FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Whence "bobsleigh" ?!
#8583 02/25/10 12:40 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

As far as I am aware, it should be (and always used to be) called "bobsled" ("a long racing sled with a steering mechanism controlling the front runners"). "Bobsleigh" isn't even given as an alternative in the dictionary.

"Sled" is a "vehicle mounted on runners, used for carrying people or loads over ice and snow; a sledge" or a "light wooden frame on runners, used by children for coasting over snow or ice".

"Sledge" is a "vehicle on low runners drawn by horses, dogs, or other work animals and used for transporting loads across ice and snow".

"Sleigh" is a "light vehicle mounted on runners for use on snow or ice, having one or more seats and usually drawn by a horse" (or by a bunch of reindeer, in the case of Santa Claus).

That must be wonderful; I have no idea what it means.
— Molière
Re: Whence "bobsleigh" ?!
grelber #8588 02/25/10 04:17 PM

> "Bobsleigh" isn't even given as an alternative in the dictionary.

Actually, hovering my cursor over "Bobsleigh" (No, Hal, I can't do it with a keyboard command. grin ) and depressing command-control-D returns "another term for bobsled."

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #8589 02/25/10 07:06 PM

FYI, artie is referring to OS X's built-in dictionary; by default, that's the New Oxford American Dictionary, in the US English version of OS X 10.5, anyhow.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
grelber #8590 02/25/10 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
- ...it should be ... called "bobsled". "Bobsleigh" isn't even given as an alternative in the dictionary.

- "Sleigh" is a "light vehicle mounted on runners for use on snow or ice, having one or more seats and usually drawn by a horse"...

Like sled and 'sledge', sleigh can also be a verb, meaning to ride (on) a sled (sic), although, in the case of sledge, that would be ‘transport in a sleigh’... I hope you get the drift, and won’t be stuck in this synonymic equivalent! laugh

Btw, you may need some redirection: Bob’s definitely associated with both sled and sleigh, although in the latter case, not verb-ally. Curiously, he’s not into sledges at all; perhaps that combination holds a bad connotation for him... shocked

alternaut moderator
grelber #8591 02/25/10 09:50 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Ancillary (and perhaps more pertinent) query:
The term "bobsled" was used for the Winter Olympics event until recently, perhaps not earlier than 2002. Why the change to "bobsleigh"? Even The World Almanac (a New York Times publication) refers to the event as "bobsledding".

grelber #8592 02/26/10 12:36 AM

Why the change to "bobsleigh"?

Change? Wasn't it sleigh from the get-go? confused

alternaut moderator
grelber #8593 02/26/10 02:58 AM

Ancillary (and perhaps more pertinent) query:
The term "bobsled" was used for the Winter Olympics event until recently, perhaps not earlier than 2002. Why the change to "bobsleigh"? Even The World Almanac (a New York Times publication) refers to the event as "bobsledding".

Just a gut reaction (no real knowledge), sleighing sounds more like a holiday "activity" [as in a leisurely form of transportation], whereas sledding sounds more like a winter sport. [Although... sleighing also sounds like slaying, which might be more of a blood-sport... but therefore perhaps not very sportsmanlike.]

If that makes any sense it was unintentional luck. wink

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 02/26/10 03:06 AM.
Hal Itosis #8594 02/26/10 03:50 AM

Quote:
...unintentional luck.

Is there any other kind?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #8596 02/26/10 05:19 AM

I might have been *trying* to make sense.

[actually, i got a headache trying to dissect those two words... but perhaps in some parallel "quantum" universe. wink ]

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard