for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Printer commands not getting to printer
#7327 01/06/10 01:14 PM
OP Offline

My wife recently began having printing problems on her DP 800, 10.4.11. The printer is an Epson Stylus Photo R340.

The printer is connected directly to my computer. My wife prints via my Print Sharing. Our computers are hard-wired via a router.

On the wife’s DP 800, when a print command is given from either the Menu or keyboard, the print dialogues appear as usual. When allowed to proceed, the printer wakes from its sleep and goes through its “initialization” process as usual. All sounds and lights appear normal -- as if the printing were imminent. Then, the printer goes back to its sleep mode.

I can print fine, so I know the printer works OK.

What is so befuddleing to me, is that my wife can print a Word document, but not Mail or Safari, or TextEdit.

When I check the printing status of a failed print, I get: “/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/Filter/rastertoescpII.app/Contents/MacOS/rastertoescpII failed”

I have Googled about and have seen that others have experienced this fault, but as yet, I have not found a fix.

• I have restarted both computers and the printer
• I ran DiskWarrior (no problems)
• I Safe Booted
• I created a new User Account (still can’t print)
• I removed and then re-added/selected the printer

Alas, no joy in Pendragon land-

Might one of the wizards here ‘bouts have a fix? A new wife is just not in the budget…

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Printer commands not getting to printer
Pendragon #7328 01/06/10 01:43 PM

I had a similar problem with my HP laserjet. I reinstalled the print driver then uninstalled and reinstalled the printer. That fixed it. You might check the epson site for the latest driver.

...JER (-: >
...JER #7329 01/06/10 02:05 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for the prompt reply, Tis greatly appreciated.

When you uninstalled your printer, was it from the ~Library/Printers folder And how did you uninstall it?

I can DL and install a new driver, but I am unsure which one to get. My wife is using a PPC 10.4.x and I have an Intel Snow Leopard.

FWIW, the 6 different drivers for my machine are Here

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #7330 01/06/10 02:27 PM

Harv,

Go to this thread and scroll down to post #6128 for Epson's take on how to uninstall and reinstall. I don't know which driver you should use but it looks like you should avoid the first one.

Have you tried Printer Setup Repair 5.1.2? That app has fixed many vexing print problems for me. There is a free seven-day trial.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #7331 01/06/10 03:20 PM
OP Offline

Jon,

It seems to me that deleting and then reinstalling the print driver is the solution. So far, I'm thinking the Common Updater is the way to go. Any thoughts?

Where I am (most) confused is which printer driver/OS to approach & repair-- the driver on the PPC 10.4 system or the driver on my Intel 10.6 system, e.g., I still don't know which computer to fix. Arrrgh!

Harv

Pendragon #7334 01/06/10 06:07 PM

Harv,

Your issue involves printer sharing and I have no experience with that. If nobody else is able to help, you might try Epson's tech support. They were fairly prompt with a reply to me and I have had good luck with them in the past. In fact, it would be a good idea to hedge your bets and contact Epson while you're waiting for someone else to reply in this thread.

Keep us posted. Oh yes: Happy New Year. smile

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Pendragon #7335 01/06/10 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
Where I am (most) confused is which printer driver/OS to approach & repair-- the driver on the PPC 10.4 system or the driver on my Intel 10.6 system, e.g., I still don't know which computer to fix. Arrrgh!

Start with the Mac from which printing is a problem. That *should* take care of things.

alternaut moderator
Pendragon #7338 01/06/10 07:11 PM

Code:
localhost:~ virtual1 $ lpstat -v
device for External_FaxModem: fax://dev/cu.usbmodem
device for HP_Deskjet_F4200_series: usb://HP/Deskjet%20F4200%20series?serial=CN9A55Y2C805BR
device for TODDS4050: hpip://10.10.0.67:HP%20LaserJet%204000%20Series/1:0.10.83.b.be.ac

That command shows cups' printers. Generally speaking, any printer that prints in the "normal" way will print share fine because printing is normally handled by printing to your own machine's built in print server (CUPS) so sharing is a buttonclick away.

Printers that do things "their own way" always break sharing support and so have to provide their own. usually seeing a nonstandard URL header (like the "hpip" above) is an indicator they're doing something their own way. USB, FW, IPP, and LPR are the built ins. Also anything with an ip address of 127.0.0.1 is trouble. Canon loves to do that with their big units, they print to their own internal print server, bypassing CUPS entirely)

All in one's are much more likely to cause this sort of problem.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #7342 01/06/10 10:01 PM
OP Offline

I took Jon's (sage) advice and wrote to Epson Tech Support.

As soon as I get Epson's reply, I'll post back.

If nothing else, it will be interesting...

Harv

Pendragon #7494 01/13/10 12:50 AM
OP Offline

To make a long story short…

After about a dozen email exchanges with Epson, I was advised to call the Epson support center.

After the telephone prompts, I spoke with the tech and provided my case number. After a few minutes to allow the tech to catch up on the situation/status of all that transpired in the aforementioned email exchanges, I was again advised to delete the old printer and (re)add the shared printer via System Preferences/Print & Fax.) I did this even though I had done so via the email guidance.)

That tech could not resolve the issue so I was then handed-off to a senior tech. More of the same then transpired.

(Alas, no joy. What is so weird (to me) is that Word prints fine, but Text Edit, Mail, & Web pages do not.)

At this point the tech advised that Epson printers are guaranteed to work, but not in shared environment, and that my next course of action was to contact Apple as this is almost certainly an Apple Printer Sharing problem related to 10.6.x.

What amazed me is that a quick Google search revealed so many others that are having the same/similar problem (without a definitive solution), yet the Epson techs sounded as if this were a new problem/condition.

Perhaps 10.6.3 will put things to right.

At least the Merlot has yet to fail...

Harv

Pendragon #9778 05/05/10 11:30 AM
OP Offline

The latest Epson updater, v2.3.1, has miraculously put things to right. And marital bliss has once again returned to Pendragon land.

But how, what got fixed? Ah, now that remains a mystery...

Harv

Pendragon #9779 05/05/10 12:16 PM

Thanks for posting the solution, Harv. In about a month, I'll be upgrading to an Epson R2880 and, hopefully, everything will work as it's supposed to.

Jon

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard