for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Updates and printers
#65977 04/06/24 07:30 AM
OP Online

Every time I update macOS these days I've got to reinstall my printer unlike in times gone by when my printer was perpetuated.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I wonder if it's because my printer is always disconnected when I update, although that has always been the case.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Updates and printers
artie505 #65978 04/06/24 12:54 PM

My issue is not the same as yours but maybe it will be of use. Whenever I have updated Big Sur, AirPrint becomes the printer driver. I have to delete the printer, download the appropriate driver from Epson, and reinstall the driver. As it happens, I like the Epson driver and don't want AirPrint.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #65980 04/06/24 05:36 PM
OP Online

Thanks, Jon. Not the same, but alng the same lines. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #65981 04/06/24 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
I wonder if it's because my printer is always disconnected when I update, although that has always been the case.
That should be easy enough to check out the next time you update the OS. Another possibility is Apple is updating your driver with a more recent version that is incompatible with an elderly printer?

Originally Posted by jchusi
My issue is not the same as yours but maybe it will be of use. Whenever I have updated Big Sur, AirPrint becomes the printer driver. I have to delete the printer, download the appropriate driver from Epson, and reinstall the driver. As it happens, I like the Epson driver and don't want AirPrint.
I intentionally choose printers that are compatible with AirPrint because they not only work wirelessly with my Mac Studio, they are also fully compatible with my iPhone and iPad, without the annoyance of adding third-party printer apps, that are not fully functional.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney
joemikeb #65982 04/06/24 08:36 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by joemikeb
That should be easy enough to check out the next time you update the OS. Another possibility is Apple is updating your driver with a more recent version that is incompatible with an elderly printer?

I'll TRY to remember to attach my printer and turn it on next time there's an update. The thought has never occurred to me prior to my posting this.

Your other possibility is a no-go, because my driver is Canon proprietary software that's not addressed by Apple.

artie505 #65984 04/06/24 09:34 PM

Your other possibility is a no-go, because my driver is Canon proprietary software that's not addressed by Apple.

Which is why I got rid of my Canon printer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--Walt Disney
joemikeb #65986 04/06/24 09:44 PM

Thread moved from MacOS to Peripherals and multimedia as the more apporpirate venue.

Mike Bailey

--Walt Disney
joemikeb #65988 04/07/24 01:27 AM
OP Online

I've never had a problem with my $72 Canon imageCLASS LBP6000 laser printer which is going on 11 years old. Its driver has been updated regularly, even though it was discontinued maybe 5 years ago, with its replacement's compatible driver, so it's still up to date.

I hold my breath with every new macOS upgrade, but so far Canon has been reliable.

artie505 #65995 04/10/24 10:49 PM

I've never had a problem with my $72 Canon imageCLASS LBP6000 laser printer which is going on 11 years old. Its driver has been updated regularly, even though it was discontinued maybe 5 years ago, with its replacement's compatible driver, so it's still up to date.

I hold my breath with every new macOS upgrade, but so far Canon has been reliable.

I just realized that I was way off base when I wrote that. I got rid of a Brother printer and replaced it with a Canon G3060 because of driver issues. I bought the G3060 because it supports Air-Print, but the Canon drivers are excellent, support both printing and scanning wirelessly, and are rigorously kept up to date. I noticed my error when I quit taking the painkiller I was on pending knee surgery, and wanted to correct my error.

--Walt Disney
joemikeb #65996 04/10/24 11:34 PM
OP Online

I noticed my error when I quit taking the painkiller I was on pending knee surgery, and wanted to correct my error.
That painkiller may also explain the post you inexplicably signed as "Mike Bailey" last week.

Good luck with your surgery! smile

joemikeb #65997 04/11/24 06:56 PM

I noticed my error when I quit taking the painkiller I was on pending knee surgery, and wanted to correct my error.
Ditto artie's best wishes for a successful outcome from your surgery. Although it ain't anatomically correct, I think it's safe to say that knee problems are really a pain in the _ _ _.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #65998 04/11/24 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
Ditto artie's best wishes for a successful outcome from your surgery. Although it ain't anatomically correct, I think it's safe to say that knee problems are really a pain in the _ _ _.
...and I am tired of sitting on it.

--Walt Disney

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard