FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MobileMe and the Cloud
#7887 01/24/10 01:48 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I am not a MobileMe subscriber. I have not yet bought into the Cloud concept. I highly prefer to have my data residing on hardware I own and control.

I currently have a Mac Pro and an iMac plus a Palm Centro, but, In the near future, my operation will have two new iPhones and three computers spread over three locations. The Palm will be retired. Synchronized calendar data will be a must.

Is there any way to use my own computer as the repository of the MobileMe data rather than Apple's Cloud service?

Last edited by dianne; 01/25/10 01:16 PM. Reason: moved from "Mac OS X Applications" to the "Networking" forum.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
Re: MobileMe and the Cloud
JoBoy #7909 01/25/10 04:33 AM

For Mobile Me? No.

If you use Mobile Me to sync, your data will be residing on your hardware, but it will also be on Apple's servers as well. If that's not something you're OK with, then you'll have to keep your data synchronized in some other way.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #7910 01/25/10 04:42 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. I'm used to syncing one phone with one computer, but that will change. Do you know of a method that works well with the future configuration mentioned above?

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
JoBoy #7913 01/25/10 05:28 AM

Edit by moderator: this reply was originally posted in Re: Export Palm calendar to iCal?. It has been merged with this topic to keep all information in the same location.

I am posting a second topic asking about whether MobileMe can be used without the Cloud feature.

Mobileme syncs between devices, via the cloud. There's no direct connection possible between two hardwares. Back To My Mac feature technically doesn't involve the cloud though, so I suppose it depends on what feature of mobileme you are referring to, since there are several? Pretty much everything to do with mobileme doesn't work (for one reason or another) if you don't have an internet connection. LAN connections aren't useful I don't think. (I don't believe two machines on the same LAN can see each other for BTMM if they are not connected to the internet/cloud)

Last edited by dianne; 01/25/10 01:09 PM. Reason: post merged and subject line revised to match topic title.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
JoBoy #7914 01/25/10 05:30 AM

Rather than thinking of your data being IN the cloud, think of it moving through the cloud, from one computer/device to another.

If at any time apple's servers get totally wiped, your machines will just push the data back to them and will resume as usual. Your information continues to be on all the machines synced. Except for your idisk. That's the only part of it you will need to keep a copy of. I'm surprised the mac doesn't cache a copy of that data locally on each machine. (maybe there's software to do just that?)

Virtual1 #7922 01/25/10 05:07 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

First, kudos to Dianne for assembling this thread. The following questions apply only to updating iCal and Address Book.

Second, I assume I will be able to sync an iPhone to my Mac Pro at a local level either by wire or by Bluetooth. Is that true?

Third, does the going get sticky trying to sync the same iPhone to multiple computers in multiple locations without MobileMe?

Fourth, does MobileMe become mandatory if two or more iPhones and multiple computers need to be synced?

Virtual1 #7951 01/26/10 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I'm surprised the mac doesn't cache a copy of that data locally on each machine. (maybe there's software to do just that?)

You can set that in System Preferences under MobileMe in the iDisk pane.

-Rodney

JoBoy #7952 01/26/10 08:14 PM

Joboy:

It sounds like you are trying to sync calendars and contacts to multiple users, not just one user using multiple devices.
If that is the case, I don't think you will be happy with MobileMe. A better understanding on what you are trying to do is needed before anyone can recommend the right tool for the job. There are a few tools to choose from, being able to invite users to the same meeting, sharing contacts, etc.

-Rodney

Last edited by Rodney; 01/26/10 08:15 PM.
Rodney #7963 01/27/10 06:10 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Rodney
Joboy:

It sounds like you are trying to sync calendars and contacts to multiple users, not just one user using multiple devices.
If that is the case, I don't think you will be happy with MobileMe. A better understanding on what you are trying to do is needed before anyone can recommend the right tool for the job. There are a few tools to choose from, being able to invite users to the same meeting, sharing contacts, etc.

-Rodney

I had hoped that I was more clear with the question. Yes, I'm trying to sync two users over two iPhones and two Macs for iCal contacts and calendars. Each of the two users will have a separate calendar, but for coordination purposes, both calendars will exist on iCal on all machines. For less clutter, the person's own calendar will be the only one checked. For coordination, both calendars will be checked to reveal potential conflicts.

My current need is for two users with multiple machines. Looking forward to three or more users, how expandable is MobileMe?

My reason for originally posting the question was that I am not thrilled with the idea of my personal contacts and calendar residing on someone else's computers and I was looking for an alternative to MobileMe for syncing. I didn't mention this before, but I was wondering if using OSX Server on my Mac Pro would enable some sort of syncing service.

JoBoy #7967 01/27/10 11:25 PM

You cannot use mobileme except through their cloud, so if you're worried about apple having a legible copy of your addressbook, that won't work for you.

I don't know of any way offhand to sync multiple machines together directly.

JoBoy #7968 01/27/10 11:54 PM

Maybe DropBox will satisfy your needs.

It's free and can't hurt to try. Well, or so they say...

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #7970 01/28/10 03:55 AM

> Maybe DropBox will satisfy your needs.

Nope...
Quote:
Dropbox is software that syncs your files online and across your computers.
Put your files into your Dropbox on one computer, and they'll be instantly available on any of your other computers that you've installed Dropbox on (Windows, Mac, and Linux too!) Because a copy of your files are stored on Dropbox's secure servers, you can also access them from any computer or mobile device using the Dropbox website.
(Emphasis added)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #7982 01/28/10 02:32 PM

Artie,

When I first read this thread, I noted the requirement to eschew clouds. When I later read this thread, well, you get the idea.

Ah, the ravages of time and tide doth take its toll.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #7984 01/28/10 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
Artie,

When I first read this thread, I noted the requirement to eschew clouds. When I later read this thread, well, you get the idea.

Ah, the ravages of time and tide doth take its toll.

I think you're giving away too much to both time and the tide, Harv.

The likelier answer is that your head is inextricably stuck in the clouds. (I've always wondered if your avatar was inspired by "Smilin' Jack;" it's been a lot of of years, but something rings a bell. )

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #7986 01/28/10 05:35 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the helpful comments in this thread. They got me thinking about other options. I went to the Apple web site and looked at OSX Server's features. They have an iCal Server app and an Address Book Server app. At first blush, they appear to be just what I need. Only problem is $500 for unlimited clients. That's a little steep for my humble beginnings, but it looks like the remedy I'm after. I need to look at the User Guide to make sure.

Last edited by JoBoy; 01/29/10 01:45 AM.

artie505 #7992 01/28/10 07:54 PM

it's possible for your data to be stored in the cloud without them having access to it.

I'm familiar with several groups that do offsite network backups for companies, that use rsync with encrypted password on the data. So while it's on their servers, they don't have the password to the data.

Virtual1 #7994 01/28/10 08:46 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
it's possible for your data to be stored in the cloud without them having access to it.

I'm familiar with several groups that do offsite network backups for companies, that use rsync with encrypted password on the data. So while it's on their servers, they don't have the password to the data.

That's very interesting. I'll definitely keep that in mind as a possibility. The thing I like about OSX Server is the room for expansion and control over what's going on.

JoBoy #8001 01/29/10 01:51 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I've spent substantial time today checking on OS X Server. It fills my projected needs exactly and provides for all foreseeable growth in a new company. The learning curve looks a little steep for someone who knows nothing about server administration, but I'm confident that there is good training available. Best of all, I can run it on my Mac Pro.

JoBoy #8006 01/29/10 03:37 AM

While not necessarily compatible with syncing, one way to store your data securely off-site is with an encrypted disk image.

I have my master password list on my flash drive. That would be totally reckless had I not placed that document (and my ssh private keys and email certs) in an encrypted disk image and copied that to my flash drive.

Since my login keychain contains the password to the dmg, I never even get asked for a pw when it's in my mac. But if I put it in another mac, it asks for the pw before mounting the image. This gives me total portability with my passwords, without any security risk.

A similar technique can be used for storing sensitive information in a cloud. An encrypted disk image would be ideal for iDisk.

Virtual1 #8169 02/04/10 06:40 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Those ideas will be very helpful in many areas in the future. Thank you for sharing them.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard