An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#7369 - 01/07/10 04:05 PM Attachments missing when I sent to AOL account
slolerner Offline

Loc: New York City
The obvious answer is for my cuz to stop using AOL. But he won't. So, I'm running Panther with Mail 1.3.11 and sending to his computer which is using Leopard (not Snow Leopard.) He NEVER gets my attachments.
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air

#7371 - 01/07/10 07:01 PM Re: Attachments missing when I sent to AOL account [Re: slolerner]
tacit Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
I use AOL and have no problem sending or receiving attachments.

There are a number of potential gotchas, that might explain the issues you are having:

- How large are the attachments? AOL has a maximum file size for attachments; I don't remember what it is, but I think it's around 3 MB or so. Larger attachments won't go.

- How are you encoding the attachments? You might try the "always use Windows-friendly encoding" in your Mail settings.

- Attach only one file per email; if oyu want to send multiple files, send multiple emails.

- It is possible to set up an AOL account to forbid attachments. Have him log on to AOL's Web site and check his mail settings.

#7372 - 01/07/10 07:05 PM Re: Attachments missing when I sent to AOL account [Re: slolerner]
Hal Itosis Offline

Loc: 10.6.8 (build 10K549)
IIRC, AOL will not accept multiple attachments, but does [or did] allow a single attachment. That was eons ago... i'm not sure what their deal is now.

Does it not work with a single attachment?

[edit: timing is everything... didn't see you tacit]

Edited by Hal Itosis (01/07/10 07:08 PM)

Moderator:  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac