for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DVI+audio -> HDMI adapter?
#7833 01/22/10 11:36 PM
OP Offline

I recently bought a DVI to HDMI adapter for my mbp. I realize it doesn't send audio because there's no audio on DVI. It's being a pain with my receiver because when I switch to the HDMI input (for my receiver to send to my TV) then it switches the sound to HDMI and I'm not sure I can override that. (to one of the other inputs like TOSlink, I have the cable for it)

Yes I could plug the computer into the tv directly and plug the sound into the receiver directly, but I'm getting sick of juggling remotes and don't want to add multiple plugins to multiple components to the mix. It seems that I have to fight 2-3 remotes anytime I want to watch anything.

Does anyone make an adapter that has a DVI and a toslink input, that outputs to HDMI?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: DVI+audio -> HDMI adapter?
Virtual1 #7860 01/23/10 12:35 PM

Although it may not be the solution you're looking for, perhaps a Logitech Harmony remote might be your best bet. I have a few friends using these devices and all are quite pleased.

- alec -
Mississauga #7877 01/23/10 09:51 PM
OP Offline

Yep that's been suggested and may be what I end up going with. The solution is far from ideal though. I just tried to hook things up that way and found that my receiver (far left under tv) with its toslink input in the bac, and HDMI ports on tv (way up and far right) are too far apart to both reach by 6' cable to my laptop unless I set it ON the entertainment center. (in front of the TV) *sigh*

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard