for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Intuit advocates PIRACY?
#9382 04/10/10 10:53 AM
OP Online

During the course of its installation TurboTax d/l'ed a series of updates, and as I perused the list of issues they corrected "Why is my rejected return being counted as one of my 5 e-files?" caught my eye.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding this

Quote:
If you have already attempted to re-transmit your rejected returns and are seeing this message about exceeding your 5 e-file limit, you will need to print the return and file by mail or use a different computer to complete the e-file process.

and this

Quote:
[....] If you are in this situation, you would also need to either print and mail the return or install TurboTax on a different computer to finish the e-file process.

Intuit has been backed into advocating piracy of its own software. (Emphasis added in both quotes)

I doubt that they're terribly happy about having had to post that (and I wonder what other possibilities they've now alerted users to). grin

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Intuit advocates PIRACY?
artie505 #9385 04/10/10 11:44 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

The TurboTax_2009_EULA.pdf says

Quote:
2. Supplemental License Grant and Restrictions. In addition to the General License Grant you may: (I) install and use a copy of the Software on one or more computers owned by you (at home or at work)

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
artie505 #9399 04/11/10 01:42 AM

it looks like a case of "tell our users to violate our EULA", or "tell our users how to circumvent one of our revenue-generating product limitations". Obviously the former wins over the latter.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #9416 04/11/10 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
it looks like a case of "tell our users to violate our EULA", or "tell our users how to circumvent one of our revenue-generating product limitations". Obviously the former wins over the latter.

Look again:
“one or more”

Virtual1 #9420 04/11/10 05:10 PM

....or "tell our users how to circumvent one of our revenue-generating product limitations".

I wonder. I use a different product than TurboTax whose product can't be used for more returns than the specified limit unless the software is repurchased. If it's the same with TurboTax, then perhaps it's just marketing. i.e. The greater the number of machines it's installed on, the greater the chances of a new customer signing on.

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
cyn #9442 04/12/10 09:09 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: cyn
The TurboTax_2009_EULA.pdf says

Quote:
2. Supplemental License Grant and Restrictions. In addition to the General License Grant you may: (I) install and use a copy of the Software on one or more computers owned by you (at home or at work)

The "piracy" is not the action of installing the software on a second machine, but that of using the second installation to exceed the 5 e-file limit.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Virtual1 #9443 04/12/10 09:19 AM
OP Online

It's more like vise-versa. (See my response to cyn.)

ryck #9444 04/12/10 09:44 AM
OP Online

> I use a different product than TurboTax whose product can't be used for more returns than the specified limit unless the software is repurchased.

Just to clarify, my TurboTax Deluxe allows the preparation and printing of an unlimited number of Federal and state (just one state, though) returns, but Federal e-filing is limited to five returns. (State e-filing is not an included option...$20/state return e-filed.)

> If it's the same with TurboTax, then perhaps it's just marketing. i.e. The greater the number of machines it's installed on, the greater the chances of a new customer signing on.

I'm not sure I follow you there. (The additional installations are on machines that are also owned by the software's owner, so from where's the benefit to be derived?.)

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard