Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Permissions Nightmare, need help
#9265 04/06/10 05:52 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

As if this ever ends:

My interns were telling me that the files they were trying to work on over my network they could not save, read only.

So I went to the folder on my imac that has all the folders I use over my network, changed the folder to allow everyone read/write. I click the little triange to appy to all enclosed items.
Now every file in this folder says: everyone read/write
So far so good.
But when I open the file on my laptop via the network, it command i says:
unknown (greyed out)- read and write
and below that: everyone - no access.
Any help appreciated. thanks!

Re: Permissions Nightmare, need help
kevs #9283 04/07/10 04:11 PM

umask problems make this tricky to work around.

Unfortunately, the best solution all around is to have everyone connect to the same share, using the same login and password. if that's YOUR share, then they need to connect to your machine as YOU. Some don't like that, but that IS the best way to go. (unless someone else has a better idea, I'd love to hear it!)

Also remember mac os x client only allows a max of 5 people connected at once via filesharing. Also worth noting, the box you are using for filesharing really should be a dedicated machine. The most unstable aspect of any server is the person trying to use the keyboard on it. Servers should be locked in a closet out of reach. Using one of your work machines as a server adds instability.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #9289 04/07/10 05:00 PM

I would add that —for both conveying as well as remedying situations like this —Terminal.app (using commands such as ls and chmod) would probably make for clearer understanding. [i.e., it would help to see a listing of the problem folder]:

ls -alOe /path/to/the/folder/

Also —rather than relying on world access ("everyone") —the typical approach is to have all users belong to a common *group*... and then be sure that that group is ubiquitous throughout the files and folders in that shared hierarchy.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/07/10 05:11 PM.
Virtual1 #9290 04/07/10 05:08 PM

I would add to V1's comment on the server, that it should be running OS X Server and not standard OS X. OS X Server, properly configured, would solve all of the problems you are encountering and prevent other potential problems you have not yet encountered. Apple currently catalogs a MacMini Server for under $1,000 complete with an unlimited OS X Server license.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #9397 04/11/10 01:37 AM

and iirc it comes with no ODD and a pair of 500gb drives, ready to raid.

Virtual1 #9431 04/11/10 11:43 PM

I'm trying to learn about servers because I'm likely to need one in the foreseeable future. For my unschooled mind would you please explain the meaning of "and iirc it comes with no ODD and a pair of 500gb drives, ready to raid"? Thanks. You left me in the dust on this one<sheepish grin>.

Last edited by JoBoy; 04/11/10 11:45 PM.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
JoBoy #9433 04/11/10 11:51 PM

This is how I read it: 'If I recall correctly, it comes without Optical Disk Drive but with a pair of hard drive mechanisms that can be readily configured according to one or the other RAID scheme.' In other words: the optical disk drive is exchanged for a second hard disk, giving you two HDs, the minimum needed for a RAID setup.

alternaut moderator
JoBoy #9452 04/12/10 07:15 PM

The mac mini server comes with NO optical drive. In its place is a second 500gb hard drive. (this may be an option, to replace the ODD with HDD #2, I am not a sales expert, I just fix 'em)

When you boot it up you will see Macintosh HD and Second HD on the desktop. if you wish to raid it, you will need to boot off something (external hard drive most likely, since there's no optical drive) and open disk utility. From there you can either select the main drive, change it to a degraded raid, and then tell it to adopt the other drive as the second slice, or you can simply nuke both drives and immediately set up a mirror.

10.4 at least (and possibly 10.5) had problems with creating a bootable raid that worked properly by creating it from scratch, and required you to create a degraded raid and then fix it. It may be fixed in 10.5 and I surely hope it's fixed in 10.6. I just know I had to do it "the other way" on three occasions, and there's a few articles scattered around that discuss the problem and how to fix it. (both in terminal for 10.4 and in DU for 10.5)

The "Second HD" can also just be used to host server data such as sharepoints, home folders, etc, and not be used for raiding. Apple recommends storing OS and data on separate drives, and I'm in agreement with them on this. But then I'm also in agreement that raiding your data is a very good idea, and raiding your OS is also useful, so you can't have your cake and eat it too.

And then we get into the whole "raid is not a backup" discussion...

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard