FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
USB question/problem
#7268 01/04/10 11:21 PM
...JER Offline OP
OP Offline

I bought myself a Garmin Nuvi GPS unit for after Xmas. It has a USB cable for hookup to Macs and PCs. Supposed to be compatible with G3s forward running OSX 10.4.11 or later. It doesn't show up on my desktop, which then won't allow it to communicate with Garmin's software, or website for upgrades. It shows up fine on my Acer PC. All my other USB devices work/show up fine. Anyone have any experience with Garmin units and Macs?

I've plugged it directly into the computer with nothing else but the keyboard & mouse connected. Done a restart. Shut down, unplugged for 1/2 hr or so and restarted. The unit knows it's connected, as it shows the connection icon on the screen. The computer doesn't recognize it. I'm out of ideas, any suggestions?

System is a G4 running 10.4.11, 1.5 GB memory.

Last edited by ...JER; 01/04/10 11:23 PM.

...JER (-: >
Re: USB question/problem
...JER #7279 01/05/10 04:11 AM

Some USB devices require more power than the Macintosh USB port can provide. Try using the Garmin with a powered USB hub unless you can be certain that it requires less power than your USB port provides.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
MicroMatTech3 #7286 01/05/10 12:41 PM
...JER Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: MicroMatTech3
Some USB devices require more power than the Macintosh USB port can provide. Try using the Garmin with a powered USB hub unless you can be certain that it requires less power than your USB port provides.

Thanks MicroMatTech3, I tried that too, no difference.

...JER #7287 01/05/10 01:23 PM

Quote:
It doesn't show up on my desktop...

Apologies if this is too obvious, but how are your Finder Preferences -> General -> Show these items on the Desktop configured? Some types of external devices seem to be treated by the OS as being in a different category than what common sense would dictate.

Failing that, does System Profiler see the Garmin?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #7288 01/05/10 01:48 PM
...JER Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Apologies if this is too obvious, but how are your Finder Preferences -> General -> Show these items on the Desktop configured? Some types of external devices seem to be treated by the OS as being in a different category than what common sense would dictate.

Failing that, does System Profiler see the Garmin?

All 3 items are checked to show on the desktop. And no, System Profiler doesn't see it either.

...JER #7307 01/05/10 11:37 PM

Also sorry if this is obvious, but is there any attendant software that may be incompatible in some way?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #7317 01/06/10 01:21 AM
...JER Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Also sorry if this is obvious, but is there any attendant software that may be incompatible in some way?
It's supposed to show up on the desktop like a flash drive when you plug it in. It doesn't on the Mac. It does on the PC. The software doesn't need to run to see the device on the desktop, but the device needs to be on the desktop for the software to find it.

I'm wondering if there was maybe a change in the USB driver in a software update that I haven't installed that would cause the Mac to recognize it.

...JER #7351 01/07/10 01:28 AM

It is probably time to get in touch with Garmin tech support about this issue. Please let us know how the problem is resolved.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
MicroMatTech3 #7357 01/07/10 02:09 PM
...JER Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: MicroMatTech3
It is probably time to get in touch with Garmin tech support about this issue. Please let us know how the problem is resolved.

I've been in touch with them. They don't have a solution, but think it's a problem with my Mac, since the PC recognizes it. My next step is to try it on another Mac, but that will have to wait until my next trip into town. I also have a friend with another garmin model that I may try to hook up to my system to see if it is recognized.

...JER #7359 01/07/10 03:04 PM

I had a similar problem with Garmin a few years ago. That is exactly why I have a TomTom today.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
...JER #7366 01/07/10 08:50 PM

As part of your experimenting you might want to check out the Yahoo Group macmap, which provides good info about GPS use with Macs, including ‘the status of many USB devices and their interaction with GPS units including Garmin’.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #7368 01/07/10 10:50 PM
...JER Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks.

alternaut #7547 01/14/10 11:34 PM

Just because it's USB doesn't mean that the manufacturer had his head any place than up his fundament. It could be because the product is defective, the USB cord is damaged, your USB port is damaged, or the manufacturer put in something proprietary that causes the USB port to not be device independent.

Check your USB cord first.

There are 3 kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard