iPad
#7964 01/27/10 07:57 PM
mneptok Offline OP
OP Offline

Last edited by mneptok; 01/27/10 09:01 PM. Reason: URL update
Re: iPad
mneptok #7965 01/27/10 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: mneptok

I see this: This video has been removed due to terms of use violation.

And then i get a movie preview of "From Paris With Love".
[or did i miss something? -- there are a lot of vids and links there.]

--

Anyway, the name iPad kinda stinks methinks. One comment i read stuck with me:
“it sounds like woman’s sanitary napkin.”

[another poster said it sounds like some sort of Thai food.]

But the main point seems to be summarized in a 3rd comment:
“it has "classroom" written all over it.”

--

I was hoping for a "one more thing" moment announcing the updated MacBook Pros (with Intel's latest Arrandale processors), but... i guess those are still a few days/weeks away. [rassin.frassin.grumble.mumble]

OKAY OKAY -- (your) LINK WORKING NOW. grin

EDIT: Same thing, slightly better video quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK2drIylnDw
[i'm sure cyn and dianne must think we're all pigs here.]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01/27/10 09:33 PM.
Hal Itosis #7966 01/27/10 10:54 PM

Alas, I am bereft. No iPod, no iPhone. So how does one print from an iPad and the like?

To get a file off an iPad and on to a real computer, must the file be emailed?

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #7972 01/28/10 06:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
Alas, I am bereft. No iPod, no iPhone. So how does one print from an iPad and the like? To get a file off an iPad and on to a real computer, must the file be emailed?

Got Wi-Fi network? (i.e., AirPort base station and/or Time Capsule)

--

And, to balance out the first 2 posts...
<Memo to Geek Dudes>: The Inevitable Maxi Pad Jokes About the iPad Are Lame (and Steve Jobs Doesn’t Care Anyway)

"Regardless of how Apple corporate wants to portray its products,
 the Mac isn't a machine for the masses any more than red wine is
 the preferred beverage at baseball games.
 :
 So who cares about ubiquity anyway?"
--D. Story
Pendragon #7975 01/28/10 08:58 AM

I guess, it connects to the computer via USB (in the specs).

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
Hal Itosis #7977 01/28/10 10:21 AM

From The New York Times (online):
The iPad’s Name Makes Some Women Cringe

That must be wonderful; I have no idea what it means.
— Molière
macnerd10 #7980 01/28/10 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: macnerd10
I guess, it connects to the computer via USB (in the specs).

If you want to fiddle with wires (or don't have any routable Wi-Fi devices on your LAN), then yes... for an extra $30 an optional adapter/cable can be purchased to provide a USB connector. [at least that's what i've read elsewhere.] If that's true, probably someone like Belkin might come out with a dock that adds a USB connection (idunno). <-- EDIT: okay, that was wrong (and i blame the lame commenters at ars-technica for misleading me). Much like the iPhone and the iPod touch, the iPad comes with one of those thin little cables that connect to the bottom of the device (30-pin connector) and has a USB plug on the other end. I'm wondering now if it even provides the type of Wi-Fi file transfer ability i originally thought. Hmm, time will tell.

EDIT: Okay, according to MacRumors (who have studied the software developer kit):
Quote:
- File Sharing. A shared file directory is provided that will mount on your Mac or PC. This is presumably how files such as iWork documents will be transferred to and from the iPad. iPad applications will be able to access this shared directory.
So... it's not as if we can browse back and forth (like filesharing between 2 Macs), there's just a solitary shared folder for transfers. Period.

EDIT: no need for Belkin... looks like Apple's accessories have the dock/USB components (again, options at an extra cost):
Originally Posted By: Apple.com
iPad Keyboard Dock
The Keyboard Dock combines a dock for charging your iPad with a full-size keyboard. The dock has a rear 30-pin connector, which lets you connect to an electrical outlet using the USB Power Adapter, sync to your computer, and use accessories like the Camera Connection Kit. An audio jack lets you connect to a stereo or powered speakers.

iPad Dock
The iPad Dock lets you dock and charge iPad. The rear 30-pin connector lets you connect the iPad Dock to an electrical outlet using the USB Power Adapter, sync to your computer, and use accessories like the Camera Connection Kit. An audio jack lets you connect to a stereo or powered speakers.
Not sure what those two cost, but i'd guess around $100 and $50.

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
But the main point seems to be summarized in a 3rd comment:
“it has "classroom" written all over it.”

After a second read, the actual phrase was "it screams school (any level)."

Check this out: Inkling   (learn more).

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01/28/10 07:32 PM.
grelber #7981 01/28/10 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
From The New York Times (online):
The iPad’s Name Makes Some Women Cringe

Just wondering: were you able to view any of those YouTube links (in post #1 or 2) with your OS9 + Mozilla browser?

--

Although my reaction to the name "iPad" was also initially negative (for different reasons), i can sorta see now where simple is better... especially for non-English users, who might mangle something like iSlate [ee-slah-tay] or iTablet [ee-tah-blay].

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01/28/10 01:42 PM.
Hal Itosis #7983 01/28/10 03:17 PM

RE Just wondering: were you able to view any of those YouTube links (in post #1 or 2) with your OS9 + Mozilla browser?

Only once in a while do I bother to access YouTube stuff. My attitude towards it is pretty much the same as Facebook, namely, life is too short to waste on it.

So, no, I didn't bother; but I can access YouTube, albeit with dial-up access it's generally a pain. If I really want to see something, I usually wait until I have access to broadband elsewhere.

grelber #7985 01/28/10 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
So, no, I didn't bother; but I can access YouTube, albeit with dial-up access it's generally a pain. If I really want to see something, I usually wait until I have access to broadband elsewhere.

Okay, then you may not know that: the name "iPad" (and the whole tampon twist thereof) originated in a sketch from Mad TV back in 2006:

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/06/16/mad-tv-apples-ipad/

[even i didn't realize that until i managed to follow the YouTube link in post 1.] And... since that info isn't included in the New York Times article you referenced, i figured if you haven't viewed the vid then you may not yet be aware of the full story.

--

My main question concerns the ergonomics of two-handed typing on the iPad *itself* (i.e., no accessory kybd.), what with the screen and keyboard "surface" being in the same plane. Seems like we'd need to be in a recliner (or couch plus footrest) with our knees bent to act as a backrest. EDIT: although, the optional iPad case might facilitate that some. [Also crucial is how large can we zoom the text, when typing an email for example. If we need to crouch and squint to see tiny text that would suck.]

Seems its forte is content consumption... and not so much content creation. [though, with the accessory keyboard dock and while seated at a desk it might be just fine.] I think i may like one (or maybe get one for my folks).

There are certainly plenty of love/hate reactions out there: http://gizmodo.com/

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01/28/10 06:19 PM.
Hal Itosis #7987 01/28/10 05:56 PM

I'll check it out.

I used to get Mad TV up here in the Great White North, but I was never enthralled by it, because the humor/sketches seemed really forced.

And I'm a child of Mad (the magazine, before it became essentially a graphic 'novel'), as well as all the other E.C. mags (which were ultimately banned in the USA, ca 1954).

I still have (literally at hand) my membership certificate in The National E.C. Fan-Addict Club which reads:
"in solemn recognition of his/her/its stubborn, hopeless, and pitiful addiction to E.C. magazines, does hereby grudgingly bestow on [me] a Life Membership, together with such rights, privileges, and benefits (be they what they may) which ordinarily accompany such membership (be that what it may)."
Signed "Melvin", President, National E.C. Fan Addict Club, Room 706, 225 Lafayette Street, New York 12, New York.

I sold all my E.C. mags 20 years later and bought a Volvo 142E with the proceeds. (Had I waited another 20 years or so, that first issue of Mad magazine would have worth over $10,000. Hoo hah! [The latter also a reference to the first story in that first issue.])
(Too much information, I know, but how's that grab you?)

That must be wonderful; I have no idea what it means.
— Molière
Hal Itosis #7990 01/28/10 07:17 PM

I don't get it. Why is this a "must buy"? On the front page of The Telegraph today, under a pic of Steve Jobs, it says it is "a cross between the iPhone and the MacBook laptop."

I have neither, so why would I want this? WHO are the target buyers? People who buy things just because they're new? confused WHY would anyone want to lug this around to read BOOKS? Er......go and get the book, it will weigh less and won't run out of battery power either. confused

I must be very old-fashioned. I have desktops at work and a mobile phone which I hardly ever use: it has not been switched on for a month now.

Other people live on different planets, it seems. The last "must buy" in my household was a replacement washing machine. The last "must buy" in the office was sourcing better address labels/sheets.

Regarding different planets, I am amazed to read that someone here is still on dial-up.

Bensheim #7991 01/28/10 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
I don't get it. Why is this a "must buy"? On the front page of The Telegraph today, under a pic of Steve Jobs, it says it is "a cross between the iPhone and the MacBook laptop."

I have neither, so why would I want this? WHO are the target buyers? People who buy things just because they're new? confused WHY would anyone want to lug this around to read BOOKS? Er......go and get the book, it will weigh less and won't run out of battery power either. confused

I must be very old-fashioned. I have desktops at work and a mobile phone which I hardly ever use: it has not been switched on for a month now.

Other people live on different planets, it seems. The last "must buy" in my household was a replacement washing machine. The last "must buy" in the office was sourcing better address labels/sheets.

Relax, it probably wasn't designed with you in mind. I bet it would be fun to get one... but it's not like anyone is forcing anyone. However...
Originally Posted By: Bensheim
>> go and get the book.

Go ahead. Don't download a book in 5 minutes while relaxing. Go ahead. Drive down to the mall, find a parking space. Walk around. Wait in line at the cashier. Pay $30 (or more) for a hardcover. Walk back to the car. Spend an hour (or more) just *getting* the book. Go ahead. No one's stopping you.
smirk
BTW, can you check your email while reading that book you just bought (sitting in the coffee shop)? Or google some info about the author? Should everyone be "old-fashioned"? No? So what's with all the questions then? I don't get it.
tongue
More? Can you search in that "book" you bought for every occurrence of the word "nostalgic"? How easy is that then?

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01/28/10 07:54 PM.
Hal Itosis #8008 01/29/10 06:10 AM
mneptok Offline OP
OP Offline

Or, order it from Amazon and don't leave your chair.

And if you want to read the book you ordered with an incandescent light bulb, fine. Compact fluorescent? Fine. Candlelight? Fine.

Want to lend that book to a friend? Go right ahead.

What if, in six months, the publishing house changes the type of paper they use? Not a problem. Your book still works fine.

If you buy books on the iPad, they will only ever work an Apple-authorized devices. Apple is using their own DRM schema for the ePub open standard. Want to read that book you bought on a Kindle or a Nook? Tough luck, sucker. Can you lend books? I imagine not. What if Apple decides to close down their authentication server in a few years? Your book is unreadable and valueless. I have many books that are over 50 years old. Apple will NOT be running their same eBook authentication server and schema in 50 years.

The iPad does not do Flash. There goes 70% of all web video content, and 90% of all web games.

The iPad does not multitask. Say you're having a conversation over IM with someone and they send you a URL. "Hold on, I have to quit my instant messenger so I can use my web browser." A few minutes later, "Oh, that's a link to a Hulu TV show. I can't see Flash content."

The iPad is nothing more than a DRM-laden vending machine. As you may be able to tell, I'm unimpressed. The FSF is 100% right about DRM. I don't want some company telling me how and where I can use content I paid for.

Jobs describes the iPad as something between a cell phone and a laptop. Since it does not have a phone (or a camera) that means I'll still be carrying my cell phone everywhere.

Where will you use this device where you would NOT be carrying your laptop? A quick viewing of "Avatar" between the produce and cereal aisles at the grocery store?

I guarantee you, the more Apple gains market share, the more they will behave in the same anti-competitive and monopolistic way as Microsoft. The iPad and its associated lock-in and vendor control is a glimpse of that future.

mneptok #8011 01/29/10 08:56 AM

While i agree that 100% of what you said is indeed factual, you might as well concede that over 50% of "people" ranging from geeks to technophobes (and -- by definition -- 100% of the target demographic) simply don't care. To them, none of what you said matters. Personally, i don't know what Hulu is, but -- if it's something that i discover to be worthwhile -- i'll always have a MacBook Pro (or some sort of 'real' computer) with which to access whatever it offers. I'm no fan of Flash... and it appears to be dying anyway.

I agree: the iPad is -- for the most part -- nothing more than a glorified iPod. [i'm thrilled with my iPod btw.] But the touch-and-lick-ability of the iPad will prove (i predict) to be irresistible to just plain folk: health club managers, real estate agents, plumbers, grandparents, kids, etc., etc., as a sort of "appliance". Not a real computer that does everything, but a simple device that does a few useful things... and looks gorgeous while doing it.

--

Back on the book business... i recall college (two in fact), lugging around my backpack with at least 10 to 15 pounds of textbooks. (Everyone remembers that... even in highschool). I can see that -- in the future -- those backpacks will get a lot smaller, as everyone will eventually be purchasing those bulky textbooks in electronic form. Perhaps the iPad is not quite ready for prime time... but, it's a good start.

--

>>The iPad does not multitask.

I think the current speculation is that: when the new iPhone gets released this summer, there will be an accompanying version 4.0 software update... and the iPad (as well as certain 3g iPod/iPhones ???) will be able to do some form of multitasking with that newer OS.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01/29/10 09:27 AM.
Hal Itosis #8017 01/29/10 10:19 AM

> [...] in the future -- those backpacks will get a lot smaller [....]

The backpacks I see in the NYC subways at school closing time are already miniscule; maybe all the kids have lockers these days, but how do they do homework without textbooks...pre-prints? (Jon?)

> i recall college (two in fact), lugging around my backpack with at least 10 to 15 pounds of textbooks. (Everyone remembers that... even in highschool).

You're younger than I am; backpacks had nowhere near entered into the picture when I was in high school, and I clearly remember my joy when rubber book straps (That's exactly what I said!) were introduced, 'round about when I was a junior or senior, and I no longer had to carry that huge pile of loose books under my arm.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
mneptok #8019 01/29/10 12:16 PM

Quote:
The iPad does not do Flash. There goes 70% of all web video content, and 90% of all web games.

Personally, I can't wait to see Flash fade from the internet. It's a buggy, intrusive, CPU-hogging piece of crap, IMO, but beyond that, I don't want 70% of the video content I watch and 90% of the web games I play to depend on one company's proprietary plug-in.

That would be so...Apple-like. wink

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #8020 01/29/10 12:31 PM

Continuing in the same vein, I just want to be certain that everybody is aware of ClickToFlash...probably the second most important piece of 3rd party software on my deuced Mac(hina).

The $6 minimum donation is one of the best six bucks I've ever spent! cool grin Wah Haaa!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Flash
dkmarsh #8026 01/29/10 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Quote:

Personally, I can't wait to see Flash fade from the internet. It's a buggy, intrusive, CPU-hogging piece of crap, IMO, but beyond that, I don't want 70% of the video content I watch and 90% of the web games I play to depend on one company's proprietary plug-in.

John Gruber: Apple, Adobe, and Flash

John Welch on John Nack:
Click to reveal..

More Flash crying from Adobe [warning: extreme language]

On a more constructive track, there's an interesting thread developing at ARS as we speak:
If Flash isn't supported on the iPhone/iPad, what are alternative technologies?

[though, posters at ars-technica also use colorful language at times... so, fair warning.]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01/29/10 07:13 PM.
Hal Itosis #8028 01/29/10 08:26 PM
mneptok Offline OP
OP Offline

Quote:
To them, none of what you said matters.

Until it affects them.

You yourself described sitting in a coffee shop, reading a book on the iPad, and then wanting to use Google to get more information about an author. Did you realize you'll have to quit the e-book reader to use the web? How long before this becomes an annoyance?

When Grandma decides she wants to lend the kids a book she bought on her iPad for use on the kids' Kindle, and she can't, will she start caring? It's a giant step backwards from the dead-tree version, and she paid, at minimum, $500 to take that step back.

Geeks *do* care. Otherwise, they're not really "geeks." Geeks do not like to be told how they can use their hardware or commodities they have purchased. Geeks value freedom.

mneptok #8029 01/29/10 08:48 PM

Quote:
Geeks *do* care. Otherwise, they're not really "geeks." Geeks do not like to be told how they can use their hardware or commodities they have purchased. Geeks value freedom.

There was the same type of FUD about iTunes Music, but all along Jobs wanted the DRM stripped out... and he finally got his way. Perhaps i'm not a political geek, because i've got over 5,000 songs purchased from Apple. (maybe being an AAPL stockholder helps).

===

BTW, as an example of the cool stuff available for iPhone/iPod touch users, i must highly recommend Star Walk. (i'm not affiliated with the author in any way, so this isn't spam). This app is just amazing. I got it for 2.99 around December, and the price appears to still be 2.99 today... but it may not stay that low.

Just check out this demo video at YouTube (umm, Flash required):

VITO Technology for iPhone

On the iPad's large screen that will probably look incredible.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01/29/10 09:49 PM.

"Regardless of how Apple corporate wants to portray its products,
 the Mac isn't a machine for the masses any more than red wine is
 the preferred beverage at baseball games.
 :
 So who cares about ubiquity anyway?"
--D. Story
Hal Itosis #8030 01/29/10 09:24 PM
mneptok Offline OP
OP Offline

Quote:
There was the same type of FUD about iTunes Music, but all along Jobs wanted the DRM stripped out...

Let's be clear. Jobs wanted DRM free music. He's just fine with DRM for other media. A direct quote from Jobs:

“Video’s pretty different than music because the video industry does not distribute 90% of its content DRM-free — never have. So I think they’re in a pretty different situation.”

Yup, that sounds like the single largest shareholder of Disney stock.

And the video industry has never distributed content DRM-free? Really? What about VHS? There's no DRM there at all, and it's still the biggest (by historical volume) video publishing format.

Steve's been living in his own RDF for too long.

Steve Jobs is against DRM as long as it politically expedient and does not affect his bottom line. He'll happily preach about the evils of DRM to the music industry so that Apple users will think "He's on our side!" but it's a whole different story for any other media.

If DRM is bad and evil, it's bad and evil for everyone. Not just the industries in which Steve Jobs is not a stakeholder.

mneptok #8033 01/29/10 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: mneptok

This excerpt from today's Daring Fireball:
Originally Posted By: John Gruber
“And as for Flash games, isn’t it utterly obvious that existing Flash games, which work via keyboard and mouse, wouldn’t work at all on devices which lack both keyboard and mouse?”

Hal Itosis #8034 01/29/10 10:34 PM
mneptok Offline OP
OP Offline

Seeing that the first accessory Apple lists for the iPad is a full-sized external keyboard dock, this is less an argument than it is an apologist's rationalization. wink

Hal Itosis #8035 01/29/10 10:56 PM
mneptok Offline OP
OP Offline

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard