FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Running OS X on a Windows machine
#9043 03/25/10 04:26 PM
etaoin Offline OP
OP Offline

A friend of mine told me his college-aged kid got Mac OS X to run on his Windows laptop. Is this still considered a "hack" or has that become authorized? Just curious. Thanks.

Re: Running OS X on a Windows machine
etaoin #9045 03/25/10 06:51 PM

FWIW, just like jailbreaking an iPhone, running Mac OS X on generic PC hardware is considered a hack, and not authorized by Apple. Any potential legal consequences depend on the country you’re in, but so far Apple has not gone full tilt after transgressors other than by regularly updating the various OSes and with it affecting various hardware compatibilities.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #9048 03/25/10 10:55 PM

Just to reinforce what Alternaut said according to paragraph 2 of the Mac OS X Software License Agreement
Originally Posted By: Mac OS X Software License
This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.

emphasis added
So installing OS X on a PC is a violation of the Apple License Agreement.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
etaoin #9060 03/27/10 03:29 PM

I couldn't resist taking a look at the "iSnow Portable" project. OS X 10.6.2 on a usb flash drive, bootable on most PCs. Works surprisingly well. I suppose if you install it using a macintosh, (which you do) and then take the flash drive to a pc and boot it, you're not violating at least one of the usual silly licensing agreements, eh? It says you can't install it on a non apple brand computer, but doesn't say anything about running it. wink Everyone knows if you take a live CD or a flash drive with firefox to another computer, you're not installing anything.

I personally just use it to demo to PC users what Mac OS X looks like. Heck, the way I see it, I'm drumming up Apple some business.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  joemikeb, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard