for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New HD died--thinking of SSD as replacement
tacit #8349 02/11/10 11:28 PM

Fascinating, and even more fascinating after thinking about it for a bit.

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Hal Itosis #8363 02/12/10 05:14 PM

In this context the following announcement may be of interest: DriveSavers' iPhone app to simulate SSD failures.

UPDATE: AFAICT, the SSD update only adds a simple animation with a single popup text box. Not all that useful beyond suggesting things can go poof with SSDs too...

Last edited by alternaut; 02/13/10 06:03 PM. Reason: Added impression of updated app after use.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #8405 02/16/10 01:20 AM

I downloaded that and was NOT impressed. Most of them sounded the same, and it contained a very small portion of all the sounds I've heard. And it's really gimmicky to tell you the exact model of drive and what's wrong with it. Do we really care if it's a head crash or a bad spindle motor? Either way it don't work and we can't do anything about it short of mail it to them.

fwiw, my collection has been slightly updated, and features not only bad hard drives, but good ones too, so you can compare. I tried to weed out the ones that were too similar sounding. Some of them are doing some really wild things. (some failures are a LOT more common than others, hence trying to dedup)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #8406 02/16/10 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I downloaded that and was NOT impressed. Most of them sounded the same, and it contained a very small portion of all the sounds I've heard.

I have to agree on both counts. That said, do you think the app is even halfway useful to the 'naive' user confronted with a noisy and malfunctioning HD? This type of user isn't likely to have immediate access to your collection of drive noises, and probably doesn't even know something like it exists.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #8420 02/16/10 11:08 PM

it's of no practical value. it's an advertisement is all. I was amazed to not even hear the enormously common identical taktaktak taktaktak taktaktak of the bazillion of seagate laptop drive deaths as of recently. That alone probably accounts for 1/4 of all recent failures I've ran into.

I had almost 30 of them available for sample.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard