FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iCal alarm: message - only one when multiple set
#7589 01/16/10 03:57 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

I've always been annoyed that iCal will only report one alarm message even when more are set for the same date and time. Does anyone know of a fix for this annoyance? (Confession: I haven't searched for an answer elsewhere.)

Re: iCal alarm: message - only one when multiple s
Gregg #7590 01/16/10 06:00 PM

2.0.5 shows multiple alarms, but only one alarm window

...JER (-: >
Gregg #7594 01/16/10 07:26 PM

I know I've seen stacked alarms before... but those may have been alarms that came in at different times. When that happens, there are several of them in the popup. You sure it only shows the first? or is it the last?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #7604 01/17/10 12:35 AM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, I didn't specify that above, but yeah, I think it shows the first one only - most of the time. Once in a blue moon I've seen two events in the pop up.

If there are events on the same day at different times, wouldn't the first one hold on to the pop up window if it wasn't closed? I set them at the same time hoping to see all events for the day at once, but it hasn't worked that way.

Gregg #7606 01/17/10 01:19 AM

Before I answered your first post, I set 3 up at the same time. All three showed up in the pop up window, and there was a scroll bar on the right edge. If you close the pop up window using the red button like closing a finder window, it closes all of them. If you click on the x next to the item it just closes that item.

...JER #7615 01/17/10 06:20 AM

Before I answered your first post,

that's how mine works here too

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #7685 01/18/10 02:09 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to both of you. I set two up for today, since the next "natural' occurrence isn't until Feb. 4th! We'll see...

Gregg #7686 01/18/10 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Gregg
Thanks to both of you. I set two up for today, since the next "natural' occurrence isn't until Feb. 4th! We'll see...
Let us know the result please.

...JER #7719 01/19/10 01:32 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: ...JER
I set 3 up at the same time. All three showed up in the pop up window, and there was a scroll bar on the right edge.

I obtained the same result. Perhaps the problem is my inattentiveness, and I'm not identifying the true shortcoming. I've set up another test for tomorrow: 2 Events at different times.

In such cases, I think what should happen is for iCal to generate seperate alert windows at the designated times, or at least add the second event to the open alert window. I suspect that the source of my frustration is that it does neither. Rather, the first alert window remains unchanged, and the second Event is never shown. If that happens, the next test is to set up the same scenario, but close the first alert window before the second one is due to appear.

I have another reminder app called Dave's Remember?. (the ? is part of the name) When an alert window pops up, the title bar also indicates that this is 1 of 5, for example. The additional alerts, accessed by clicking an arrow, may be on the same day, or over the next few days. I like that. iCal should do that too!

Gregg #7768 01/20/10 10:49 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Gregg
I've set up another test... 2 Events at different times.

In such cases, I think what should happen is for iCal to generate seperate alert windows at the designated times, or at least add the second event to the open alert window. I suspect that the source of my frustration is that it does neither. Rather, the first alert window remains unchanged, and the second Event is never shown. If that happens, the next test is to set up the same scenario, but close the first alert window before the second one is due to appear.

Yep. First alert window will not update, nor will a second one open if the first one is not closed. But, if you close the first one, a later one that same day will produce its own alert. But then, why wouldn't it?

Gregg #7776 01/21/10 02:46 AM

I guess ical figures if you aren't there to react to the open pop up, you won't be there to react to a second one. The thing that bothers me is that you can't set the new event prefs. I want it to default to message with sound 15 minutes before, and I can't get it to do that. Same with events from address book birthdays. I don't open calendar except to enter a new appointment, and I want it to tell me when anything comes up.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard