Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Why only Safari (zoomed) links don't work
#7490 01/13/10 12:06 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I have website, just discovered when got new mac 27" and zoomed the window, my website links don't work if in Safari zoomed:
http://www.kenweingart.com

No issues -- work perfectly with with Firefox or Chrome & IE.
Any idea why only Safari has problems and issues?-- thanks.

Last edited by dianne; 01/13/10 12:30 AM. Reason: topic moved from Mac OS X Applications to the Networking forum.
Re: Why only Safari (zoomed) links don't work
kevs #7493 01/13/10 12:34 AM

It works for me. I have no idea why it isn't working for you.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
kevs #7495 01/13/10 01:09 AM

Interesting—I've never used Safari's "Zoom everything" feature before. It appears that the links are still there, but in the original, unzoomed locations. If you Zoom In once, for instance, the actual links for Fashion/Beauty, Advertising/Editorial/Music, etc. will be found just below the photo—well above the words.

I imagine that's because the links aren't hypertext, but rather part of an imagemap. The HTML doesn't know anything about the page being zoomed; it just knows that (for example) the points (69, 504) and (180, 590) in the actual image loaded from the server represent the upper left and lower right corners of the clickable area for the "http://weingartbeauty.com" link.

Changing the displayed size of that image via Safari's Zoom function doesn't change the HTML, which still instructs the cursor to find the link between the points (69, 504) and (180, 590). Since the displayed image is larger, this has the effect of "moving" the clickable area "up."

Since I know nothing about how Safari implements its Zoom feature, I don't know how one might go about dealing with this problem. Sorry.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #7496 01/13/10 01:22 AM

According to a reply to How to fix image maps in Safari? Broken when page is zoomed, this problem doesn't manifest itself in Safari 4.0.4. I'm running 4.0.3, and I imagine Jon is running 4.0.4, so if kevs is running a version earlier than that, the solution may simply be to update.

Firefox works fine for me (3.5.1).

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #7497 01/13/10 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

I imagine that's because the links aren't hypertext, but rather part of an imagemap. The HTML doesn't know anything about the page being zoomed; it just knows that (for example) the points (69, 504) and (180, 590) in the actual image loaded from the server represent the upper left and lower right corners of the clickable area for the "http://weingartbeauty.com" link.

Bingo. Nailed it in one. That's exactly the problem.

I'm using Safari 4.0.4, and I notice the same thing--the links don't work correctly when the page is zoomed.

I also do not understand why that page is built the way it is. Why is the entire page an image with an image map, rather than having those links be text? If the page were built differently, there would not be a problem.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #7503 01/13/10 04:57 AM

Broken for me in Safari 4.0.4, but works in the Webkit Nightly.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
tacit #7513 01/13/10 10:37 PM

I'd call that a bug if it doesn't adjust image coordinates.

HOWEVER, text word wrapping usually gets hosed too and that's likely to really mess things up in an unfixable sort of way.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Kevin M. Dean #7515 01/13/10 11:18 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Guys, thanks, I really appreciate this help/ analysis.
Ok, I'm in 4.0.4 and the problem persist. The links are there but about and full inch or more above the hotspots.

The homepage is basically one large jpeg. Then in Dreamweaver I make hotspot links.

Never been an issue until I got large 27" and then I noticed issue becuase I keep a permanent zoom script in my default (but never ending issues) browser Safari.

A web coder I use says don't even bother with it, 5-6 people a year on Safari, zooming, not worth it. Still I hate idea every year 5-6 potential clients will mouse to those links and not be able to click.

I can easily solve this. I just had a designer reduce the size of the rectangle, and I'm about to make a long table below it
http://tinypic.com/r/2r4sbbr/6

But before I continue this laborious process.
1) is there an easier way to do this, keeping the large orginial jpeg? (read that article, but did not understand it though.)
2) if this worth it, to do for the few who are zoomed on Safari.
3) Should just wait -- maybe a update of Safari will fix it.
4) Why is Safari the only browser with this issue? don't see it in Chrome, Firefox, or IE in Windows.

kevs #7519 01/14/10 12:53 AM

Since it works in Webkit, that generally means it'll be fixed in the next release of Safari.

If you want to avoid the issue don't use a large graphic with an image map. Cut the graphic up so the link graphics are individual files with regular links attached to each one.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
kevs #7556 01/15/10 06:06 AM

Why do you want to make the front page, including the links, just one big JPEG? What is your goal in doing that?

tacit #7580 01/16/10 01:13 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Kevin/Tacit
Well my first designer created this for my main site, 10 years ago.
ONe large PSD file with many layers. Then a jpg is made. Then hotspots for the links. Never been an issue till last week.

That said, I'm open to change, but I don't know how to cut up graphics. Is this more elegant than putting a table below the revised, thinner border?

Or should I just assume this will go away with future Safari releases?
Personally, it's only issue with Safari to my knowledge. Few people use Safari, fewer use it zoomed, so if it's going to be fixed down the road, I think that sovle it no? thanks.

kevs #7611 01/17/10 03:40 AM

What I would suggest is either a table or CSS for the image, then placing text links underneath it. This will make the page load faster, resolve the problem when zooming, and help search engines to better see your site.

tacit #7612 01/17/10 04:38 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Tacit,
thanks, yeah, was thinking of table, but why not just wait for update?
is should fix that correct? and IE, Firefox, Chrome, don't have this issue.
And it's only for those zoomed. Why do all this work for a flawed browser that may even be fixed any day? just playing devils advocate....

How would CSS work -- then would not need a table correct?
I seen the rollover suggestion -- but don't know how to do that. anyone know?

And why does Safari alone have this issue?

kevs #7624 01/17/10 09:16 AM

I would do it not to fix the zoom problem, but because it's the Right Thing To Do. Having text links makes the page more search engine friendly, makes the page smaller and load faster, and makes it look better (no JPEG degradation of the text!). It also makes site maintenance easier; you can, if you like, swap out that image without changing anything on the rest of the page.

You can do it in CSS without the use of tables. An in-depth explanation is probably beyond the scope of a single reply here, but briefly, you'd set up a styled <div> with float: top for the image, and a styled <div> for the text links underneath. Or even pin the image to a specific location on the page by specifying an absolute position in the css for that image.

tacit #7634 01/17/10 07:00 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Tacit, I woluld have to hire someone to do it. is it worth all that? you agree new version of Safari will fix this. and still curious why this is an issue only with safari. Still open to ideas.

Only Search Engine benfit is a few text links -- negligible considering all SEO already have going on.

Also, every time want to add/ decrease number links, may have to do whole new table. that can be more work that moving layers in photoshop.
Unless of course do full CSS

kevs #7675 01/18/10 07:37 AM

I think it's worthwhile to do. Maybe a chance for you to do it yourself and pick up some HTML skills along the way, rather than hiring someone?

You could add/delete links without redoing the table, if all the links are in just one cell. There's no need to create a separate cell for each text link.

tacit #7693 01/18/10 05:57 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Tacit,
got not time to become a web- designer, but could make crude table below a thinner version of the jpeg. But yes, you do need table with cells no?
How else can you position new links rightward? just tested in Dreamweaver, and hitting the space bar to move right does not work. Seems you need a new cell to the right.

kevs #7714 01/19/10 07:29 AM

You can set the cell to right justification instead of left justification, or wrap the line of text in a <div align="right">. Either should work.

tacit #7734 01/19/10 05:34 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Don't see a justification tool for cells. All I know is I hit space bar and nothing happens. html, very tough to figure out

kevs #7737 01/19/10 06:37 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Tacit, just saw a few sites from reps, who rep artist in my field who have homepages with links that don't work in Safari zoomed. Major, major reps with 20 artists links on hopepage --

If they are not fixing it, I don't think I'm going to bother.

Again, you think Safari will solve this?
and I've asked this a few times-- why only Safari? alone among browers with this issue?

kevs #7748 01/19/10 10:09 PM

You can edit the HTML by hand to say <td align="right"> in the cell, or hilight the text and use whatever justification tool your program uses for text.

The problem only exists in Safari because of a bug in Safari (or more precisely, a bug in the WebKit rendering engine that Safari uses; Google Chrome also uses WebKit and behaves the same way). The bug has been fixed in the current version of WebKit, so the next release of Safari and Chrome will probably fix it.

tacit #7751 01/20/10 12:00 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

tacit, I inserted that code. Still press space key to get a few spaces away from last word, and nothing happens. that the nature of html.

thanks for clear explanation of this, why bug? are things suppsed to get more stable with each release, not massively worse? what's worse than links not working?

Chrome: works perfectly now in Chrome. Issue is only with Safari.

kevs #7767 01/20/10 06:40 PM

You can't use multiple spaces in HTML; if you press the space bar more than once, you only get one space.

HTML has a special code that you can insert when you need more than one space. The code is a non-breaking space, which is written in HTML as

Code:
&nbsp;

Most HTML editors let you put this in automatically by holding down the Option key and typing a space. In HTML editors that don't, you have to edit the source code to put those codes in. So for example if you want four spaces between the word "big" and "elephant," in HTML it would be written

Code:
big&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;elephant

Last edited by tacit; 01/20/10 06:42 PM.

tacit #7772 01/20/10 11:24 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

tacit,
nice trick, works Dreamweaver with the option.
So doing this, you think tables are not even necessary?

(that said, leaning to not bothering as you say Safari will fix this -- but it's nice option)

Did you notice problem is only Safari? Chrome is ok?

kevs #7841 01/23/10 01:39 AM

You could do it without tables, though you'll get less control over the exact placement of the link. If it were me, I'd use tables or CSS, depending on how lazy I was feeling (very lazy=tables, feeling like tearing my hair out=CSS).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard