FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
White vertical Stripe on 1.8 MHz PPC iMac
#8199 02/05/10 10:03 PM
rickc Offline OP
OP Offline

Someone gave me a PPC iMac 1.8 GHZ that runs fine except it has a vertical white stripe running almost down the center of the screen. I suspect it is NOT the screen itself as the screen seems to respond to slight finger pressure and I can see some change under pressure in the white stripe.

I am wondering if it might just be the video cable. I have seen some reports indicating it is the logic board.

Any thoughts?
Rick

Re: White vertical Stripe on 1.8 MHz PPC iMac
rickc #8201 02/06/10 01:11 AM

> Any thoughts?

1. Try swapping out your video cable.

2. Did your benefactor give you the Apple Hardware Test disc that shipped with the iMac?

If so, since a video issue is certainly a possibility (if not likelihood), run the "Extended Test" in loop-mode (control-L) for at least 5 loops.

If not, tacit, who has refused a "gift" machine that did not come with its discs as being a non-gift, will probably post a rant (not that his aforementioned sentiment doesn't count as one).

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: White vertical Stripe on 1.8 MHz PPC iMac
rickc #8239 02/07/10 04:59 AM

it's the LCD screen. Row and column problems are always the panel.

Often the vertical stripes are about 1" wide or some multiple thereof because that's how big a scan group is. Horizontal issues that are not single lines usually take out the top or bottom 1/3 or 2/3 of the screen, not sure why

Any single row or column of pixels being a problem is just that row or column in the scan out in the panel. There's a semiconductive adhesive used to bond the matrix to the glass, and the tape is covered usually with big bold "DO NOT TOUCH" on it. They're sincere. You usually make matters worse by trying to fix those issues.

Bright side: that means its not a problem with the video chip or vram, so you can attach an external display and it should look fine.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard