An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Old drive / new enclosure: OS9 and Time Machine?
#8717 03/04/10 06:18 PM
Gregg Online OP
OP Online

Not sure where this fits, as it cuts across peripherals, OS and Applications. Since I will be trying something new to me, I put it here. Besides, this forum needs a new topic every three or four months, even if I have to supply it. wink

I’m considering one of the Vantec IDE to USB enclosures on this page for my old hard drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...archResult=True

Curiously, one mentions that it is compatible with Windows and OSX, and the other doesn’t. I wouldn’t think that matters, as long as the connections are right. (?) It seems like the only differences are color and price!

Now, my questions:
Can I put my old drive in one of these, and leave OS9 on it and then be able to boot from it and run OS9 while still having my main drive with OSX Leopard on it?
If I find an old AW file I want to convert to Word or Excel, will I be able to save it in the proper format and then move it to my OSX hard drive?
Then can I also use the now external drive with OS9 on it as my back up drive to use with Time Machine? If so, do I have to do anything else to the external to make that happen?

I have a few games on CDs that I’d mess with once in awhile if I can get them to install on the old drive before removing it from my G3.

Re: Old drive / new enclosure: OS9 and Time Machine?
Gregg #8720 03/04/10 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Gregg
- Can I put my old drive in one of these, and leave OS9 on it and then be able to boot from it and run OS9 while still having my main drive with OSX Leopard on it?
- Then can I also use the now external drive with OS9 on it as my back up drive to use with Time Machine? If so, do I have to do anything else to the external to make that happen?

OS 9 only supports USB-1, not USB-2, so the drive will be ssllooww there. Whether or not you can boot from it depends on your Mac (there were a few models with dual-channel USB that could), but again, it’ll be at USB-1 ‘speed’.

I’d partition the drive to accommodate the OS 9 stuff and Time Machine, in part because of the differing formats recommended, but since HD mechanisms are quite cheap I’d rather not bother trying to combine OS 9 with Time Machine.

alternaut moderator
Re: Old drive / new enclosure: OS9 and Time Machin
alternaut #8725 03/05/10 06:04 PM
Gregg Online OP
OP Online

Thanks for your input.

The old drive is 120GB and already partitioned. The cost of the enclosure is about $40 with shipping, so I'll look at the prices of new externals first before I decide. I always hate having to trash software because it becomes outdated.

...I still have a turntable and vinyl record albums! (never had 8-track tapes, but still use cassettes)

Gregg #8727 03/06/10 12:50 AM

Quote:
The cost of the enclosure is about $40 with shipping, so I'll look at the prices of new externals first before I decide.

If you'd like to be able to boot into OS 9, and your current Mac is OS 9 bootable, another option would be to order an enclosure which includes a FireWire ("IEEE 1394") interface, such as the Newegg.com - VANTEC NexStar ...closure.

What model Mac are you using?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #8735 03/06/10 02:50 PM
Gregg Online OP
OP Online

I've got a Mini with a 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 1 GB of 667 DDR2 SDRAM, or so a little window told me. The old drive is IDE. So I take it that IEEE 1394 means FireWire. It would be nice if they didn't speak in code. I didn't see anything about IDE, unless there's a code for that too.

Gregg #8736 03/06/10 06:38 PM

Your Mini cannot boot into Mac OS 9 or even run programs under Classic, because Classic is (1) only supported on PPC Macs running Mac OS X versions (2) up to and including Tiger. You may be able to access old data files with programs running under your current OS, if those programs can handle those files.

alternaut moderator
Gregg #8737 03/06/10 08:45 PM

Sheepshaver (to which you'll find a coupl'a references if you search FTM) enables OS 9 programs to run on Intel Macs.

If the stuff you want to access s important enough to you that you want to take a shot at it I can provide you with a coupl'a links.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
alternaut #8749 03/08/10 01:28 PM
Gregg Online OP
OP Online

So all those game CDs are just coasters now, I guess. I hate that!

Artie, I've gotten along find without having to access much on the old G3. This idea was probably driven more by nostalgia than anything else.

Thanks to everyone!

Gregg #8752 03/09/10 01:27 AM

Gregg,
Quote:
The old drive is 120GB and already partitioned.
For your consideration #1:
Is a 120 GB external hard drive large enough for your use with Time Machine? A general rule of thumb is difficult to pin down.

For your review:

The What we think section in Inside Leopard: Time Machine

The Think big section in Is Time Machine all you need?

And Time Machine -- Frequently Asked Questions

For your consideration #2:
In addition to the size of the old drive from the G3, you might also think about the age of that drive and the number of years it has served you well. How much more time might it have left before some mechanical failure occurs and all of your Time Machine backups are lost?

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #8756 03/09/10 01:32 PM
Gregg Online OP
OP Online

Those are good points. My current drive is 64GB (with 10GB dedicated to TTP's eDrive). That is rounded off from the 80GB advertised size, and at 64GB the old drive is not quite up to the doubling of space required that I have seen in the "literature". Thus, I suppose I would need the entire drive, perhaps and then some. I'm probably better off buying at least a 150GB drive, or whatever size is just higher than that. Before that realization, I was already giving consideration to your second point. Thanks for your input.

Moderated by  cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard