Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: FREEWARE! (RAM Test)
dkmarsh #19766 12/20/11 05:59 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Quote:
(By way of comparison, I've contracted for 7Gb service, speed tests show a consistent 6.45Mb/sec, and my max d/l speed is about 785Kbps.)

Just so I can be sure I'm not missing something obvious...are you really saying that
  1. you've contracted for a download speed of 7 gigabits per second?
  2. your maximum download speed in practice is 785 kilobits per second?
My internet service is 750 Kbps (that's 750 kilobits per second), and my maximum sustained download speeds are typically about 80-90 KBps (that's kilobytes per second), which figures out to be an actual speed of around 680 Kbps (kilobits per second) of data transfer.

Hard to believe I'm getting download speeds that rival yours with service that's 9,000 times slower. laugh

Good catch!

I stand corrected... I just checked and realized that I've actually contracted for 7Mbps service. Oops! (Wishful thinking, I guess.) blush

So it looks like our experiences are actually in line with each other. (My d/l speed, as reported by Safari is bytes, not bits as you posted, possibly as a result of some mis-statement on my part for which I apologize. [I think I've finally got the bits/bytes thing down pat.])

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #19780 12/20/11 06:01 PM

I typically take kilobits per second and divide by 9 (not 8) for a realistic megabytes per second estimate.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #19781 12/20/11 09:02 PM

That would be voodoo math to the extreme. Most folks divide kilobits per second by 9 to calculate a realistic KILObytes per second estimate.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #19815 12/22/11 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

That would be voodoo math to the extreme. Most folks divide kilobits per second by 9 to calculate a realistic KILObytes per second estimate.

Whoops. ya, do what I mean, not what I say

Virtual1 #19851 12/28/11 09:37 PM

Version 10 of the (free but limited) Personal Learning Edition of landscape and scenery software Vue is available.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #20050 01/10/12 12:34 PM

It ain't pretty, and it takes too many clicks and too much time to get the job done, but it is free: Get_Path

I've got it installed in my Finder toolbar.

(Tested in Snow Leopard)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #20054 01/10/12 03:41 PM

If you prefer contextual services (or contextual menus in older Mac OS X versions), try HsoiContextualServices (Snow Leopard) or Hsoi’s Shop CMPlugins (Leopard and earlier) for file paths and several related options. Downloads on this page.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #20058 01/10/12 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
If you prefer contextual services (or contextual menus in older Mac OS X versions), try HsoiContextualServices (Snow Leopard) or Hsoi’s Shop CMPlugins (Leopard and earlier) for file paths and several related options. Downloads on this page.

Thanks; I do prefer contextual items, and I've already dl'ed and failed with Hsoi, but your post has taught me that I had the wrong version...will try again.

artie505 #20082 01/13/12 09:59 AM

I prefer Hsoi to Get_Path, but I'll never understand apps that think they need to run an installer package to get a single item into /Apps.

Re: FREEWARE!
artie505 #20085 01/13/12 03:47 PM
OP Offline

just fixing the thread's title. crazy
[someone added “(RAM Test)” to it]

artie505 #20123 01/16/12 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I prefer Hsoi to Get_Path, but I'll never understand apps that think they need to run an installer package to get a single item into /Apps.

Following the standard, don't knock it, it's a good thing. Only admins can write to /Applications now I think anyway. Less chance of the installation process breaking if Apple decides to tweak something.

Virtual1 #20127 01/16/12 10:33 PM
OP Offline

<ahem>
just fixing the thread's title. crazy
[someone added “(RAM Test)” to it]
mad

Hal Itosis #20202 01/21/12 02:01 PM

For those of you who missed it, the original Mac Marathon game series was updated for Mac OS X with the Aleph One (v1.0) game engine December 1, 2011 (Download). For the older stuff, go HERE. tongue

PS to Hal: with 46 post titles with the 'RAM Test' addition and 9 with another, there is a better than 50% chance that a new reply has an 'inflated' title if one assumes (likely incorrectly) that any post has the same chance to get replied to. You want them all fixed? shocked smirk

alternaut moderator
alternaut #20236 01/23/12 01:20 AM
OP Offline

For those of you who missed it, the original Mac Marathon game series was updated for Mac OS X with the Aleph One (v1.0) game engine December 1, 2011 (Download).

molto grazie

You want them all fixed? shocked smirk

All? Heavens no... that would be overkill.
Just the ones not pertaining to 'ram test'. L grin L

alternaut #20253 01/23/12 08:52 PM

For those of you who missed it, the original Mac Marathon game series was updated for Mac OS X with the Aleph One (v1.0) game engine December 1, 2011 (Download). For the older stuff, go HERE. tongue

That game has the distinction of having been the only game I've ever played to almost send me falling out of my chair in the first two minutes of play. The ambient sounds are perfect for mood setting.

"What the $#@! was THAT?"

Last edited by Virtual1; 01/23/12 08:53 PM.

Virtual1 #20260 01/24/12 02:55 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
That game has the distinction of having been the only game I've ever played to almost send me falling out of my chair in the first two minutes of play. The ambient sounds are perfect for mood setting.

Full agreement here. I was hooked in the first minute... and increasingly hopelessly more so, the further i progressed. Spent many a miserable (cold weather) winter weekend on my Quadra 630 carefully going through all those levels... even the hidden ones we had to search for (i.e., undocumented and not requisite to finish the game).The clever mix of story-telling and puzzle-solving (plus those creepy creatures) was incredibly intriguing.

Games today (e.g., Rage or infinity Blade) don't even come anywhere close, despite superior graphics. [perhaps Dead Space is one game attempting to clone the marathon tradition... but idunno since i haven't tried it yet.]

[btw, i happen to know that ganbustein is another fellow marathon fanatic... but he doesn't unlurk here in the lounge that often.]

Hal Itosis #20316 01/26/12 07:24 AM

Hide Images (Edit: is an extension that) places a button in your Safari toolbar; it does precisely what its name suggests.

I find it useful when I navigate to one-time Web sites that I don't want to configure with AdBlock.

Last edited by artie505; 01/26/12 08:38 AM.

artie505 #20668 02/17/12 02:03 AM
OP Offline

haven't tried this (enhanced address book) as yet, but i did just download and install. It appears to be free, but sometimes "betas" can turn out to be bait...

http://www.cobookapp.com/

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 02/17/12 02:06 AM. Reason: fixed link
Hal Itosis #20669 02/17/12 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
haven't tried this (enhanced address book) as yet, but i did just download and install. It appears to be free, but sometimes "betas" can turn out to be bait...

http://www.cobookapp.com/

I like it a lot at first glance, but...

First negative is that it doesn't replace the quirky, unintuitive, buggy (in Snow Leopard, anyhow) Address Book pane that appears when you click the "Address" icon in a new e-mail.

Edits:

Oops! I just discovered that it's got an "Email All" command under the work wheel.

In syncing with Address Book, it doesn't pick up my "Custom" phone # labels.

It didn't pick up my preferred e-mail address pref for my daughter, but I managed to reorder her addresses...once...can't figure out how to do it a second time. (Got it... I had to quit and relaunch.)

Time to contact the developer.

Looks like a promising app (particularly since Lion's Address Book seems prone to negative press; I wonder what it'll cost? (If it's reasonable, I'll spring.)

Last edited by artie505; 02/17/12 03:21 AM.

artie505 #20691 02/18/12 06:01 AM

ImageShack® - Uploader for your free image hosting needs:

Quote:
The Imageshack Bulk Uploader is a simple standalone application for uploading one or more image and video files to Imageshack. Users can upload to their account or anonymously.

Windows haters can rejoice: Version 2.2.0 is a cross-platform tool, supporting Windows, Mac, and Linux.

It works in Snow Leopard... Logs you in almost instantaneously when you launch it, uploads quickly via drag 'n' drop, and shows you thumbnails before and after upload.

artie505 #20706 02/18/12 04:20 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
ImageShack® - Uploader for your free image hosting needs:

The Imageshack Bulk Uploader is a simple standalone application for uploading one or more image and video files to Imageshack. Users can upload to their account or anonymously. Windows haters can rejoice: Version 2.2.0 is a cross-platform tool, supporting Windows, Mac, and Linux.

It works in Snow Leopard... Logs you in almost instantaneously when you launch it, uploads quickly via drag 'n' drop, and shows you thumbnails before and after upload.

I don't upload to Imageshack, but i have viewed and downloaded files from there... and i think they enforce a per/file size restriction or something.

Anyway, reading that post made me realize that we haven't included Dropbox here (great for images and much much much much more):

Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/

Hal Itosis #20710 02/18/12 11:13 PM

> I don't upload to Imageshack, but i have viewed and downloaded files from there... and i think they enforce a per/file size restriction or something.

Originally Posted By: ImageShack
How many files can I upload?

You can upload up to 500 files into your account. Anything over that number will expire by first of each month. Unlimited storage is available for Premium users. Subscription plans start at $2/month.

Are there any size restrictions for uploading files?

Each image you upload must be less than 5 megabytes in size, 10 megabytes for premium users. If it is greater than that amount, your image will be optimized for the Internet use. Video files must be less than 15 minutes or they will be trimmed after uploading. Gif files are restricted to only the first frame. In order to upload animated gifs, ou must be a Premium user.

Edit: You can also upload anonymously, which implies unlimited, which is great for purposes such as FTM posts, but you can't delete anonymous images or take advantage of assorted other (free) registered members' services.

All in all, though, ImageShack is great for minimal users. (I used another service before IS, Photobucket, I think, and I didn't like it at all.)

Last edited by artie505; 02/19/12 12:47 AM.

artie505 #20711 02/19/12 01:44 AM
OP Offline

Forgot to mention, Dropbox also comes in iOS flavors... so having easy access while mobile is quite handy. And many other iOS apps have Dropbox saving/syncing built right in.

EDIT/ and the Mac OS version is nicely integrated into Finder: menu extra, contextual menu item as well as a special toolbar menu.

I think the only limit on (free) Dropbox is the 2 gigabyte max. To go beyond that they start to charge.

EDIT/ I also like how dropbox.com is using https (secure http), and Ghostery shows no sign of web beacons there (whereas imageshack has a couple). All in all, no one needs both... and the best choice is clear (imo).

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 02/19/12 01:54 AM.
Hal Itosis #20713 02/19/12 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Forgot to mention, Dropbox also comes in iOS flavors... so having easy access while mobile is quite handy. And many other iOS apps have Dropbox saving/syncing built right in.

EDIT/ and the Mac OS version is nicely integrated into Finder: menu extra, contextual menu item as well as a special toolbar menu.

I think the only limit on (free) Dropbox is the 2 gigabyte max. To go beyond that they start to charge.

EDIT/ I also like how dropbox.com is using https (secure http), and Ghostery shows no sign of web beacons there (whereas imageshack has a couple). All in all, no one needs both... and the best choice is clear (imo).

Originally Posted By: Dropbox
Dropbox is an application that creates a special Finder folder that automatically syncs online and between your computers. It allows you to both backup files and keep them up-to-date between systems.

Clarification, please... The above does not give me the impression that Dropbox allows you to link to stored images for, by way of example, FTM posting. If so, both Dropbox and ImageShack may be necessary.

Edit: But I do agree with you about the relative security and goblin-free aspects of D an IS.

Last edited by artie505; 02/19/12 02:45 AM.

artie505 #20714 02/19/12 02:50 AM

Quote:
The above does not give me the impression that Dropbox allows you to link to stored images for, by way of example, FTM posting.

Well, we need to change that impression , then. wink

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard