirPort Express Base Station, and its network name that I see in the drop-down that, well. drops down when I click on my menu bar icon is set in /Apps/Utilities/AirPort Utility>Wireless>Wireless Network Name. (Edit: Sorry... That's after clicking on "Manual Setup.")

Same here (version 5.5.1).
[vewwy vewwy simple wink ]

Hal Itosis #9582 04/20/10 04:54 PM
mseik Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a small bump on my head. It's okay, I've got ice on it now. It's from hitting my head on the desk trying to dislodge my reason for buying a Linksys instead of an AirPort Express Base Station that coupla years ago.

Ttthhhank yew.

mseik #9585 04/20/10 08:03 PM

Does that mean that AirPort Utility doesn't deal with your Linksys the same way it deals with my AirPort Express, or were you able to resolve your issue?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard