An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How To Display REAL File Sizes In Snow Leopard?
#8613 02/27/10 09:13 PM
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

Hello. I work a lot with video, DVD's, etc. This work relies heavily upon the long-time, established standard when it comes to file sizes; that is, that noble of all numbers, 1024.

Sadly, it appears that some computer makers, hard drive manufacturers, and even some ISP's, no longer have respect for the decades-old standard of 1024, upon which the computer industry was built. Thus, to earn a higher profit, and to pretend to offer more than they really are, they have chosen to use 1000, instead of 1024, as their unit of measurement. It makes Internet speeds appear faster than they really are; it makes hard drives seem bigger than they really are; etc. To me, it is plain old greed and deception.

For someone involved with video, where accurate measurements are required, this modern usage of 1000 presents a problem.

Thus, I am looking for a program which will allow me to display REAL file sizes in the Finder -- which relies upon 1024k/Kb, 1024Kb/Mb, 1024Mb/Gb, etc. -- rather than the more modern approach of 1000 units/whatever.

I was hoping that a program like MacPilot, or a similar app, might possess this tweaking feature, but I have been unable to find one to date.

The only thing that I can do for now is to use a program like MediaInfo, which is a halfway point, because I actually want ALL of my files on my hard drives to display the file size based upon 1024, and NOT upon 1000.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Re: How To Display REAL File Sizes In Snow Leopard
Toshi-Mac #8614 02/27/10 10:36 PM

I agree with you about the use of binary rather than decimal notation and I don't have a solution either. I am afraid both of us are tilting at windmills on this issue simply because too many users find binary totally incomprehensible and are too accustomed to thinking and working in decimal. However, I have submitted an Apple Feedback requesting Apple add a switch such as the one you are looking for and I invite you to join me in this. Perhaps if they get enough requests it will happen.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #8618 02/28/10 12:09 AM
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

Hello there,

Thanks for your response.

Well, I have some good news for you.

Someone on the MacOSXHints.com messageboard pointed me to a thread, and a program called "SwitchDiskSizeBase" which switches the Finder, Disk Utility, etc., back to base 2, so that file and folder sizes are displayed, based on 1024, and not on 1000.

If anyone is interested in downloading the program, you will find it here:

http://files.me.com/brkirch/72zto4

I am not the author of the program, so I make no guarantees concerning it. I am just passing along some useful information.

I have already downloaded the program, but haven't actually tried using it yet.

Toshi-Mac #8620 02/28/10 01:00 AM

An updated version that's supposed to work with Mac OS 10.6.2 is available here: http://web.me.com/brkirch/switchDiskSizeBase_3.zip (direct download link).

(Likewise, I haven't used it myself; I'm just passing on info I came across.)

alternaut moderator
alternaut #8623 02/28/10 01:54 AM
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

DRATS! I just tried using "switchDiskSizeBase Build 3" on a 27" 2.8 GHz Quad Core iMac running 10.6.2.

When I run the sudo command in the Terminal, I get the following error message:

"Cannot patch Foundation framework; either it is not a supported version or it is corrupted"

Does this mean that Apple is on to the developer's tricks and does not like it, or does he just need to update his app?

BTW, to obtain the very latest version of the program, please go here:

http://web.me.com/brkirch/brkirchs_Software/switchDiskSizeBase/switchDiskSizeBase.html

That might be a better link to go to, since the author will undoubtedly change the actual file name when he updates the app.

Thanks!

Toshi-Mac #8624 02/28/10 04:21 AM

I've noticed disk utility in 10.6 seems to be displaying numbers that humor the HD manufacturers. Instead of saying I have a 233gb hd, they say I have a 250gb.

Here on my laptop with 10.5 it says my hd is a 465.8gb samsung. If I were booted in 10.6 I believe it would say it's a 500gb samsung?

Here is my laptop on 10.5:

Code:
localhost:~ virtual1 $ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *465.8 Gi   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         200.0 Mi   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            433.8 Gi   disk0s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data WINDOWS HD              30.7 Gi    disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *10.0 Gi    disk1
   1:                 Apple_HFSX virtual1                10.0 Gi    disk1s2

and here is another machine on 10.6:

Code:
Service-Right:~ root # diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Service Right           25.2 GB    disk0s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS Service Data            294.4 GB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Right Data              249.7 GB   disk1s2
/dev/disk2
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *160.0 GB   disk2
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            159.7 GB   disk2s2

Clearly 10.6 diskutil is "using generous notation" for the human display. 320, 250, and 160 instead of 312, 233, and 149 whereas 10.5 is displaying a more honest 465 instead of 500.

I personally don't like it doing this, but I can see where it probably saves apple a lot of headaches when they get a customer calling to complain that they got cheated when they ordered a mac with a 500 and got a 465.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #8626 02/28/10 12:11 PM

Interesting. I'm running Leopard, so I'm unable to experiment, but we had an earlier thread in which it seemed that du, anyhow, still reports disk usage in binary GB under Snow Leopard when using the -h option.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Toshi-Mac #8627 02/28/10 01:18 PM

Quote:
Thus, to earn a higher profit, and to pretend to offer more than they really are, they have chosen to use 1000, instead of 1024, as their unit of measurement. It makes Internet speeds appear faster than they really are; it makes hard drives seem bigger than they really are; etc. To me, it is plain old greed and deception.

I don't believe this is the reason for the change at all. The more likely cause was a class action lawsuit brought by the same people you criticize for not understanding binary. Because of that lack of knowledge they thought they were getting screwed. The drives capacity were advertised in decimal but displayed in binary.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2003/09/60505

Virtual1 #8631 02/28/10 03:47 PM

The issue of Snow Leopard changing the units used to measure file/disk size etc. has received quite some attention since it was first announced, as demonstrated by the various links a Google search may produce on the topic.

But rather than go over this again here, it seems more appropriate to focus on the specific issue brought up by Toshi-Mac: how best to display binary sizes in Snowy instead of its new decimal default. cool

alternaut moderator
alternaut #8634 02/28/10 05:22 PM
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

Well, the author still hasn't responded to my email, or to the comment that I left on his web page. Hopefully, that is because he is working on a solution to this problem.

On a side note: Virtual1, are you the same Virtual1 of Powerbot fame, and a long-time user of Hotline...or better said, a former long-time user of Hotline? Just wondering.

Toshi-Mac #8654 03/01/10 05:06 PM
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

Hello Again,

I just wanted to update everyone.

I just heard from the developer of switchDiskSizeBase. He informed me that he needed a copy of the "Foundation.framework" folder in order to determine where the problem lies. He believes that it should be an easy problem to fix. I just sent the framework to him.

I'll let everyone know the results.

Toshi-Mac #8669 03/02/10 02:53 AM
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

Hi folks,

switchDiskSizeBase Build 4 is now available, and it enables late 2009 iMacs -- and I assume early 2010 iMacs -- to use base 2 (binary) instead of base 10 (decimal).

Below is the link to the download page:

http://web.me.com/brkirch/brkirchs_Softw...se_build_4.html

I have confirmed that it works on my 27" iMac.

Toshi-Mac #8680 03/02/10 08:50 PM

Thanks for staying with this issue and keeping all of us informed and updated.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard