Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Uploading issues
#66012 04/15/24 11:25 AM
Rain Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a Mac Mini (M1) running Sonoma 14.3.1
I have been trying to upload a couple of jpg's to a photo printing site. I cannot do this and get a message on their website just saying "failed to upload". There is no system error report from my Mac.
I have tried the upload using Safari and DuckDuckGo but I have the same problem.
I have tried using another photo printing site but have the same problem.
I have used another Mac on the same network and it uploaded without a problem.
I assume that I have an issue with privacy settings or something similar but I wouldn't know what ones to look at. My Mac has done an auto system update in the past few days. The other Mac is running Big Sur 11.4
Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Re: Uploading issues
Rain #66014 04/15/24 09:29 PM

I have some thoughts -- and they are just that -- thoughts. So FWIW...
  1. Try flushing your browser caches
  2. Your files may exceed the file size limits allowed by the sites.
  3. If the files were downloaded from an internet site, they may have DRM protection.
  4. If you have a VPN, try uploading the files with VPN turned ON,
  5. if you don't have VPN go to System Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud+ and turn Private Relay ON

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #66016 04/16/24 06:37 AM
Rain Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm thinking that it wont be numbers 2+3 because I have successfully uploaded the same file with the other Mac.
I will look at the others though

joemikeb #66017 04/17/24 05:38 PM
Rain Offline OP
OP Offline

No luck with those ideas (i don't have iCloud+ or a VPN). Clearing the cache didn't make any difference.

I'm thinking back over the past week and the only things I can remember changing are:
1 I gave permission to a camera firmware update app (OM Systems) to access my Mac
2 An auto update to Sonoma 14.3.1 was installed
3 I am also getting a regular error message (on YouTube) "CONNECT TO INTERNET - Your'e offline check your connection" This is resolved easily by pressing the "RETRY" button

Any other suggestions gladly considered.

Last edited by Rain; 04/17/24 06:03 PM.
Rain #66018 04/17/24 07:12 PM

I know you have tried at least two different browsers, but Since the privacy and security settings in macOS are more oriented toward preventing incoming malware, it occurs to me the culprit might be related to a browser extension used in both the browsers you have tried.
  • Try disabling any extensions in Safari and then attempting the upload
  • Performing a safe boot should pretty well eliminate any blocking from your computer.
  • On the off-chance the files may have been damaged during the transfer, have you tried reloading the files from their original source?

AI and DuckDuckGo searches turned up several similar posts involving Microsoft's One Drive, but none of those solutions appeared appropriate. I did find this from CleanMyMac (which purports to be a sovereign cure for everything) but I have no experience with the product and would not suggest it, if it weren't for the 7-day free trial. It is also available on the App Store where it gets mixed reviews.

— Albert Einstein
Rain #66019 04/17/24 09:09 PM

Try Firefox. I frequently have issues in Safari that don't affect me in the Firefox.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #66020 04/17/24 09:53 PM
Rain Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, I will try, But this seems to be wider than the browser. My AirDrop is now not working, and I can't send emails either, (not sure if that might have been linked to clearing the cache?).
I can however receive emails (but not AirDrops).
I will try a Safe Boot.

Rain #66025 04/18/24 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rain
Hi, I will try, But this seems to be wider than the browser. My AirDrop is now not working, and I can't send emails either, (not sure if that might have been linked to clearing the cache?).
I can however receive emails (but not AirDrops).
I will try a Safe Boot.
The only side effect of deleting cache files is operations may be a bit slower until the cache files are rebuilt, which happens the first time the app is used after the files are deleted. When I worked for Microsoft training their tech support "engineers" there were two quick fixes commonly used when an immediate "fix" did not present itself.
  1. Reboot and if that didn't work
  2. Re-install

Although that didn't reveal the cause, roughly ²∕₃ of the time it solved the user's problem and saved everyone a lot of time.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #66026 04/19/24 05:11 PM
Rain Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes you are right, Re-Install is often the way to go. 66.6% of problems solved!
I have done this and I can now send emails and AirDrops. The critical test will be the upload to my Cloud based back-up tonight.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Rain #66027 04/19/24 08:36 PM

As they say in the piney woods of east Texas
Even a blind pig can find a few acorns laugh

Something had become unraveled deep in your system which might have taken weeks to find, much less fix. I and my fellow denizens of FineTunedMac tend to be curious about the why and lose sight of the point of the exercise, which is to fix the problem. Thanks for reminding me of that. tongue

I have my fingers crossed waiting to hear how the upload went.

FURTHER SUGGESTIONS:

The fact that additional problems were cropping up suggests things were still unraveling. For future peace of mind…
  • Run Apple Diagnostics (not the most robust or informative but they are free and can identify any glaring hardware issues)
  • Run Etrecheck Pro. It is a diagnostic tool that can indicate existing or potential problem areas and can assist in simple tasks such as deleting problematic files, but it is not a "fixit" utility. The free version provides basic information, the paid version provides additional analysis to aid in understanding what the basic data is telling you. But both leave any actions to the user's discretion.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #66028 04/23/24 06:11 AM
Rain Offline OP
OP Offline

All seems to be okay. I appreciate your help with this.
It's been a long time since any of my Macs gave me any problems, great to know that this forum is still available to help.
I will try your other suggestions.
Thanks again.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard