Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Why only Safari (zoomed) links don't work
tacit #7847 01/23/10 02:00 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

everyone on DW forum replies to every thread with, learn CSS.
How many hours would that take to get down?
like about as much as Photoshop or Final Cut Pro?

kevs #7850 01/23/10 05:06 AM

You can learn CSS fairly quickly; that's not the problem. It's a bit more complex than old-fashioned HTML, but not vastly so.

The problem is that there are popular browsers (I'm looking at you, Internet Explorer!) that have very serious bugs in the way they interpret CSS, and don't even come close to following the CSS standard. A page written in perfect, 100% flawless CSS is likely to be garbled, or even totally unreadable, in Explorer. That's one of Microsoft's little gifts to the World Wide Web.

What's worse is that different versions of Explorer render the exact same CSS in different ways! You can write a piece of CSS, and it will look different in Explorer 6, Explorer 7, and Explorer 8. So for that reason, if you do a lot of CSS, what you end up doing is writing code that looks at the browser the user is using, and then gives one set of CSS to all browsers except Explorer and then different bits of CSS to the browser if it's Explorer 6, still different bits if it's Explorer 7, and different bits again if it's Explorer 8.

The most maddening, infuriating part of writing CSS isn't learning it and isn't coding it...it's making the site work in Internet Explorer. Creating workarounds and fixes to Explorer's broken CSS rendering can easily take twice as long as writing the CSS to begin with, which is one of the reasons I still use old-fashioned HTML in most of what I do.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #7855 01/23/10 06:50 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I wasnot even on the fence. Was not leaning to spending 30 hours learing CSS. And now I'm even further away!
Why bother!
IE is the most viewed browser.
So why is everyone on the Dreamweaver forum keep asking me for every little 2 bit post I put up; "why don't you learn CSS"?

kevs #7864 01/23/10 02:54 PM

They're looking ahead.

Usage share of web browsers.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #7881 01/23/10 10:51 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Just got this from that thread on DW.
Still do I want spent time learning CSS?
I'm not a web designer. Only have one little site which I just change little things once in a while:

Edit by moderator to add: Big bulletts at Adobe Forums - Dreamweaver.

am not here to debate because to be honest there is no debate between the old and the new. CSS is very powerful and yes browsers do render it different at times. However, what ever time it takes to fix any issues with CSS is most certainly faster then writing old school html. As far as IE goes...IE6 is in the way out and more and more large sites are not even supporting IE6 anymore (me included) ....even youtube!! http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/14/youtube-will-be-next-to-kiss-ie6-support-go odbye/ ....now if youtube is dropping IE6, a website that millions visit weekly...then what does that say about the daily web designer. As far as IE8... one simple line of code in the header of the page fixes any issues and forces the page to only render in IE7 and when you are ready to have IE8 support then simply remove the line.

Insert this meta tag into the head of your html and pow...your page will only render in IE7 even if the end user is using IE8...like magic.
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7">

Kevin...again with all do respect to the direction you want to take your skills. CSS is here...it is powerful and not as hard to learn as you may think or fear. Don't listen to the negatives. There are negatives with every type of coding, however what ever negatives there are in CSS they outweighs any reason to code old school.

Last edited by dianne; 01/24/10 01:29 AM. Reason: added link to the original source to provide full attribution for copied and pasted text.
kevs #7882 01/24/10 12:20 AM

Maybe you could start with something easier... like learning how to apply quote tags in forums? tongue

kevs #7886 01/24/10 01:38 AM

kevs,

I have edited your post #7881 to provide a link to the material from {sitewide} which you have posted at FineTunedMac.

In the future, please provide a link to such items in order to respect the property rights of other people and other troubleshooting forums when posting here.

As a side note, you might also consider extending to tacit the courtesy of providing attribution for his information which you copied and pasted at Adobe Forums - Dreamweaver.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
kevs #7890 01/24/10 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Kevin...again with all do respect to the direction you want to take your skills. CSS is here...it is powerful and not as hard to learn as you may think or fear. Don't listen to the negatives. There are negatives with every type of coding, however what ever negatives there are in CSS they outweighs any reason to code old school.

There's some truth to that, and I understand where he's coming from. CSS is definitely the way forward, no doubt about it.

But I don't find it faster than using plain HTML; I actually find that using tables for layout is faster than using CSS for layout. I think that learning CSS is a valuable thing to do, but I also think that the choice not to support IE 6, especially if you plan to make money from a Web site, is a bit like saying "I'm going to set up a store, but I will refuse to sell to anyone who drives a Ford."

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #7904 01/24/10 07:03 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm with you Tacit,
no energy really to learn CSS -- I'll hire others to do pages if need be.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard