Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: iPad
Hal Itosis #9241 04/06/10 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
This is a test of the dragon dictation software
I must admit it is pretty darn cool

And you dictated the font size, color, and bold tags via, what...inflection? laugh

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #9244 04/06/10 03:56 AM

Nope... added those as usual via a few clicks . . . err taps.
Needed some way to dramatically portray the effect. grin

Note that (currently) we can't dictate directly into Safari... so there was more copy/paste than meets the eye perhaps. Stilll... For a long post it will be a fine assistant. [I was so excited I had to post something immediately.]

Will need to play with it some more later. (typed this by hand out of habit).

-&-

Adding to my list of recommended freebees mentioned earlier:
Dragon Dictation
Wikipanion
KAYAK Flights
QFolio HD
[a slicker stock ticker I have never seen]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/06/10 04:33 AM.
Re: MacBook Pro refresh
pbGuy #9271 04/06/10 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: pbGuy
... I've expanded my patience by ordering an iPad today. grin

On 4/3, I picked up my reserved, 16GB WiFi iPad. (I didn't want to overspend my budget on version 1.) Although I'm patiently content with using a Mac mini (and my trusted, PowerBook G4), while waiting for the MacBook Pro refresh, I'm really having fun exploring the possibilities of the iPad.

This product has the potential to change how media is absorbed daily (starting with publications & web-based material). Given how the iPad's hardware supports software (a totally different, visual experience from an iPhone or iPod touch), this product is a media-delivery platform that happens to also be a web device.

It could become commonplace to pre-download media, not subsequently requiring web connection, and enjoy that media in different settings. (I've already watched a widescreen movie; and, that experience showed me the iPad will be a solid companion for traveling.)

The iPad has already shown me I will enjoy reading books on it (I'll still enjoy special hardbacks for my library). Newspapers & magazines will be more robust, since publications can nest all sorts of media & reference web links. [I really hope newspaper & magazine publishers reasonably set pricing; and if they do, I know I'll be subscribing all of my newspapers & magazines to the iPad.]

This device could also carry a student's complete year of text books, also more fully enriched with web links.

And eventually, I think this platform will have business applications since it's easy to carry and will no doubt become a robust tool as hardware and software advancements occur.

Watching the development arc of the iPad, and 3rd party apps, is going to be something to witness.

Last edited by alternaut; 04/07/10 02:52 PM. Reason: Post moved from the thread 'MacBook Pro refresh' to 'iPad' by alternaut.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #9281 04/07/10 03:16 PM

Misc. items:
There are some odd things about this device, take Safari for example:
  1. no tab key, so i can't type a tab in Safari (-Pages provides a special tool we select via menu to produce a tab character)
  2. no option key, so i can't type a ç with a cedilla or pi π, (a special € key is provided tho)
  3. no arrow keys for cursor navigation (insertion point movement)
  4. no way to type `back tics` (handy for posting Unix commands)
  5. no way to search for a string on a web page, such as finding "Reuters" here (really strange)
  6. no way to save a webpage file (be it in html, archive format, pdf or even a link), except only as a bookmark entry
  7. basic text manipulation such as editing this post still feels awkward (and slow)
Must admit, it takes hutzpah on Apple's part to release a product which functions "as expected" with that list of handicaps. [And i'm surprised that more power posters such as myself haven't been highlighting those quirks (not that i've seen anyway).]

I hope tomorrow's version 4 announcement will change some of that.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/07/10 06:34 PM. Reason: used PowerBook to type "impossible" chars
Hal Itosis #9312 04/07/10 11:56 PM

dkmarsh #9317 04/08/10 05:37 AM

Right you are... I hadn't seen that. [fair to say that i list a few tidbits he doesn't]

I see that Gruber also links to an article by one "Ted Landau" ? wink
File Sharing with an iPad: Ugh! [sill reading that now]

--

Here's a curious bit: tracking iPad sales by ads served to IP addresses???
http://labs.chitika.com/ipad/

For a brief explanation, see this thread:
http://chitika.com/research/2010/meet-the-ipad-with-real-time-stats/

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/08/10 05:49 AM.
Hal Itosis #9327 04/08/10 01:47 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

ii. no option key, so i can't type a ç with a cedilla or pi π

I saw this in iPademonium (continued), iPhone OS 4 (Small Dog's Tech Tails this week), under Tip of the Week: Special Characters on iPhone OS (including iPad):

Originally Posted By: Sebastian Massey
[...] the ability to type accent marks with the on-screen keyboard. This feature is part of the keyboard, not a particular app, so it can be used with Mail, Notes or even Pages.

To type a letter with an accent, simply hold your finger down on the letter for a second or two, and a number of options will appear. While still holding down your finger, just slide to the accented letter you want and release.

He doesn't mention Safari, and not having an iPad I can't test (this might be the "special tool we select via menu" you noted for Pages), but figured it was worth mentioning JIC it's useful.

Last edited by cyn; 04/08/10 02:05 PM. Reason: added info

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #9333 04/08/10 05:42 PM

My bad... blush since I knew umlauts wëre älso pössïble, I should have thought to hold down other keys as well.

There needs to be some indication of that... some sort of light grey marking on the key maybe. On a regular Mac, option-p does the pi symbol. I haven't found it on the iPad yet. [i guess it's here... But where?)]

Thanks!

In other news: MULTITASKING is here in the touch-OS 4.0 !!!

Think I saw that SKYPE is now official too.

Hmm, iPad owners will need to wait until the fall for 4.0

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/08/10 06:55 PM.
Hal Itosis #9340 04/08/10 09:34 PM

There are some odd things about this device, take Safari for example:
  1. no tab key, so i can't type a tab in Safari (-Pages provides a special tool we select via menu to produce a tab character)
  2. no option key, so i can't type a ç with a cedilla or pi π, (a special € key is provided tho)
  3. no arrow keys for cursor navigation (insertion point movement)
  4. no way to type `back tics` (handy for posting Unix commands)
  5. no way to search for a string on a web page, such as finding "Reuters" here (really strange)
  6. no way to save a webpage file (be it in html, archive format, pdf or even a link), except only as a bookmark entry

Should have included this too, since perhaps it's not self-evident: Safari cannot download a file. At least not the gzipped item I just tried. And even if it can, it will probably go to some "sharing" area where it would then need conveying to an actual computer. I.e., the iPad has no Finder wherein we can dork around with physical files... at least not in the manner to which we have long been accustomed.

Quote:
vii. basic text manipulation such as editing this post still feels awkward (and slow)

That's still the one issue that really sticks out to me. Basic typing is no problem... but being able to swiftly rearrange blocks of text or quickly add various style tags is somewhat tedious. The selection tool seems to favor letters, and all those [ brackets ] in the UBB tags make speedy edits slow and clumsy.

[haven't found the back tic or pi yet either. Also, something tells me that a hard (non-breaking) space --usually entered via option-spacebar -- is also impossible.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/08/10 09:45 PM.
dkmarsh #9358 04/09/10 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Yesterday was huge...

New iPOS 4.0 SDK agreement blocks developers from using Adobe's (upcoming) Flash Professional CS5 tools to repackage games for the iPhone/iPad:
  1. Daring Fireball
  2. NewYork Times blog

[no doubt this news will set The Lounge ablaze. smirk ]

"Regardless of how Apple corporate wants to portray its products,
 the Mac isn't a machine for the masses any more than red wine is
 the preferred beverage at baseball games.
 :
 So who cares about ubiquity anyway?"
--D. Story
Hal Itosis #9361 04/09/10 11:01 AM

Are you measuring the import of that announcement by its direct effect on you (e.g. you won't be able to port your own games to the 'Pad, or won't be able to look forward to your fave Flash titles), or is "huge" just a gauge of the reverberations that are gathering in the canyons of ars and slashdot? tongue

dkmarsh #9362 04/09/10 12:41 PM

Nope (none of the above). I think its 'import' stands on its own merit, without me or any particular forum. [though, MacRumors has become my "MFI/Tech Issues" replacement.]

--

EDIT:

What may be missed in all this (if not by you, then perhaps others) is that — as i indicated on page 3 —Adobe was in the process of cozying up to the iPhone via some converter that would cross compile ActionScript code (Flash) into iPhone code (or something compatible to that, whatever)... and, all that was supposed to become official real soon now. [Adobe CS5 Global Launch will be April 12th]

The thrust of what happened yesterday was Steve saying (basically): eff that!

I.e., some serious hardball gamesmanship going on. You (personally) may not deem that as "huge", but i bet Adobe feels differently. [and what do you suppose their return volley will be?]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/09/10 06:55 PM.
Hal Itosis #9417 04/11/10 04:18 PM

Some recent developments:
I guess we can just rename this thread "Hal's bookmarks" now.

[don't everyone talk all at once. wink ]

Hal Itosis #9418 04/11/10 04:41 PM

I'm already doing my iPhone OS development in Xcode. smile

And recent support experiences with Adobe have started to make Quark look good. Need I say more?

---

The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth. - Niels Bohr
Hal Itosis #9446 04/12/10 11:32 AM

Hey look, the spiritual leader of the "Progressive Blogosphere" calls the iPad a tool. wink

dkmarsh #9449 04/12/10 04:09 PM

Hey look, the spiritual leader of the "Progressive Blogosphere" calls the iPad a tool. wink

Everyone says "kos" (cause)... but it's really "k-os" (chaos), isn't it?

[decent review btw]

Today's link: http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

Hal Itosis #9485 04/15/10 01:30 AM

Bookmarkables...

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/15/10 05:43 PM.
Hal Itosis #9505 04/16/10 05:52 PM

• Israel confiscates visiting iPads -- Crackdown on Jobsian WiFi
Quote:
the iPad's "wireless technology is not compatible with Israeli standards."

Hal Itosis #9512 04/17/10 06:44 PM

Hal Itosis #9513 04/17/10 06:45 PM

• Israel confiscates visiting iPads -- Crackdown on Jobsian WiFi
Quote:
the iPad's "wireless technology is not compatible with Israeli standards."

I found this quote interesting: "American standards, with which the iPad does comply, allow for lower wireless power levels than do the European standards. Because of this, Haaretz quotes unnamed ministry officials as saying, "the broadcast levels of the [iPad] prevent approving its use in Israel.""

Why would they be concerned about lower broadcast levels? Do lower levels make it more difficult to detect and monitor (i.e. listen in on) the signals from the iPad?

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Hal Itosis #9547 04/18/10 07:54 PM

How is it then that they don't confiscate ipod touches, or any other computer for that matter that has built-in wifi???

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
ryck #9548 04/18/10 07:55 PM

grin

iggy investigates an ipad

Hal Itosis #9559 04/19/10 11:23 PM

An unusually thoughtful review comes from Apple alum Jean-Louis Gassée.

ryck #9564 04/20/10 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck
I found this quote interesting: "American standards, with which the iPad does comply, allow for lower wireless power levels than do the European standards. Because of this, Haaretz quotes unnamed ministry officials as saying, "the broadcast levels of the [iPad] prevent approving its use in Israel.""

Why would they be concerned about lower broadcast levels? Do lower levels make it more difficult to detect and monitor (i.e. listen in on) the signals from the iPad?

I've heard two explanations, one non-cynical and one cynical.

The non-cynical answer is that Israeli bureaucrats are merely being pedantic. The iPad uses a less powerful WiFi signal than what the law requires, but it does not have an Israeli wireless certification, and they don't care why it doesn't have the certification--they simply won't permit it until it does, reasons be damned.

The cynical explanation is that the Israeli government monitors wireless devices of all types very closely, looking for both illicit communications from potential terrorists and for wireless signals that could be used to remote-trigger bombs--and that the lower power output from the iPad makes it more difficult to monitor.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
dkmarsh #9568 04/20/10 02:48 AM

An unusually thoughtful review comes from Apple alum Jean-Louis Gassée.

Excellent find!!! Mr. BeOS himself. Nice one... thanks.

Btw, that cat viddy runs better on my iPad than on my (Flash-endowed) PowerBook G4. Also, it would seem to confirm something I read somewhere else... about the iPad's screen being virtually impervious to scratches. [edit: i.e., much like grime and smudges, they are visible when the unit is off... but once the screen is turned on, practically unnoticeable.]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/20/10 03:45 PM.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard