for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
spotted = read ?
#8832 03/14/10 03:45 PM
OP Offline

I confirmed an interesting behavior that I'd suspected for awhile here... when I open a thread, the new threads and threads with new posts are of course yellow. I expected that when I opened the thread, that was what should make them go back to not being yellow.

But that's not how it's working. Simply listing the forum and SEEING the thread folder as yellow appears to mark the thread as "viewed". Open a forum and spot a yellow folder. Now click refresh. The folder should change back to not yellow without your ever having opened it.

I have about nine threads here that I read daily. I usually go into safari and do an "open in tabs" to open all nine of them at once. I'll close the tabs with no unread threads, and then go back and view them one at a time. Today I accidentally closed a tab that had an unread thread in it, and this was after having passed over several forums with unread threads. So I just closed the window and reopened in tabs again. ALL forums showed no unread threads now. (simply having listed the forum threads has cleared the unread flag on all threads in each forum)

So now I have no way to tell what I've missed this morning short of combing all the forums for new posts.

Last edited by cyn; 03/14/10 09:58 PM. Reason: Topic moved from the Lounge to FineTunedMac Feedback.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: spotted = read ?
Virtual1 #8839 03/14/10 07:09 PM

Yep... I sometimes find myself going down the list of most recent posts and looking at the dates to see if I've missed anything.

Annoying!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Virtual1 #8841 03/14/10 07:33 PM

In the word(s) of Manuel (of Fawlty Towers fame): ¿Qué?

When I open this forum, my eye is drawn immediately to new threads (yellow folder) and to new entries in existing threads (with the number of new replies in red parentheses).
And, yes, the "new" colors disappear once the item is accessed, even if not viewed; but I don't find that to be a problem since I've already noted (in my head) which ones they were.
And as I recall, that's the way it all functioned in MFIF.
Or am I missing something critical in your plaint?

grelber #8847 03/14/10 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Or am I missing something critical in your plaint?

Got OS X yet?

Virtual1 #8848 03/14/10 10:20 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
when I open a thread, the new threads and threads with new posts are of course yellow

You mean "when I open a forum" there, right?

Open a forum and spot a yellow folder. Now click refresh. The folder should change back to not yellow without your ever having opened it.

I can't reproduce that in Safari or Camino or Firefox. When viewing a forum, the yellow folder (and red numbers) indicating unread posts don't change after clicking Reload.

I have about nine threads here that I read daily. I usually go into safari and do an "open in tabs" to open all nine of them at once.

As above, I take it you mean forums there, not threads.

So I just closed the window and reopened in tabs again. ALL forums showed no unread threads now. (simply having listed the forum threads has cleared the unread flag on all threads in each forum)

I can't reproduce this either, in Safari or Camino (haven't tested it in Firefox). If I quit and relaunch Safari or Camino though, instead of just closing the window, then I get the same unread-showing-as-read that you describe.

In the case of quitting the browser I believe the change from unread to read is the expected UBBT v7.x behavior. No idea why we're getting different results when reloading a page or closing a window though.

So now I have no way to tell what I've missed this morning short of combing all the forums for new posts.

If you have a general idea of when you last visited FTM, you could use the Active Posts option in the Active Topics menu in the navigation bar. Would be faster than checking each forum.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
Hal Itosis #8850 03/14/10 11:56 PM

RE Got OS X yet?

Take your pick: Nope. Are you kidding?

grelber #8851 03/15/10 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
RE Got OS X yet?

Take your pick: Nope. Are you kidding?

Then that may be one thing that's “missing” when it comes to comparing your browsing experience (and/or Mac-using experiences in general) with Artie's (or anyone else's for that matter).

Just sayin'.

Perhaps your sig (or some part of certain posts) should make mention of OS 9, so that that distinction can be readily apparent.

Hal Itosis #8860 03/15/10 12:53 PM

I wouldn't have thought that such issues would vary across operating systems or browsers, supposedly being more due to the server (settings).
If it matters, I can always remark that I am using OS 9 and Mozilla.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard