for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
didja know, safari tabs
#8346 02/11/10 09:56 PM
OP Offline

can be dragged? yes, side to side to reorder, most of us have figured that out.

But did you know, you can drag tabs between different windows? AND you can drag windows INTO the tab bar to turn them into a new tab? Or OUT to turn a tab into a separate window?

OK maybe you knew that, but I sure didn't... nifty. And for windows that open up as special popups with no menubar and other annoyances, select back to your main browser window and select "Window, Merge All Windows" is anther way to turn it into a tab.

Last edited by dianne; 02/12/10 12:04 AM. Reason: moved from "iTunes, iPhone, iPod, Apple TV" to the "Networking" forum.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: didja know, safari tabs
Virtual1 #8350 02/11/10 11:54 PM

it's good stuff! yet I know people who still haven't adopted tabs.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
Virtual1 #8351 02/11/10 11:57 PM

I guess you're already aware that you can drag links into the tab bar to open them in new tabs. But did you know that you can select non-clickable URLs and drag them to the tab bar to open them as well?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
roger #8353 02/12/10 12:05 AM

I adopted tabs long ago, but I still haven't adopted remembering that I adopted them. grin

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
dkmarsh #8354 02/12/10 12:32 AM

> I guess you're already aware that you can drag links into the tab bar to open them in new tabs.

Why not just use Safari's command-click functionality (within Safari, anyhow)?

> But did you know that you can select non-clickable URLs and drag them to the tab bar to open them as well?

A neat feature of ICeCoffEE (which is broken in Snow Leopard) is that it enables you to command-click on and open non-clickable URLs in many apps. (No tab functionality, though.)

Last edited by artie505; 02/12/10 12:34 AM. Reason: (within...)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #8355 02/12/10 12:56 AM

Quote:
Why not just use Safari's command-click functionality (within Safari, anyhow)?

Well, that's what I do, but by way of my mouse's scroll wheel, a click on which is programmed to function as a command-click. My point wasn't to recommend anything, but simply to point out that the functionality is there.

dkmarsh #8368 02/13/10 05:28 AM

How about, did ya know....

...that pressing command-return after typing a url or a Google search will open the result in a new tab.

...that holding the command key while clicking a bookmark will open it in a new tab and holding shift-command and clicking will open a new tab but not select it.

...that holding command-option will open the link in a new window and shift-command-option will open the window behind the current window.

...that option-clicking will force download the file/page clicked or that you can copy a link from anywhere and paste it directly into the Downloads window to download a file.

...that clicking links in the Activity window works in much the same way as web page links. Command click opens the file in a new tab and option-clicking downloads the file.

...that double-clicking in the empty tab area creates a new empty tab.

...that right-clicking a tab reveals it's own contextual menu with options like Close Other Tabs, and Reload All Tabs.

...that you can hover over text on the screen and press Control-Command-d to bring up a floating definition of that word. Hold the keys down and move the mouse to have it constantly update with the definition of the word currently under the mouse.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Kevin M. Dean #8380 02/14/10 09:12 PM

I knew the Dictionary tip!!

I'll need to print the rest! thanks!!

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
Kevin M. Dean #8390 02/15/10 02:23 AM

With so many options, I find it difficult to keep tabs on them. :groan:

Kevin M. Dean #8401 02/16/10 01:11 AM
OP Offline

WOW. Wasn't expecting so many good related tips to come flooding in, excellent!

...that you can hover over text on the screen and press Control-Command-d to bring up a floating definition of that word. Hold the keys down and move the mouse to have it constantly update with the definition of the word currently under the mouse

I am unable to reproduce that. But everything else "in the above" is nice to know.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #8409 02/16/10 04:41 AM

Dictionary should work. This is in Safari just to make sure that's where you are. It can take a few seconds to appear the first time it's triggered.

It should look like:
[img]http://development.rhubarbproductions.com/images/definition.png[/img]

How come the IMG tag doesn't work right?

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Kevin M. Dean #8410 02/16/10 07:41 AM

Actually, Control-Command-D should produce the behavior you describe in (almost) all Cocoa applications, as long as it's really text that's being hovered over (i.e. the cursor changes to the "I-beam" cursor). (Another way to define "really text" is "text which can be copied.")

It works for me in Address Book, Mail, iChat, Colloquy, Camino, TextEdit, and Terminal in addition to Safari, just to note apps I've currently got open. However, if the Look up in Dictionary checkbox in the Keyboard Shortcuts prefpane in System Preferences is unchecked, the functionality will be disabled; perhaps that's what Virtual1 did.

Image tags at FTM are not enabled; a quirk in UBB.threads makes it problematic to remove the apparent functionality from view. (This is, BTW, exactly the same as at MFIF, going back at least eight years.)

dkmarsh #8413 02/16/10 02:48 PM

I was aware of the other Cocoa app compatibilities with the function, but rather that leave it open to a variety of apps, I was just making sure Safari was being used for the testing. Perhaps it is the Keyboard shortcut setting you mentioned.

Any reason why the Image tags are disabled? I presume that it was possibly a server load decision, but how much load could they add on the server if they're all externally hosted images. I can understand not allowing image uploads. frankly the current Avatar loading probably would put more load on the server.

A site like this would really benefit from people being able to embed screenshots of their issue and with the distinct lack of imagery in the design of the site, it could use anything to liven it up.

Kevin M. Dean #8419 02/16/10 10:53 PM

Safari tabs:
Code:
ctrl-tab	select next tab
⌘-⇧-]		select next tab 
⌘-⇧-[		select previous tab

Note: the last two work in Terminal as well.

Hal Itosis #8425 02/17/10 12:43 AM

ctrl-tab-⇧⌘-⇧-]select next tab
ctrl-⇧-tab⌘-⇧-]select previous tab
⌘-⇧-]ctrl-⇧-tabselect next tab
⌘-⇧-[ctrl-⇧-tabselect previous tab

(For ubbthreads-dark users:

ctrl-tab-⇧⌘-⇧-]select next tab
ctrl-⇧-tab⌘-⇧-]select previous tab
⌘-⇧-]ctrl-⇧-tabselect next tab
⌘-⇧-[ctrl-⇧-tabselect previous tab
)

Last edited by dkmarsh; 02/17/10 12:18 PM. Reason: added version for ubbthreads-dark users

dkmarsh #8427 02/17/10 02:46 AM

> ctrl-⇧-tab

Oh sugar mad ... how'd i miss that (obvious) alternative? blush

--

BTW, you might want to pop into the ubbthreads-dark theme and view your post there. [i couldn't figure out what you were on about at first. wink ]

Hal Itosis #8441 02/17/10 08:09 PM

One of my favorite Safari tab-related shortcuts: command-clicking the toolbar's Home icon opens your home page in a new tab. Likewise, command-clicking the back or forward arrows, when enabled, opens the previous or subsequent page in a new tab.

dkmarsh #8442 02/17/10 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Likewise, command-clicking the back or forward arrows, when enabled, opens the previous or subsequent page in a new tab.

The arrows too? Nice one. [items on the Bookmarks Bar (as well as any link-related menu) behave similarly, when the command key is held.] Hoy... that even extends to the drop down menus off the arrow buttons!!! Cool. (i got your snapback right here).

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 02/17/10 11:49 PM.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard