for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Windows 7 PC and Mac network sharing
#8181 02/04/10 11:10 PM
OP Offline

I am trying to get my windows 7 pc to see the printer and share files on my Intel Mac running Snow Leopard. Both computers are connected to my router via ethernet cable. Any suggestions or threads I can check out to get some help?
Thanks.

Re: Windows 7 PC and Mac network sharing
pwickens #8186 02/05/10 01:21 AM

Do you mean the files and printer are on the Mac and you want to connect to them from the PC, or the other way around?

If you're sharing files and such on the Mac, you will need to make sure that Windows file sharing and printer sharing are turned on on the Mac.I haven't used Snow Leopard, but in Leopard when you turn on file sharing, there is an Options button, and you must click it and check the option to share files using SMB; SMB is Windows sharing, and Windows can't "see" the Mac unless SMB sharing is on.

The Mac and Windows computer must also both be set to the same workgroup. See what your workgroup setting is on the Windows computer. Then, on the Mac, click System Preferences, click Network, click Advanced, click the WINS tab, and make sure the Mac is set to the same workgroup.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
pwickens #8238 02/07/10 04:53 AM

You can either share from the pc to the mac or from the mac to the PC. Mac sharing usually is easier to set up and maintain. It's also possible to do mac sharing between the two but it's a headache and requires special software on the pc.

As a last resort if you're having problems getting one to see the other, (if the other doesn't show up in browse) you can connect by ip address.

Windows Server 2003 has its own special monkey wrench "packet signing" turned on by default, if you're dealing with that you must disable that feature or it won't let you save.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
tacit #8298 02/09/10 06:23 PM
OP Offline

My files and printer are on the Mac and I am trying to join the network via the PC. Thanks for the tips.I will try them this evening and reply. The "Workgroup" thing has me a little confused, but i will also give that a try.

Thanks, again.

Virtual1 #8299 02/09/10 06:26 PM
OP Offline

I am not familiar with packet sharing but will search and try figuring that lead out.
Thanks.

pwickens #8301 02/09/10 08:14 PM

you only have to worry about packet signing if dealing with a Windows 2003 Server, usually.

"workgroup" is a concept started early with windows. It allows you to have many computers on your local network but only a small set of them show up when you browse for network connections. Only machines in the same name of workgroup will appear in your list. The name of the default workgroup is "WORKGROUP", but it's common especially in business to see the name of the workgroup be something to do with the company. In windows you change this setting in the computer name properties. The location to set this on a mac varies depending on the version of Mac OS X you are using.

This is useful for example if you want the engineering, accounting, administrative, and customer relations people to all have easy access to the other users' computers and servers in their division but not be bothered to see other machines they don't need to access. You establish four different workgroup names, and then you will only "see" the computers in your workgroup when you browse for connections. Workgrouping isn't security, it's just a limit placed on what you see and can easily access.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard