Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Optiarc software
#9509 04/17/10 02:06 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

20" imac 2.66Ghz 300 HD

I have Optiarc DVD RW AD 567OS software.

Can I update it (?) to Optiarc DVD RW AD 7200?

If yes, is there any advantage in doing so?

jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: Optiarc software
jaybass #9510 04/17/10 04:01 PM

It would help if you told us which model drive you've got. tongue That said, I'm fairly sure the Sony/Optiarc web site will let you know if your model drive is compatible with which version(s) of the software they provide, and exactly what that software is capable of doing.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #9516 04/17/10 11:00 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Let me elaborate on why I asked about the optiarc software.
I ripped a movie using MTR3 without issue and verified it.
I then burnt it using toast 7 and again okay.
But it would only play for 7 seconds in my DVD player and the same for my computer.
I opened "about this mac" but the name of the optical drive is not named...only that it is a superdrive. I believe that it is a Matshita.I understand that there some ripping problems with that make. I was grasping at straws thinking the software may have some bearing so I thought I would ask you guys if the
update ? might help.
jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #9520 04/18/10 12:10 AM

If you are using 10.4, you could try Patchburn.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jaybass #9522 04/18/10 01:10 AM

I'm trying to find out why you're using the Optiarc software to begin with; so far it looks like it's just a driver, correct? If so, the question is why you'd even need one, given the fact that you seem to have a Mac that came with Leopard (which shouldn't require external drivers, nor Patchburn for standard mechanisms like Matshita). To answer that, it's relevant to know if your drive is an internal or external one, and which OS version you're running now.

Btw, internal optical drives tend to be listed under System Profiler's ATA tab, while any externals are listed under their respective buses further down SP's Hardware list (e.g., FireWire, USB etc.). If SP doesn't recognize anything under the proper bus, make sure to reload SP after loading a disc. SP *should* recognize the mechanism.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #9536 04/18/10 02:47 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

OS 10.5.8 No external drives.
I checked SP & under ATA it states that this system does not contain any ATA devices. And under Serial-ATA device tree it gives some info re Hitachi HD followed by the optiarc software,so since there is no ATA devices, I guess I'm not needing optiarc software.
I look under hardware, then Disc Burning and Optiarc DVD RW AD 567OS is listed. Why is this software listed under hardware?
I don't see the actual name of the optical drive anywhere.
Thanks for your reply,
jaybass

jaybass #9538 04/18/10 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: jaybass
I look under hardware, then Disc Burning and Optiarc DVD RW AD 567OS is listed. Why is this software listed under hardware?
I don't see the actual name of the optical drive anywhere.

You're absolutely correct about SP's Disc Burning pane, and I should have mentioned that. I strongly suspect that what you see is in fact the name of the drive mechanism. I don't know why Optiarc would be listed there unless it's the name of the drive mechanism, or possibly the firmware version installed. Yet, the fact that the drive mechanism's name is not listed in the ATA pane is confusing.

So my next question is, is Optiarc listed at the top of the Disc Burning pane (corresponding to the drive mechanism's name), or under the heading Firmware Revision? If not the latter, what's listed there?

alternaut moderator
alternaut #9539 04/18/10 04:40 PM

Quote:
... Yet, the fact that the drive mechanism's name is not listed in the ATA pane is confusing...
It's because the drive has a sata interface. "Optiarc DVD RW AD 567OS", the ATA variant is named "...5670A".

_Mike_ #9540 04/18/10 04:52 PM

Thanks for that piece of info, it makes perfect sense. cool I was wondering about that, but haven't come across SATA optical drives as default in iMacs yet; there's hardly a need for that speed there, unless perhaps it's blueray (again, not default in iMacs). Anyway, it seems like we're looking at the drive name, not the driver software, and if true there would be no need to upgrade. We'll see what Jaybass has to add.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #9541 04/18/10 06:29 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Under disc burning, Optiarc DVD RW AD-567OS is listed at the top followed by Firmware revision (2AHH) then interconnect ATAPI.
If Optiarc is the name of the drive mechanism, you'd think it would have an identifying suffix or whatever.

After reading some remarks in "rip different's" forum,
I'm pretty sure the optical drive was the problem in my last rip.
Thanks for everything.
jaybass

jaybass #9542 04/18/10 06:56 PM

Thanks, that clinches it: the Optiarc is the drive mechanism, not the software. If it came with the iMac as the default optical drive, Mac OS X should have the driver for it and things should work OK with that. Still, there may be a newer driver available; check Apple's driver updates or look for updates at the OEM's web site. It's also quite possible that the drive is not functioning properly, but that's difficult to ascertain without obvious problems.

As to firmware, the Optiarc RW AD-5670S featured in this Firmware Page forum thread, which mentions the presence of a newer firmware version (2AHI). No idea if that's helpful or even advisable, or if this is even relevant to your Mac and drive model.

Last edited by alternaut; 04/18/10 07:44 PM. Reason: added firmware info

alternaut moderator
jaybass #9543 04/18/10 07:34 PM

Most (all?) recent macs use Matshita slot load drives. (the tray loaders are more often Pioneer I believe?)

Slot load optical drive are by their nature much less durable than tray loaders. If you have an out-of-warranty slot load drive, I would recommend replacing it with an external firewire (or USB) drive. macsales.com sells good drives in very good enclosures. They also sell bluray readers (and burners!) if you're interested, but be aware that their read/write speed is much lower than a regular drive, something about being bluray makes their CD/DVD speeds really stink.

You should never consider regular use of a slot load drive. (as in for example, making a backup every day to CD, or making 50 copies of a disc, etc) They just weren't meant for heavy use. I consider the optical drive in my mbp to be "only if you have no choice". It's an unfortunate necessity that the new imacs all use slot load drives.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard