FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: TechTool Protection eats up >half HD space
jchuzi #6760 12/16/09 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I decided to follow that recommendation by Hal and yourself, so I excluded those folders.

You should follow that up by going to /Library/Application Support/, slide into Time Machine, navigate to any snapshot, and select the TechTool Protection folder. Then choose 'Delete all backups of "TechTool Protection"' from the action menu. That should free up a bunch of space. [it may take TM a while, but that's the preferred method. -- I.e., it's best to *not* use Finder (or Terminal) to monkey with TM's database, whenever possible... but rather, request TM to do its own cleaning.]

Hal Itosis #6761 12/16/09 03:15 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Thank you again, Hal. Your advice is excellent, as always, and I followed it.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
MicroMatTech3 #6787 12/17/09 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: MicroMatTech3
TechTool Pro 4.x stores the Protection data files (the backups of the disk directory) in an invisible folder at the root level of the volume. The name is .TechToolProItems. You should be able to see the contents of the folder using this pathname in the Finder's "Go to Folder" menu choice:

/.TechToolProItems

But, above you gave the path Library/Application Support/TechTool Protection/Volume_name and I don't have that sequence. If the other folder is invisible, there must be a reason. I don't need to see it.

Gregg #6792 12/17/09 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Gregg
Why don't I have that TechTool Protection folder? I'm using version 4.6.2

You don't have the "/Library/Application Support/TechTool Protection" doobie, because you don't have version 5.

But, above you gave the path Library/Application Support/TechTool Protection/Volume_name and I don't have that sequence.

You don't have the "/Library/Application Support/TechTool Protection" doobie, because you don't have version 5.

If the other folder is invisible, there must be a reason.

Items whose name start with a period are hidden in Finder. The "Go to Folder..." method given by MicroMatTech3 is one way to see its content, and using Terminal is another:

ls -l /.TechToolProItems

I don't need to see it.

[that is an option, i suppose.]
So then, what is the question?

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 12/17/09 04:52 PM. Reason: is there an echo in here? :-)
Hal Itosis #6800 12/17/09 08:16 PM

Pardon me. I didn't see the first reference to version 5 in the 15th or 16th post, where Jon quoted MMT3. It took me several minutes to find it this time. What is the question? Why don't you know? You answered it twice.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard