for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
System Prefs locks up when updating panels
#9025 03/24/10 03:04 PM
OP Offline

Howdy all. I'm having a problem with my System Preferences. Any time I try to update or remove an existing panel, System Preferences locks up with the spinning beach ball and I have to force-quit it. I'm able to manage it all by adding/removing panels directly from the /Library folder, so this amounts to merely a relatively minor inconvenience, but I'm still stumped on a solution. This happens with any admin account on the computer, and repairing permissions doesn't help. Any ideas? Running 10.6.2. I only have this problem on my desktop Mac, not my laptop.

Re: System Prefs locks up when updating panels
JustAnnuthaDewd #9026 03/24/10 03:10 PM

The first thing I would try is going to your home folder > Library > Perferences and move com.apple.systempreferences.plist to the desktop and then either logout and log back in to your account or rebooting.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #9027 03/24/10 03:31 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
The first thing I would try is going to your home folder > Library > Perferences and move com.apple.systempreferences.plist to the desktop and then either logout and log back in to your account or rebooting.

Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to mention I had tried it already, but repeated it for kicks and unfortunately that didn't work.

JustAnnuthaDewd #9028 03/24/10 03:38 PM

Have you tried running Repair Disk with Disk Utility? In case you don't know how, read Mac OS X - Using Disk Utility to Repair a Disk. Better yet, use Disk Warrior, TechTool Pro or Drive Genius if you have one of them.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #9029 03/24/10 04:26 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Have you tried running Repair Disk with Disk Utility? In case you don't know how, read Mac OS X - Using Disk Utility to Repair a Disk. Better yet, use Disk Warrior, TechTool Pro or Drive Genius if you have one of them.

I just tried your suggestion to try repairing the volume using Drive Genius 2 from a backup volume and that didn't do the trick. frown

JustAnnuthaDewd #9030 03/24/10 05:11 PM
OP Offline

I think I finally more or less have this sorted out. I have my Applications folder categorized so I don't have everything cluttering up the one folder. In particular, System Preferences is in a subfolder called Utilities. I just decided to try moving it back out of Utilities into /Applications and the problem promptly resolved. This has never been an issue in the past, and I'm a bit befuddled as to why it is now. I have noticed that Snow Leopard seems to be a bit fussier than prior versions in relocating OS X's included apps to other locations. Anywho… appreciate the suggestions. I'll double-check my permissions on those subfolders to be sure that isn't the problem.

JustAnnuthaDewd #9032 03/24/10 05:39 PM

Thanks for the update. It’s true that certain apps, particularly (but not exclusively) Apple’s, require to be at the top level of the Applications (or Utilities) folder to work properly or at all. Sometimes the only issue is an inability to see or install updates when the app is tucked away elsewhere (MS Office comes to mind). This limitation caused quite some comments by users transitioning from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X, and you show that it can still be an issue.

alternaut moderator
JustAnnuthaDewd #9038 03/25/10 04:28 AM

Never move Apple apps from their original installed locations. As you see it can cause issues and often can prevent them from being updated properly as new versions are released.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Kevin M. Dean #9040 03/25/10 12:25 PM

My rule of thumb, well, what I think is correct:

• If the application is installed with an installer, then for sure do not move it from where it is resident.
• If the application is merely a Drag & Drop, then it may be installed/dropped anywhere (well, within reason). But if you go this route, subsequent updaters may not be able to find it. But even this may be a mute point, as most drag & drop app updaters are replaced/updated in toto.

Conclusion: Follow Kevin's advice.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #9041 03/25/10 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
But even this may be a mute point, as most drag & drop app updaters are replaced/updated in toto.

Conclusion: Follow Kevin's advice.

If only everyone would follow that rule. smile

....oh and btw, it's moot, not mute.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Kevin M. Dean #9042 03/25/10 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Kevin M. Dean
...oh and btw, it's moot, not mute.

Most immutably so. wink

Hal Itosis #9044 03/25/10 06:36 PM

I put apps in my home folder in ~/Applications whenever possible, but I often have to move them temporarily to /Applications for updates.

I don't like installers that only let you select what volume to install to, and don't let you pick the folder...

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard