Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: iPad
Hal Itosis #8361 02/12/10 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Originally Posted By: artie505
And I'm questioning the importance of not only the Security Update aspect of your post, but of your premise in general.

My
premise? I think that the merits of keeping our software up-to-date (especially where many security-specific fixes are part of the package) is a fairly universal premise. You are of course free to disagree... but, it's not only "me" with whom you'll find this particular disagreement. (Indeed your viewpoint is most certainly the minority).

So, i'll continue to encourage users to stay up to date, and leave you to set the counter example (extolling the virtues of running less secure systems). My objective was merely to serve notice, and that much seems to have been achieved.

Your points are generally well taken despite my choosing to ignore them. (My bottom line remains actual, as opposed to perceived, risk.)

As for "(Indeed your viewpoint is most certainly the minority)", though, I couldn't find any stats on what percentage of Mac users is running which OS, so I wonder how telling the number of posts in FTM's Mac OS X 10.0 - 10.5.x Forum is? (Certainly not all of the posters to that forum are running OS X 10.5.8.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
tacit #8362 02/12/10 12:06 PM

Fascinating, tacit, as is your Intuit article; many thanks for making all of us more aware of the dangers lurking on the Internet! smile (I'll mention, though, that I've used TurboTax on-line for a number of years [although I've never visited any of Intuit's related websites] with no repercussions.)

Just to be certain, though, which, if any, of your three "how-they-do-its" is vulnerable to an Apple Security Update?

Last edited by artie505; 02/12/10 01:35 PM. Reason: Rephrased question

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Hal Itosis #8369 02/13/10 01:37 PM

Quote:
What will really determine its value are whatever "apps" people develop to make it do stuff.

See The iPad's secret sauce: it's the software, stupid. But note that this perspective still regards the iPad as a device solely for content consumption. There seems to be what I'll call a "geek rapprochement" of sorts going on: we first dismissed the device because it can't do anything a power user would want to do; now we acknowledge that most folks don't want to do such things but would rather just play games, read books, and listen to tunes. (The iPad as appropriately dumb device for a dumb audience.)

Missing, generally, is any mention of the possible development of whole new classes of "power users," those for whom a clipboard-style deployment of a large-screen multitouch device allows software to enter realms which have previously been limited to mechanical devices. And, as the iPhone has clearly established, if there's a useful application to be built, someone will build it.

(It would be fun to see someone develop a programmer-friendly text editor for the iPad, too, just as a way of saying, "see?")

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #8370 02/13/10 03:20 PM

Omni Group:
  1. iPad or Bust! -- Jan. 29
  2. iPad or Bust: 2 weeks later -- Feb. 11
__

Edit: seems it's about the GUI moving from 'point-and-click' to 'touch-and-pinch'...

Ars Technica: So what's the obsession? What if the iPad doesn't even succeed? Case isn't worried about it.

Originally Posted By: Ken Case
“Whether or not the iPad succeeds, multitouch is the future,” he said. He believes the iPad will be big—"this is the computer my dad should have had"—but says that if consumers don't pick up on it, all this effort put into iPad-specific apps won't be a waste.

“In five to ten years, there will be really big multitouch screens, like on an iMac or something, and we'll be touching and moving things around instead of clicking and dragging,”
Case said. “This effort is an investment in the future. It's forcing us to look at our applications—for the iPad and the Mac—in a completely different way and improve upon it as user interaction changes.”

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 02/13/10 04:03 PM.
dkmarsh #8377 02/14/10 04:33 PM

Epocrates: One in Five Physicians Likely To Purchase an iPad

[Epocrates for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store]

Of course, they (Epocrates) are probably somewhat biased... but i don't doubt their veracity in this case. [Plus... doctors can easily afford it. wink ]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 02/14/10 04:42 PM.
dkmarsh #8398 02/15/10 07:06 PM

Hal Itosis #8422 02/17/10 12:08 AM

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 02/17/10 12:13 AM.
Hal Itosis #8449 02/18/10 05:58 AM

interesting (spot-on) blog: How to compete with iPad

Hal Itosis #8454 02/18/10 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
interesting (spot-on) blog: How to compete with iPad

Mostly spot-on, anyhow. Matt's still guilty, I think, of thinking in primitive divisions: geeks who "get it," geeks who don't get it, and the vast legion of non-technical folks for whom the hiding of the under-the-hood stuff is a game-changer. (Among these geeks who "get it," every non-geek, apparently, is a grandmother who just wants to get the emailed photos of the grandkids.)

Personally, I think a lot of my friends and colleagues are neither geeks nor technophobes; they do understand enough to feel reasonably comfortable with desktop or laptop computers, and if they'd like an iPad, that has as much to do with its ability to address a different set of needs as with its "layer of abstraction" interface.

Still, the post is not only perceptive and articulate, it also offers that rarest of all internet experiences: a lengthy comment thread, composed almost entirely of equally perceptive and articulate viewpoints, which stays on topic throughout. (I didn't test for moderation by attempting a comment of my own, preferring to believe that communities of non-inflammatory discussers do occur in the wild, on occasion.)

dkmarsh #8463 02/18/10 06:11 PM

Well said.

--

I find that recent Nuance (Dragon NaturallySpeaking) acquisition interesting (and hopefully promising). Speech recognition is something that's been around for eons, but never quite became a staple in userland. (i remember toying with it in System 8.5 i think). But, if we ever reach a point where the darn thing actually works and comes at a reasonable price... that will make a powerful accompaniment to the touchy-feely interface. I also think Jobs will leave any _stylus_ input up to 3rd-parties as well.

It's going to be fascinating to watch the iPad grow.

Hal Itosis #8525 02/21/10 10:27 PM

Hal Itosis #8535 02/22/10 01:35 PM

An Adobe Flash developer on why the iPad can’t use Flash.

Hard to believe this point hasn't been given more prominent attention.

artie505 #8559 02/23/10 01:47 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted By: artie505
Just to be certain, though, which, if any, of your three "how-they-do-its" is vulnerable to an Apple Security Update?

I moved the reiteration of your question to tacit and the responses to it over to THE CYBER-SECURITY THREAD to avoid continuing the off-topic tangent here.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #8570 02/24/10 09:22 AM

Thanks, cyn. smile

dkmarsh #8599 02/26/10 06:46 AM

Interesting article by a different kind of developer: (source: i discovered that link in a post at MacInTouch)

Hal Itosis #8600 02/26/10 09:58 AM

some more about iPad and its comparison with competition:
http://gizmodo.com/5459308/slate-showdow...s--more-updated

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
Hal Itosis #8786 03/12/10 12:12 PM

Best sign of the potential ascendancy of the iPad? It's already got its own AAPLinvestors iPad Death Watch page ("Expect to hear a lot of: ‘I spent a cold night in line for this?’”—Scott Moritz, TheStreet.com, 9 March 2010)...

...and it's not even available to be ordered yet. (As of the time of this post, "We are busy updating the store for you and will be back shortly.")

dkmarsh #8932 03/19/10 08:03 AM

<yawn> Oops, i mean... i guess we're all still on the edge of our seats here, right? wink

• New Survey Shows Huge Wave of Apple iPad Demand Striking Amazon

dkmarsh #9075 03/29/10 12:35 PM

smile
AppAdvice reports that OmniGraffle is already approved for the iPad App Store grand opening, and will be available April 3rd. Are you still sitting down? Price: $49.99. [well there's a bit of reality i guess.]

And here's another gallery of apps at some site called "BoyGeniusReport".

I confess that i have NOT pre-ordered... but no doubt i will pick up one of these puppies (sometime) in April to play around with. BTW, Macworld recently reviewed the iPhone version of Star Walk which i mentioned back on page 1 of this thread... and it's still listed at under 3 bucks (but i wonder if the iPad version will be that low).

+++

MacInTouch has a healthy looking "iPad FAQ" page.

+++

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/ [Flash not required. wink ]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 03/30/10 03:40 AM.

"Regardless of how Apple corporate wants to portray its products,
 the Mac isn't a machine for the masses any more than red wine is
 the preferred beverage at baseball games.
 :
 So who cares about ubiquity anyway?"
--D. Story
Hal Itosis #9118 04/01/10 08:08 AM

Reviews starting to trickle out...

Andy Ihnatko
  • Quote:
    Well, I’m here to tell you that in fact, we haven’t seen tablets before. And maybe the iPad is the only true tablet we’ll get in 2010. The hardware we’ve seen in years past, (and what we’re likely to see in these Android devices) are laptop computers with the keyboard section broken off. They’re not fundamentally touch-based computers, they’re the products of old thinking.

• Quote:
    Second most compelling: in situation after situation, I find that the iPad is the best computer in my household and office menagerie. It’s not a replacement for my notebook, mind you. It feels more as if the iPad is filling a gap that’s existed for quite some time.

Walter Mossberg
  • Quote:
    I believe this beautiful new touch-screen device from Apple has the potential to change portable computing profoundly, and to challenge the primacy of the laptop.

• Quote:
    For my battery test, I played movies, TV shows and other videos back-to-back until the iPad died. This stressed the device’s most power-hogging feature, its screen. The iPad lasted 11 hours and 28 minutes, about 15% more than Apple claimed.

Hal Itosis #9120 04/01/10 10:25 AM

David Pogue
  • Quote:
    The iPad is so fast and light, the multitouch screen so bright and responsive, the software so easy to navigate, that it really does qualify as a new category of gadget. Some have suggested that it might make a good goof-proof computer for technophobes, the aged and the young; they’re absolutely right.

And the techies are right about another thing: the iPad is not a laptop. It’s not nearly as good for creating stuff. On the other hand, it’s infinitely more convenient for consuming it — books, music, video, photos, Web, e-mail and so on. For most people, manipulating these digital materials directly by touching them is a completely new experience — and a deeply satisfying one.

dkmarsh #9123 04/01/10 11:55 AM

The iPad is f***ing worthless until it can take the place of an Xserve.

Happy April 1!

---

The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth. - Niels Bohr
crarko #9150 04/02/10 05:28 PM

In the spirit of "My child just beat up your honor student", I bring you

My iPad just DDOS'd your xserve

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #9192 04/04/10 03:32 PM

The requisite iFixIt article: iPad teardown

--

A few free apps you'll like:
  • Cool wallpapers for iPad
  • Shazam
  • NPR
  • USA Today
  • BBC News
  • AccuWeather
  • WunderMap

[posted from my iPad!]

Edit 2: oh, and the new (iPad-sized) version of Star Walk is simply breathtaking... for all of $5.

Edit 3: and who didn't see <this> coming? cool [reportedly, Steve Wozniak is on the company's BOD.]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/04/10 04:07 PM.
Hal Itosis #9240 04/06/10 02:35 AM

This is a test of the dragon dictation software
I must admit it is pretty darn cool
[and amazingly accurate]

I should have said: "This is a test of the FREE dragon dictation software" !!!

Anyway, Dictation has earned a place on my dock at the bottom of the screen... amidst Settings, Safari, Calendar and iPod.

So how are you guys enjoying your iPad?

[that time I said "question mark" at the end, and it typed the "?" cool

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/06/10 02:38 AM.

"Regardless of how Apple corporate wants to portray its products,
 the Mac isn't a machine for the masses any more than red wine is
 the preferred beverage at baseball games.
 :
 So who cares about ubiquity anyway?"
--D. Story
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard