FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Networking Forum
#187 08/05/09 05:38 PM
Gregg Online OP
OP Online

What a surprise it was to see a thread moved to Networking because the topic had to do with browsers! After reading the fine print, which is difficult for me to do, I see that Internet issues are grouped with a bunch of other things. That's fine. I always thought MFI had too many categories. But, the larger font could be more descriptive. Something as simple as Internet, Networking, & Servers would do in this case.

Re: Networking Forum
Gregg #207 08/05/09 06:08 PM

Thanks, Gregg, I like that. It's a helpful addition to a still fairly short heading. We'll see what the admins think... wink Anyway, the current forums description is likely temporary in that it's subject to change depending on traffic.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #769 08/10/09 12:36 AM
Gregg Online OP
OP Online

Now that someone has posted an e-mail question in the Mac OS X Applications forum, I presume that it's because no Internet forum could be found. (You have to read the fine print.) Perhaps that will persuade the admins. wink

I also note that the major heading over the Networking forum is Networks & Cross-Platform. This is an apt description of the two forum titles found below. But neither it nor Networking seems to be an accurately descriptive title for "Internet related issues" (back to the fine print).

Gregg #774 08/10/09 01:29 AM

Maybe it was an email question, maybe an addressbook question. bottom line, he got 2 answers in less than 45 minutes.

...JER (-: >
Gregg #781 08/10/09 03:28 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Email and browser questions sometimes got posted in MFIF's OS X Applications & Utilities forum too, despite there being an Internet Related forum. Bottom line, if there's more than one forum to choose from there will be misplaced posts.

To me "Internet, Networking, & Servers" is redundant, but I can see how it might help people find the right forum...I'm thinking on it.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #799 08/10/09 12:44 PM
Gregg Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: cyn
To me "Internet, Networking, & Servers" is redundant,

Please elaborate. I'm not being argumentative, I want to learn something.

To me, "networking" means setting up multiple computers with a common server so that files can be shared between them. I don't have my two computers networked and have never had a home network. To me, the network environment is what I've had at work ever since computers invaded. So, that's not the same as using the Internet in my mind, in fact it's not even close. But, I can see how Networking and Servers go hand-in-hand. I included both in my suggested heading because the description also says "networks and servers".

Gregg #804 08/10/09 01:08 PM

I agree with you Gregg, and to go one step further, the poster asking about sending mail to a group had nothing to do with the internet, it had to do with Mail and Address Book APPLICATIONS. If on the other hand, Mail wasn't sending his mail, that might have been an internet related problem.

...JER (-: >
...JER #945 08/12/09 12:33 PM
Gregg Online OP
OP Online

Good points. And, as you said, within a short time, two answers were given... yours being much more helpful than mine. smile

Gregg #4414 09/27/09 08:59 PM
Gregg Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Gregg
Originally Posted By: cyn
To me "Internet, Networking, & Servers" is redundant,

Please elaborate. I'm not being argumentative, I want to learn something.

Oh, I see!

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard