for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
404 File Not Found
#8728 03/06/10 07:11 AM
OP Online

I'm trying to get into my friends' store's surveillance system and keep getting a 404/"The requested URL was not found on this server" error.

I'm getting the error with Leopard/Safari 3.2.3 (both with and without [all of] SafariBlock, Ad Subtract, and ClickToFlash enabled); I'm also getting it with Snow Leopard/pristine Safari 4.0.4, but my friend is not getting it with the same SL/pristine Safari 4.0.4.

On the other hand, though, I can get into the system just fine with Firefox 3.5.5.

I'd love to post the URL but, for obvious reasons, cannot.

Google is less than helpful in this instance.

Can anybody hazard a guess as to what may be the issue here?

Edit: On a lark, I ran DNS Flusher with no resultant joy.

Last edited by artie505; 03/06/10 07:18 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: 404 File Not Found
artie505 #8729 03/06/10 08:02 AM

Does the URL contain spaces, accented characters, or other unusual punctuation?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #8731 03/06/10 08:12 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: tacit
Does the URL contain spaces, accented characters, or other unusual punctuation?

It's http://##.###.###.###:100 (with the #s indicating digits and the :100 indicating that the connection needs to go through port 100 [or something along those lines]).

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #8732 03/06/10 09:38 AM

On the machine that does not work, are you running a firewall, or some kind of network blocking software that might block port 100?

tacit #8733 03/06/10 10:18 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: tacit
On the machine that does not work, are you running a firewall, or some kind of network blocking software that might block port 100?

Not that I'm aware of.

(I had my Apple firewall set for Safari/Block incoming connections, but changing "block" to "allow" accomplished nothing.)

Thanks for taking an interest.

Edit: I just disabled both Little Snitch and APE (one at a time) with no joy.

Last edited by artie505; 03/06/10 10:40 AM.

artie505 #8734 03/06/10 01:33 PM

My sneaking suspicion is that it has something to do with the fact that it's working on port 100. The fact that it works on some browsers but not others and some computers but not others, combined with the fact that it's on an unusual port, to me smells like an issue with some sort of filtering software blocking that port somewhere along the way.

Can you talk to the owner of the security site and find out if he can put up a simple page on port 80? If you can reach that but not the security feed on port 100, that would be very informative.

Last edited by tacit; 03/06/10 01:33 PM.

artie505 #8740 03/07/10 01:23 AM

try "curl http://##.##.##.##:100" and see what that gets you. it may display more useful information than your web browser.

there could be a proxy server issue in the mix, locally or at your isp?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
tacit #8827 03/14/10 11:20 AM
OP Online

Sorry for being slow getting back to you.

Correction, clarification, update...

It is not the MBP that can get into the site; it's a PowerBook G4.

The blind URL I posted is that of the security system's login page, which I can get into; the URL of the target page, the one that displays the camera images and controls, which I cannot get into, is http://##.##.##.##:100/home.cgi.

Macs and OS X and browser versions that can and cannot get into the target page:
  1. PowerBook G4/10.3.9/Max version of Safari: Yes
  2. iBook G4/10.4.11/Safari 4.04: No
  3. iBook G4/10.4.11/Explorer 5.5: Yes
  4. MacBook/10.5.7/Safari 3.2.3: No
  5. MacBook/10.5.7/Firefox 3.5.5: Yes
  6. MacBook (booted from flash drive)/10.6.2/Safari 4.0.4: No
  7. MacBook (booted from flash drive)/10.6.2/Safari 4.0.5: No
> Can you talk to the owner of the security site and find out if he can put up a simple page on port 80? If you can reach that but not the security feed on port 100, that would be very informative.

If only I could frown ...

My friend bought the system from some guys he met at a trade show, I've no idea if they have, or ever had, a storefront, and when I asked for their phone number over the summer it could not be found; likewise the user's guide which my friend took upstairs to read two years ago and hasn't been seen since. Aaaargh!!!

The system is PC based with only view access and minimal control functionality available from a Mac, and my best guess is I'd bet that the box in the back of the store is the server I'm trying to access.

Is any of that even the least bit helpful?

Thanks.

Last edited by artie505; 03/14/10 12:22 PM. Reason: [s][/s]

Virtual1 #8828 03/14/10 11:27 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
try "curl http://##.##.##.##:100" and see what that gets you. it may display more useful information than your web browser.

there could be a proxy server issue in the mix, locally or at your isp?

"curl http://##.###.###.###:100/home.cgi" returns:

Code:
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ curl http://##.###.###.###:100/home.cgi
curl: (52) Empty reply from server
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$

(Note that, as explained in my post to tacit, that is the correct target URL.)

Does that mean anything to you?

Thanks.

artie505 #8831 03/14/10 01:53 PM

Wow. Curioser and curioser.

Hmm. It's possible that there is some kind of proxy setting in the Macs or browsers that won't work. It's also possible that the CGI for the system looks at the browser's referrer and returns nothing for browsers it doesn't recognize--which would be a very weird thing to do.

Try this, just for kicks:

On one of the Macs where Safari doesn't work, go to Safari's preferences, click Advanced, and then click the Show Develop menu in menu bar (assuming you don't already have it turned on).

Then click Develop->User Agent->Firefox 3.5.3

Then try to go to the Web page. If it works, then what's happening is that the script is written to return a phony 404 error if it does not recognize the browser.

As a side note, these Macs that do and don't work are on the same network, right?

tacit #8991 03/22/10 10:03 AM
OP Online

Finally got to it...

> As a side note, these Macs that do and don't work are on the same network, right?

No; the various Macs which I've tried to get into the website are all unrelated, their only commonality being that they belong to people to whom I can entrust the passwords...no networks to be found anywhere.

Quote:
Try this, just for kicks:

On one of the Macs where Safari doesn't work, go to Safari's preferences, click Advanced, and then click the Show Develop menu in menu bar (assuming you don't already have it turned on).

Then click Develop->User Agent->Firefox 3.5.3

Then try to go to the Web page. If it works, then what's happening is that the script is written to return a phony 404 error if it does not recognize the browser.

I forgot to mention that I tried that in Safari 3.2.3 with no joy, but I didn't get around to trying in Safari 4.0.5 until you posted...

No joy with IE 8.0 or Firefox 3.5.3.

confused confused confused

Edit: It's just kinda odd that Panther's Safari can get in; is it possible that Safari has changed in some way that's caused this issue?

Last edited by artie505; 03/22/10 01:14 PM.

artie505 #8994 03/22/10 06:39 PM

It seems unlikely to me that the issue is a change in Safari. Whatever the problem is, it's something weirder.

A 404 error is generated by the server, not by Safari; changes in Safari should not cause the server to claim that the URL can not be found, unless the server is checking browser agents and has been programmed to spit back a phony 404 error with some browsers.

At this point, you've got me flummoxed.

tacit #8998 03/22/10 07:51 PM
OP Online

> At this point, you've got me flummoxed.

Oh, well... Thanks all the same for your input; if you can't figure this one out it's not likely that anybody can.

(I'll keep playing and see if there's anything to be learned.)

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard