FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Seems like an account problem? Pls help
#6999 12/26/09 06:54 PM
OP Offline

Small office: 4 Macs: hardware upgrade in process

We have two iMacs (Intel) which network perfectly. Click on network, see the other computer's name, click on it and you're in. That's the way it should be. No need to type a password and you can see the other Mac's desktop.

I have just introduced an iMacG4 (powerPC) (it looks like a desklamp - that model) and now I'm going round in circles, which did not happen when I installed the other iMacs well over a year ago.

They're all running OSX10.4 so it's not an operating system issue.

They all have the same password.

Eventually I got the iMacG4 PowerPC to see an intel iMac (to copy over user data previously saved there from the old Mac which has now been taken out) by setting up user accounts at both ends, and I gave them both admin rights. I also checked permissions at both ends.

I didn't have to do this a year ago when I installed the Intel iMacs, they've always been able to see each other's desktops and full disk contents!

I have another one to instal before the Christmas break is over, but am reluctant to continue before I get this one sorted out.

What we need is all four Macs, all running OSX, all connected via the ethernet hub, all communicating smoothly, exactly as two of them already do.

PLEASE DON'T TELL ME IT'S A POWERPC v. INTEL ISSUE!

I think I've gone down the wrong trail in User Accounts, somehow. All I can think of is to delete the accounts I created today and start again......

FWIW I didn't have a Christmas break - it was cancelled due to being snowed in and being unable to get away. Therefore I'm doing this now, before the office restarts next Wednesday.

I hope it's a simple fix and that I'm just confused, reading too many Apple Help files. I hope so, I've got another one to instal, having previously gotten the data off the Mac it replaces, then 3-4 software licenses to instal on that one too.

Does this make sense? Have I said enough?

Re: Seems like an account problem? Pls help
Bensheim #7004 12/26/09 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
PLEASE DON'T TELL ME IT'S A POWERPC v. INTEL ISSUE!
Okay, it is not a PPC v Intel issue nor is it an OS issue. grin

No offense intended, but I suspect it is a memory issue, your memory not computer memory. I suspect you have forgotten how you got everything setup in the first place. Either that or I am missing something in your explanation. If I am missing something please elucidate.

We have several computers around here and we can freely connect and share data among all of them even though we do NOT have the same account or password on each of the machines. The "trick" is each of the computers has been logged onto an account on each of the other machines using the userid and password of an account on the target computer. The first time computer A logs onto computer B there is a prompt asking if you want to save the password. A positive response to this stores the name, userid, and password of computer B in computer A's keychain. Subsequent logons to compute B from computer A are automatic because the logon information is stored in Computer A's keychain. Click on it and you are in. The process is the same even if you are logging onto an account on the other computer that has the same userid and password.

You can logon to another computer as a Guest and no userid, or password is required but that provides access only to the /Users/Shared, Users/AccountID/Public, and Users/AccountID/Public/Drop Box folders. A third possibility running OS X 10.4 is you setup publicly accessible folders using SharePoints that could be accessed with a Guest account. If you used Sharepoints you would likely have the Sharepoints preference pane in System Preferences.

I am not a fan of Guest access of any type as they create a security vulnerability that could be exploited. If you were using Leopard or Snow Leopard you might have created Access Control Lists which have the potential for more access control and as a result greater security.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #7014 12/27/09 07:43 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Joe.......
Quote:
The "trick" is each of the computers has been logged onto an account on each of the other machines using the userid and password of an account on the target computer.
that worked perfectly. Just as it should.

Today I had worse problems. I'm only writing them here because I feel so lonely sometimes. My boss has completely BLIND FAITH in me which is why he stays cheerful. He reckons there ain't been a technical problem which I have not solved yet, so therefore why worry?

I tell you, being indispensable SUCKS. Sometimes I really hate this job. I am now losing sleep over all the responsibility and envy those in larger companies with techie colleagues. Sure, they have less freedom, but they have mutual support, just like I used to in my previous job.

Yesterday I finally disconnected a PowerPC OS9 G4 and replaced it with an iMac PowerPC G4 OSX. Today I went for the other PowerPC OS9 G4. (The boss's one). Today's mission was to get all the data off it, using memory sticks because the CD drive/burner does not work, before installing a new PowerPC G4 currently running OSX which has never been used other than to make sure it works...

The boss's old PowerPC G4 would not start. A brief flicker of light on the power button then nothing. Using this Mac I researched this phenomenon on the net, and using instructions from various Apple sites, opened it up, FINALLY (sigh) located the PMU reset button (which is not where it says on the motherboard on the Apple site) and tried that. No result. While the G4's guts were open upon my boss's desk he strolled in to use the office phones over "Christmas".

Oh how impressive! he said.
I could do with some help around here, I replied.

He got the battery out. Leaving it out or putting it back in, the results were the same, no power-up.

We got the other old G4 and immensely heavy CRT screen off the floor and plugged it in somewhere else. It was our only hope to get his data back, since I'd backed it up to there. That one finally booted up after we'd gotten some tiny screwdrivers out to make sure the heavy CRT monitor's heavy adaptors were back home in their tiny slot....and then we started to use data sticks to transfer his vital data....and during all that he started to use the office phones to make Christmas calls as he'd planned.

At 7pm he airily told me to leave it for the day.

Tomorrow I get the "new" Mac out of the box and start loading software and data. Also making sure it can see the other Macs in the office and that it works with the very old Studio flatscreen and keyboard from the previous (now dead) one. Not in that order. crazy

Thanks for reading.

Bensheim #7027 12/28/09 01:56 AM

You probably needed to replace the backup (PRAM) battery with a new one, not just pull the old one out and then put it back in. Depending on circumstances the expected lifespan of those batteries is between three and five years. A dead backup battery can produce exactly the symptoms you describe. Of course you have a fully stocked battery store right around the corner that is open 24x365 — NOT.
Quote:
...using memory sticks because the CD drive/burner does not work

Given you already have at least one dead optical drive to contend with and the likelihood that more will partially or completely fail in the near future, given the age of your Macs, I recommend you discuss the possibility of getting an external optical drive with firewire and USB interfaces with your boss. They are relatively inexpensive and can save you a lot of time and difficulty.

I would also recommend a bootable external hard drive with USB and Firewire interfaces with OS X and a variety of troubleshooting and volume repair utilities installed on it to have handy in case of emergency. I have a bus powered 2.5 inch form factor enclosure with a 120 GB drive salvaged when I upgraded the drive in a laptop that I use. I don't have to use it often, but when I do it is absolutely invaluable. Besides emergency use it is a lot faster when I need to boot from an external volume to perform routine volume maintenance on hard drives.

Finally, I don't know about your side of the pond, but on our side I found a not great, but usable, set of micro-screwdrivers at the local hardware store for under $10 USD. Given what you are doing something like that can also be invaluable.

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/28/09 04:36 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #7040 12/28/09 04:10 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for your reply again Joe. Wrong quote back to me though!

I really think I deserve a medal here. It's been a long journey with some moments of acute stress.

Now, we finally have four Macs all running OSX, all communicating with each other. We've now got two iMacs (intel) and two G4s (powerPC). The vital software finally arrived from California, and (one heart-stopping moment after another) I found an upgrade to OSX cd for our vital charts/graphics application in the desk drawer.

I've got email working on the two new Macs, software updated fine, all output to the printer, I just hope our Printer (the firm who print our publication, not the hardware device) can read OSX-generated PDF files: if he can't I'll have to urgently source an Acrobat license too. Oh and I need (replacement) Euro fonts too.......

There are a few weirdos hanging around but I'm going to ignore them ftm. The most important thing now is to learn how to work as usual on DTP and do the financial side without the macros I've been used to for years.

Thanks for reading.
ps. the battery issue is not an issue now that the other Mac has been installed.

Bensheim #7042 12/28/09 04:45 PM

Quote:
I just hope our Printer (the firm who print our publication, not the hardware device) can read OSX-generated PDF files: if he can't I'll have to urgently source an Acrobat license too.

PDF is PDF is PDF, it is a standard so that should not be an issue. That said, there are lots of things that can be done in Acrobat that you cannot do using the Print to PDF in OS X. Typically and Print to PDF files will be significantly larger and you will not have the optimization and fine tuning options of Acrobat available.

Sorry about the misquote. I pasted before I copied and did not bother to read what I pasted. blush

— Albert Einstein
Bensheim #7074 12/29/09 03:22 AM

I'd recommend getting Acrobat if you're going to press. The built-in Print to PDF creates RGB PDFs without bleed or printer's marks, so if you're doing four-color work you may find the PDFs it produces to be unsuitable.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #7094 12/29/09 07:32 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for the replies on PDFs. I've emailed a PDF'd front page to The Printer(man) but for some reason he don't appear to be working today. Hope he's having a good break.

I've output an OSX-generated PDF and compared it to the original front page which was printed (by the PrinterMan) two weeks ago, the size is identical.

No colour in our publication, no photos or ads either, TG, so no need to worry about bleed.

There's another thing now - isn't there always? I'll start a new thread.

Last edited by Bensheim; 12/29/09 07:40 PM.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard