An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SharePoint User Manual for Mac, does such exist?
#743 08/09/09 09:06 PM
OP Offline

I have hunted all over, but have been unsuccessful in finding a User Manual for SharePoint for Mac. I have located such a critter for PC users, but the Mac version eludes me.

Suggested links most welcome.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: SharePoint User Manual for Mac, does such exis
Pendragon #747 08/09/09 09:41 PM

Harv,

Perhaps you could start with this. It's not a manual per se but it may have some good information. I came across it via a link from this Google search page. I'm sure that you used Google but sometimes a different search comes up with different links.

Good luck!

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Pendragon #780 08/10/09 02:32 AM

You may have overlooked it or it's no longer present in the SharePoints download, but it used to include a link to the SharePoints_Doc_English (pdf).

Oops, I made a mistake referring you to the Mac freeware utility SharePoints instead of providing info about Microsoft SharePoint. blush

Last edited by alternaut; 08/11/09 02:01 AM.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #802 08/10/09 01:02 PM
OP Offline

Jon,

I too happened upon the link you provided but it’s a bit long in the tooth, (as am I). Still, any port in a storm (or in a flagon).

Alternaut,

My problem stems from the most recent updater to MS Office 2008. In that is an app called Document Connection. And therein is the capability to connect to either a MS site “Office Live Workspace” or a “SharePoint” site. But the SharePoint site is greyed out, ergo I can’t connect to anyone who is hosting/sharing via SharePoint.

From the reference you suggested, I concluded that I may need to install the SharePoint application. I dunno. confused

While all help is appreciated, I hope someone with actual experience connecting SharePoint to Macs & PCs rises to the occasion.

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #807 08/10/09 01:19 PM

I just experimented with Document Connection. I don't really know much about this but perhaps this will help:

Open Document Connection. In the DC window, click Add Location and follow the prompts. My impression is that this will enable the Sharepoint menu so that it will become active. I would try it myself except that I don't know which site I would connect to.

Have you tried going to Document Connection Help and searching for Sharepoint? That comes up with a lot of hits for me.

Last edited by jchuzi; 08/10/09 01:20 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #810 08/10/09 02:44 PM
OP Offline

Jon,

When I click on Add Location, only the office Live Workspace is enabled--the SharePoint option is greyed out.

I already checked the Help, but all I got was the greyed out SharedPoint above.

Waddya think would happen if I reinstall the latest updater?

Harv

Pendragon #815 08/10/09 04:04 PM

I'm only guessing here, but I think that you might have to add a location before SharedPoint becomes active. Otherwise, there's nothing to share.

As I said, this is a guess. I have no idea what you happen if you reinstalled the latest update.

Jon

jchuzi #826 08/10/09 05:59 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I think that you might have to add a location before SharedPoint becomes active.

That must be it. Or so I hope.

On the plus side, no one has invited me to their SharePoint site, so my issue is purely academic, at least for now.

Always, my thanks!

Harv

Pendragon #828 08/10/09 06:32 PM

Sidebar: I don't have any experience with SharePoint (while I have extensive Exchange & IIS experience, I've never worked anywhere with a SharePoint budget), but I do know that its reliance on ActiveX is a common reason for Windows on Mac in the enterprise. While there are some hokey workarounds for not using IE, SP power users often have to drink the MS kool-aid.

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
donikatz #847 08/10/09 11:35 PM

The SharePoint option is only valid if there is a SharePoint server operating on your network, and by inference that would be an Enterprise level application, not a desktop application.

The following is a quote from the Microsoft SharePoint page.

Quote:
What is SharePoint?

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 is an integrated suite of server capabilities that can help improve organizational effectiveness by providing comprehensive content management and enterprise search, accelerating shared business processes, and facilitating information-sharing across boundaries for better business insight. Additionally, this collaboration and content management server provides IT professionals and developers with the platform and tools they need for server administration, application extensibility, and interoperability.

Last edited by Sturner; 08/10/09 11:36 PM.

There are 3 kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Sturner #869 08/11/09 10:32 AM
OP Offline

Sturner,

Bingo!

You have shed light in my realm of darkness. (Well, something like that.) Thank you for the clear and cogent reply. At last, I now know and understand what is going on.

Harv

Pendragon #896 08/11/09 09:35 PM

Interestingly enough, I'm currently on a job not far from Georgetown. I pass by on my commute down on Monday and return trip Wedenesday night, back to Dallas.

Sturner #971 08/12/09 06:46 PM

conversely, I've found there are 10 kinds of people, those that know binary, and those that don't.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Sturner #986 08/12/09 07:38 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Sturner
Interestingly enough, I'm currently on a job not far from Georgetown. I pass by on my commute down on Monday and return trip Wedenesday night, back to Dallas.

I live off Rt 29, about 15 minutes west of I-35

Please email should you have interest in meeting: pndrgnsvc </at/> aol </dot>/com /. And please include Sturner in subject line, so you're not deleted. Or, should you choose, iChat at pndrgnsvc--AIM or Skype at pndrgnsvc.

Harv

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard