for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Setting up second email in Mail
#9267 04/06/10 06:55 PM
OP Offline

Wow, I thought I knew how to do this, but I'm going around in circles.

I am getting ready to dump my dialup ISP!!! I already have a new satellite ISP and am wanting to add my email address.

How do I do this? I don't want to eliminate my original ISP until 4/15/10. Otherwise, I would just substitute the info and be done.

I went to "mail" preferences and Accounts and clicked "Add" for another email account. There is no place to type in outgoing server. Without that, I can't get anywhere since it's different than the current one. Please help!!!! Thanks.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Setting up second email in Mail
plantsower #9282 04/07/10 04:07 PM

mail's gotten more and more "auto setup" over the years. Outgoing is going to be a bugger anyway though.

MOST isps do NOT allow you to use their SMTP server unless you are on their network. And most don't require authentication. AND many actually block you from using anyone else's unauthenticated smtp server. (to disable spambots that get loose on their network)

So you are most likely going to have to send mail using your new ISP's smtp server.

NOTE: some isp smtp servers will not allow you to specify a different address other than yours in the "From" or "reply-to" fields, which basically makes the whole exercise pointless.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #9285 04/07/10 04:15 PM
OP Offline

Hi: I am confused. Not that tech savvy. See below in red ().
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
mail's gotten more and more "auto setup" over the years. Outgoing is going to be a bugger anyway though.

MOST isps do NOT allow you to use their SMTP server unless you are on their network. And most don't require authentication. AND many actually block you from using anyone else's unauthenticated smtp server. (to disable spambots that get loose on their network)

Are you saying I am going to have to remove my original ISP (which is dialup) before I can get my new ISP (Starband) to work?

So you are most likely going to have to send mail using your new ISP's smtp server. (That's what I am trying to do but it doesn't work. It keeps asking for my password and then rejects it.)

NOTE: some isp smtp servers will not allow you to specify a different address other than yours in the "From" or "reply-to" fields, which basically makes the whole exercise pointless. Huh?

Thanks. Rita

Last edited by plantsower; 04/07/10 04:18 PM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #9288 04/07/10 04:52 PM
OP Offline

What do you guys think of Eudora? I noticed Starband supports Eudora and has instructions on how to set up the mail. Not so with Safari mail.

I have heard of Eudora for years but don't completely understand how it works. Does it interface with my POP mail as another option? I've been reading up on it, but it's still not clear to me whether it's a stand alone app or I just go to my mail program to use it after it's downloaded.

Thanks. That may be the way I have to go.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #9291 04/07/10 05:37 PM

Looking at your sig, i guess you need info about Apple Mail 2.x for Tiger then?

What does your ISP want for port numbers... and are they doing secure (SSL) authorizations? [you should link to their instructions so we could see them]

plantsower #9293 04/07/10 05:42 PM

Eudora is simply another application for accessing email. Many people like Eudora and more swear by it than swear at it. Its history has been checkered going from freeware to shareware to commercial and now back to freeware under the Mozilla Project umbrella where it is becoming a variant of Mozilla's Thunderbird email client.

The configuration issue you are having with Mail my have absolutely nothing to do with the Mail application and everything to do with your ISP. However there is no reason you should not be able to have multiple email accounts and/or SMTP servers in the version of Mail that comes with TIger. I no longer have anything around that will run Tiger, so I do not have anything available so I can give specific setup instructions. However, I did find these excellent instructions for configuring Tiger Mail from the University of Maryland. You will have to substitute the appropriate settings for your new satellite ISP but these should work. Be sure to list your account name as userid@starband.net and not just userid.

Problems with email passwords often fall into one of four common errors:

1. upper and/or lower case errors
  2. confusion between numeral one and lower case letter l or upper case O and numeral zero
  3. inclusion of extraneous spaces
  4. flat having the wrong password

Unfortunately, there are a number of other errors that get reported as password errors such as an incorrect account name, etc.

FWIW, I just spent some time browsing the Starband site and nowhere did I find Macintosh support mentioned, so you are on your own. frown

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Hal Itosis #9294 04/07/10 05:44 PM
OP Offline

Mail is 2.1.3 Here you go: Setting up Email at Starband.net

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Looking at your sig, i guess you need info about Apple Mail 2.x for Tiger then?

What does your ISP want for port numbers... and are they doing secure (SSL) authorizations? [you should link to their instructions so we could see them]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #9295 04/07/10 05:47 PM
OP Offline

Right, I am on my own. That's why I come to you guys. I know I will get some kind of help. I can find nothing wrong with my password. I believe all the other info is correct. I am going to check out that link you sent me now. Thanks. Rita

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Eudora is simply another application for accessing email. Many people like Eudora and more swear by it than swear at it. Its history has been checkered going from freeware to shareware to commercial and now back to freeware under the Mozilla Project umbrella where it is becoming a variant of Mozilla's Thunderbird email client.

The configuration issue you are having with Mail my have absolutely nothing to do with the Mail application and everything to do with your ISP. However there is no reason you should not be able to have multiple email accounts and/or SMTP servers in the version of Mail that comes with TIger. I no longer have anything around that will run Tiger, so I do not have anything available so I can give specific setup instructions. However, I did find these excellent instructions for configuring Tiger Mail from the University of Maryland. You will have to substitute the appropriate settings for your new satellite ISP but these should work. Be sure to list your account name as userid@starband.net and not just userid.

2. confusion between numeral one and lower case letter l or upper case O and numeral zero

Unfortunately, there are a number of other errors that get reported as password errors such as an incorrect account name, etc.

FWIW, I just spent some time browsing the Starband site and nowhere did I find Macintosh support mentioned, so you are on your own. frown

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #9297 04/07/10 05:51 PM
OP Offline

That was an excellent tutorial. Also, great for beginners which I shouln't be at this point. frown Anyway, I had already done all that stuff and then some.

I am wondering why they strongly recommend Imap over Pop. Doesn't that have to do with the internet web based emails? Would that be because my ISP also has a web based mail and I could use Imap to retrieve my email from there? Hmmmmm.

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Right, I am on my own. That's why I come to you guys. I know I will get some kind of help. I can find nothing wrong with my password. I believe all the other info is correct. I am going to check out that link you sent me now. Thanks. Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #9300 04/07/10 06:29 PM

IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol is an email protocol where your messages are stored on the ISP's server and not on any given computer. The advantage is whether I am in an internet cafe, on my iMac at home, on my MacBook Air on the road, or using my iPhone I have all of my messages available to me and if I delete a message on any one of the various machines, it is deleted on all of them.

From reading the Starband web page, I do not believe they support IMAP. AFIK most ISPs do not. If you are interested in IMAP there is a way you can get it through Google's GMail but still using your Starband address. If you are interested let us know and someone can walk you through setting that up.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #9301 04/07/10 06:53 PM
OP Offline

That link you sent me strongly encouraged IMAP if I am remembering correctly. Maybe they are using a special server. I've considered getting Gmail twice and then changed my mind. Can't remember why but I wasn't happy about something. If I decide to do that, I will come back and ask. Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll call Starband and if I get no satisfaction, I will try Eudora which they support. Of course, it could be just the windows Eudora support. frown Rita

IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol is an email protocol where your messages are stored on the ISP's server and not on any given computer. The advantage is whether I am in an internet cafe, on my iMac at home, on my MacBook Air on the road, or using my iPhone I have all of my messages available to me and if I delete a message on any one of the various machines, it is deleted on all of them.

From reading the Starband web page, I do not believe they support IMAP. AFIK most ISPs do not. If you are interested in IMAP there is a way you can get it through Google's GMail but still using your Starband address. If you are interested let us know and someone can walk you through setting that up.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #9303 04/07/10 07:03 PM

Is there something special about "Starband" or, why don't you just get Internet service from either your phone or cable company?

plantsower #9304 04/07/10 07:12 PM

Rita,

IMAP Vs. POP, that is the question...

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous Mail accounts...

I think (hope) the above will help clarify/resolve the IMAP/POP issue.

And please, do let us know of your success (or not ) with Starband & Eudora or GMail.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Hal Itosis #9305 04/07/10 07:13 PM
OP Offline

Hal: There is absolutely nothing special about Starband. It's just that in our rural area it's either dialup or satellite. It was eeny meeny miney moe between Starband, Wild Blue and Hughesnet. Not much of a choice I know.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Pendragon #9307 04/07/10 07:19 PM
OP Offline

Harv: I don't know why, but my stardband email has decided to work!!! Sort of!! I can now send emails to my Yahoo account and receive them. I tried sending them to myself at starband and it's a no go. In fact, when I click "get Mail" nothing happens. Usually when I do that, you see the moving circle at least checking. Wonder why that's no working. It's set to "online".

I just heard the sound that says it checked and there is no mail. There should be a mail from starband (me). Oh well. It's better than nothing. Not sure if it will go to other POP accounts or not. I emailed my friend at sbcglobal and got no response. She just emailed me earlier so now i wonder if she got it.

I will definitely keep you guys posted if this straightens out one way or the other. Thanks so much. Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Pendragon #9331 04/08/10 03:31 PM
OP Offline

Harv: It's working!!!!! It was little stuff. First they told me not to authenticate the outgoing mail. Then, over night, that changed. Also, in the user name section I had to put the whole email address even though it just asked for the user name. After fixing that, it works perfectly!!! Thanks everybody for your help. That's not to say there won't be glitches in the future but for now, it's perfect. smile

Rita

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
Rita,

IMAP Vs. POP, that is the question...

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous Mail accounts...

I think (hope) the above will help clarify/resolve the IMAP/POP issue.

And please, do let us know of your success (or not ) with Starband & Eudora or GMail.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #9404 04/11/10 02:01 AM

Those are probably some of the top two email issues I run into almost daily. We've had to get screenshots of the account setup, advanced account setup, and receive pages of all the local ISPs so we have them on hand. Never trust what they say over the phone. And all too often they give setup instructions on their web site for some other email client that presents the setup options differently, or some of the options not at all. (because they're relying on specific defaults in the email app they're showing the setup on)

Mail does a pretty good job of probing the servers and trying different things - it gets it right more often than not. Using auth or not, auth type, and even port usually it guesses fine. Using or not using the full email address isn't something it tries though.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #9408 04/11/10 02:58 AM
OP Offline

It was quite a learning curve. I wish I had taken screen shots because you can't go back and look. Live and learn. smile Rita

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Those are probably some of the top two email issues I run into almost daily. We've had to get screenshots of the account setup, advanced account setup, and receive pages of all the local ISPs so we have them on hand. Never trust what they say over the phone. And all too often they give setup instructions on their web site for some other email client that presents the setup options differently, or some of the options not at all. (because they're relying on specific defaults in the email app they're showing the setup on)

Mail does a pretty good job of probing the servers and trying different things - it gets it right more often than not. Using auth or not, auth type, and even port usually it guesses fine. Using or not using the full email address isn't something it tries though.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard